News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Sideshow Apatosaurus

Started by DinoLord, March 29, 2014, 04:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoLord

postsaurischian

The Apatosaurus statue is about 1:20 (I wouldn't call it a "figure").

DinoLord

Quote from: postsaurischian on March 29, 2014, 08:31:46 PM
(I wouldn't call it a "figure").
Maquette then.  ;)

Thanks for the info. Now to find other statuettes to compliment it...

tyrantqueen

Wish Sideshow would make more sauropods :'(

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on March 29, 2014, 09:08:02 PM
Wish Sideshow would make more sauropods :'(

Wish everyone would make more , larger, sauropods. ;)

rfdelgado

There IS a Camarasaurus maquette as well...

dinoking

I measured the model for scale accuracy and it is 1/22 scale . That estimate is based on an 84 foot animal measured down the spine from nose to tip of the tale. The mearument for the hip height of the model also confirms that it is 1/22 scale. That makes the model the same scale as most of the modern animals (Horses, Farm life and various  Wild Life ) in the Schleich toy line if yoy are interested in making comparisons.

DinoLord

Quote from: dinoking on April 01, 2014, 01:02:27 AM
I measured the model for scale accuracy and it is 1/22 scale . That estimate is based on an 84 foot animal measured down the spine from nose to tip of the tale. The mearument for the hip height of the model also confirms that it is 1/22 scale. That makes the model the same scale as most of the modern animals (Horses, Farm life and various  Wild Life ) in the Schleich toy line if yoy are interested in making comparisons.
Thanks for the details. Which specimen of Apatosaurus did you compare it to? If I remember correctly the maquette is supposed to depict A. louisae.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: rfdelgado on April 01, 2014, 12:06:39 AM
There IS a Camarasaurus maquette as well...

There certainly is..not that I saw much of it admiring the Allosaurs.. lol

dinoking

The size measurments are for A. Louisae  (Average lenght of 75 ft. with a Maximum length of 85 ft. and hip height of 15 ft).

The models lenght is 45.5 " and  hip height  is 8.25".  I strive for exact scale model accuracy for my dinos so I use a formula to measure my models to within 1/16th of an inch.  A 6 ft. tall human in 1/22 scale is 3.25" tall so if you convert that to 1/16's it is 52 (3.25 x 16 =52). The formula is as follows: Model length/Height divided by  the height of a 6ft. tall " scale" human  multiplied by 6= the animals actual size. 

For this particular model the calculations are as follows:

Model  length  of 45.5 " x 16 = 728 (model lenght in 1/16's)  divided by 3.25 " x 16 = 52 (scale model 6ft.tall human in 1/16's) x 6=  leght of animal in 1/22 scale.
Lenght: 728 divided by 52 =  14" x 6 = 84 ft.

Model Hip Height of 8.25" x 16 = 132 (models hip height in 1/16) divided by 3.25" = 52 (scale model 6 ft tall human in 1/16's) x6 = hip heigth of animal in 1/22 scale.
hip height: 132 divided by 52 =2.5" x 6 = 15 ft.

So you see using this formulas the ideal scale for this model is definetly 1/22 scale.

Also , one last note . The Horizen Brachiosaurus model is in this same approximate 1/22 scale and goes great with the Sideshow Apatosaurus .

postsaurischian

:) Great! Thanks for clarifying that, dinoking. Very helpful.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dinoking on April 01, 2014, 08:22:25 AM
The size measurments are for A. Louisae  (Average lenght of 75 ft. with a Maximum length of 85 ft. and hip height of 15 ft).

The models lenght is 45.5 " and  hip height  is 8.25".  I strive for exact scale model accuracy for my dinos so I use a formula to measure my models to within 1/16th of an inch.  A 6 ft. tall human in 1/22 scale is 3.25" tall so if you convert that to 1/16's it is 52 (3.25 x 16 =52). The formula is as follows: Model length/Height divided by  the height of a 6ft. tall " scale" human  multiplied by 6= the animals actual size. 

For this particular model the calculations are as follows:

Model  length  of 45.5 " x 16 = 728 (model lenght in 1/16's)  divided by 3.25 " x 16 = 52 (scale model 6ft.tall human in 1/16's) x 6=  leght of animal in 1/22 scale.
Lenght: 728 divided by 52 =  14" x 6 = 84 ft.

Model Hip Height of 8.25" x 16 = 132 (models hip height in 1/16) divided by 3.25" = 52 (scale model 6 ft tall human in 1/16's) x6 = hip heigth of animal in 1/22 scale.
hip height: 132 divided by 52 =2.5" x 6 = 15 ft.

So you see using this formulas the ideal scale for this model is definetly 1/22 scale.

Also , one last note . The Horizen Brachiosaurus model is in this same approximate 1/22 scale and goes great with the Sideshow Apatosaurus .

It would make a great comparison piece !

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.