News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Return of the Tamiya Velociraptors

Started by Sumo, April 11, 2013, 05:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sumo

A sudden urge to spring clean got me started on the deinonychosaur shelf, and I thought it was time some of the little guys got a makeover.

I still can't get the hang of sculpting feathers, but thanks to an abandoned Warhammer kit I had some spare wings. My first attempt was attaching the wings to the existing arms (as seen on the black one), but I don't think there's any doubt that the other solution (just wings w/ extra fingers attached) works better.

Not quite done, needs some detail work.
Coloring loosely based on the sun bittern. Once I had stuck the wings on in this "displaying" pose eyespots seemed like the natural thing to do...

This one turned out a bit cormorant-like, I think...

These models are really nice - it's almost a shame to obscure all the skin detail with feathers, so I've kept a few naked retroraptors as well.
They're damn fiddly to put together, though, and I can't imagine why they thought it would be a good idea to make the sickle claw a  separate piece. Nobody cares about the stubby-fingered and clumsy! :'(
"It is only a matter of time before the ents of justice arrive, and demonstrate the true, amphisbaenian origin of Mammalia. Then we will be free!"
- Dr Darren Naish

tyrantqueen

I like the colour schemes you gave them :)

Himmapaan

Now that is a neat solution for the wings! Really lovely paintwork too.

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Blade-of-the-Moon

Patrx

They look great! I like the eyespots on the wings of the brown one.

ZoPteryx

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Horridus

Really nice! I particularly like the black & white one (but then I would...my favourite birds are magpies).
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Sumo

Another one! Does this qualify as a Sparkleraptor? I'm finding inspiration in various bird books, and this one is loosely based on the red-legged comrorant.

A non-Tamiya sneaked in... I found another set of the Games Workshop quasidinosaurs, and thought it was time for another round of customizing them. 
An original (there are two different head and leg poses):

It's almost a shame to cover up all that lovely scale detail*, so my first attempts turned out very gorilla suit-y.
* - look at the harness-free version... flawed, but gorgeous.

Later efforts were more realistically feathered...

... but now I've got WINGS! ;D

(Wings shamelessly poached from a Kinder egg figure (the cormorant-like bird from the last Ice Age movie).) Of course there are hands, and getting them stuck on properly(ish) was a nightmare.

I don't name all my dinosaurs, but halfway through resculpting this one I started referring to her as "the lioness"... with an identity like that of course I had to paint her yellow. Still on the fence about the wing color, should I go with white, brown, body color, or striped?

"It is only a matter of time before the ents of justice arrive, and demonstrate the true, amphisbaenian origin of Mammalia. Then we will be free!"
- Dr Darren Naish

Sumo

Yet another fluffball. This one took ages and wasn't fun at all... I was almost done painting it when I completely changed my mind and wound up resculpting the entire head. 
- Dr Darren Naish

Sumo

*bump*
If this is one of those "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" occasions I want to make it clear that I'd much rather be told that I suck, just as long as you explain why. I'm trying to learn, after all! :)
- Dr Darren Naish

darylj

I am a huge fan of custom figures, and honestly, these are great! The third, and fith are my favourite. I think they have thrthr best paint job.

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.