News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Prehistoric mammal toys

Started by SabertoothKittens, January 13, 2014, 06:18:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SabertoothKittens

So, does anyone here collect prehistoric mammal toys? (in addition to other post-dinosaur extinct creatures) I really want to, but there's very little variety at the moment, so I'm going to hold off until I can find more than just smilodon, a few different mammoths and a gastornis.

Who here has a collection? In your opinion, what company makes the best prehistoric mammals, in terms of accuracy, detail, and quality? Are there any specific toys that you particularly love?

What prehistoric mammals do you think should have toys, or more toys, of? Personally I wouldn't mind a few more variations of megatherium, paraceratherium, and andrewsarchus. A baisosaurus, one larger than the Safari Toob one, would be wonderful. But mostly I want to see toys of the ones that don't really have many (widely available) toys yet. I'd LOVE to get a cave lion. Or, how cool would a megaloceros be? More prehistoric horses and rhinos, chalicotheres, camels, protocertids, giraffes, and more. For more specifics, I'd like a protypotherium, aurochs, tasaidamotherium, dire wolves, epicyon, gigantopithecus, and miracinonyx. While we're at it, more post-cretaceous birds would be pretty great. Terror birds, elephant birds, moa, and so on.

Everything_Dinosaur

Unfortunately, the Dinosauria still dominates the mainstream manufacturer's although there have been two recently introduced Terror Bird (Gastornis - Safari Ltd) and the larger Kelenken from Collecta.  We (Everything Dinosaur) have got a good working relationship with Collecta and their Deinotherium and Megacerops are most impressive.  There are a number of model ranges out there, Bullyland, Safari Ltd and Collecta to name but three, although the ranges offered are still restricted to predominately Ice Age mammals and in particular Mammoths and Smilodontids etc.  A couple of notable models worth a mention, the Papo Woolly Rhino (C. antiquitatis) with its spatulate nose horn is a very credible effort and Bullyland last year added a Machairodontinae, to go with their more traditional Smilodon fatalis.  If you like prehistoric horses we can recommend the Przewalski's horse model from Collecta, although this is difficult to scale.

You are welcome to visit our blog, lots of model reviews and videos of prehistoric animal models etc: Everything Dinosaur Blog

Just search in the search field on the blog home page and up should come any articles related to that prehistoric animal i.e Andrewsarchus, Chalicotheirum, etc.

Check out our site here: Prehistoric Animal Models, Ice Age etc

Hope this helps.

SBell

I have lots of mammals figures. Most of them are no longer available, and some are quite old now. But it isn't impossible to find many of the ones you listed (some, but not all).

Of course, the quality, scale and styling can be highly variable!

Quote from: Everything_Dinosaur on January 13, 2014, 12:04:23 PM
Bullyland last year added a Machairodontinae, to go with their more traditional Smilodon fatalis.

Smilodon is a machairodont (their website even says this is the species). The other one is a nimravid of some kind (the tail is the giveaway here),

paleoferroequine

Quote from: SBell on January 13, 2014, 01:59:21 PM

Quote from: Everything_Dinosaur on January 13, 2014, 12:04:23 PM
Bullyland last year added a Machairodontinae, to go with their more traditional Smilodon fatalis.

Smilodon is a machairodont (their website even says this is the species). The other one is a nimravid of some kind (the tail is the giveaway here),

I also collect Prehistoric mammals although I have far more conversions of them than anything. 25 to 30 of them.

I don't consider the Bullyland sabertooth that is being discussed a nimravid but a Machairodus sp. It also could be a Nimravides* sp. which in spite of it's name is not a nimravid. These two genus have long tails.

* recently, it has been determined that Nimravides catocopis may actually be Machairodus catocopis

Megalosaurus

Hi.
I have:
Schleich, Macrauchenia (masterpiece), Cave Bear, Smilodon, 2 Glyptodons and Megatherium.
Bullyland Chalicotherium & Megatherium (So BIG)
Papo Mammoth, Woolly Rhino, Juvenile Mammoth, Smilodon
Generic Woolly Rhino, Smilodon, Mastodon http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,1961.0.html
CollectA Megacerops (Awesome), Kelenken, paraceratherium
Safari Amebelodon, Andrewsarchus

Waiting to arrive to my house:
Mojo Hyaenodon, Deinotherium, Enthelodon, Brontotherium
Safari Doedicurus, Prehistoric life toob (Macrauchenia, doedicurus, andrewsarchus, arsinioitherium, megatherium)

Future:
Mojo Thylacine, Safari Dodo 

My Wishes:
Moa Bird, Thylacoleo, Uintatherium
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.