News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Creating dead dinosaur figures?

Started by SpittersForEver, September 30, 2015, 07:18:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpittersForEver

I need to know how to turn a dinosaur into a half eaten corpse for a diorama, the dead figure is a parasaurolophus. Can anyone help?  1/35 size is good but I don't mind 1/40. I don't like painting dinosaur models so shapeways is a no.

Thanks.

Cnrdvs

Not a para, but Collecta has a couple dead herbivores. If you're looking to spend a little more money, Rebor has a couple of dead herbivores too.

stargatedalek

There is no way to avoid painting it, because once you chop it up you will need to paint it unless you want it to look like a dinosaur eating a statue of a dinosaur.

SpittersForEver

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 30, 2015, 04:40:09 PM
There is no way to avoid painting it, because once you chop it up you will need to paint it unless you want it to look like a dinosaur eating a statue of a dinosaur.

Yes well I meant I could paint things such as the wounds.

EDIT: Are CollectA dinosaurs able to come off their base?

jooooo

The Collecta Triceratops and Stegosaurus corpse don't have a base.

CityRaptor

I think that was a general question. And the answer is no.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

SpittersForEver

Quote from: CityRaptor on September 30, 2015, 05:41:45 PM
I think that was a general question. And the answer is no.

Thanks but is there any way to cut them off cleanly? 

Also does anyone know the scale of schleich's para, the lime green and brown one?

PaleoMatt

Most collecta figures dont have a base onlysome theropods and very few ornithiscians

SpittersForEver

Yes but I'm going to buy one that does, so any help?

CityRaptor

I don't know the scale, but that Para is smaller than the previous version, which was 1:40.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

earth108

It depends on materials used to produce that figure. It's quite hard to get a clean cut in a half of figure's body since most of them are made of pvc and/or rubbery plastics. I usually use modelling saw for large parts and modelling clipper for small parts but the cuts are always rough. I think you still need to clean the cut before painting or sculpt to make it like a wound anyway. :)

Justin_

Maybe instead of cutting up a model, get this parasaurolophus skeleton which is quite flexible and add flesh to it.

http://www.nhmshop.co.uk/assembly-model-parasaurolophus-skeleton.html

It's a similar size to the Papo para.

LophoLeeVT

whoa you project is off to a good start!!!
check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Blade-of-the-Moon

I could whip up a dead Para in a few hours if interested. Shoot me a PM.

Dilopho

Quote from: SpittersForEver on September 30, 2015, 07:18:38 AM
I need to know how to turn a dinosaur into a half eaten corpse for a diorama, the dead figure is a parasaurolophus. Can anyone help?  1/35 size is good but I don't mind 1/40. I don't like painting dinosaur models so shapeways is a no.

Thanks.
Solution: Chinasaurs! Super cheap and in any size you need!

pylraster

Check out Ghost of Zeon's diorama. He used a mixture of glue and sponge to make the dead Triceratops' guts.

http://www.ghostofzeon.com/wip/dinosaurs/trex/wip.html

Granted, he used a figure that is hollow inside.

LophoLeeVT

wow the dio looks nice! wonder if the maker is on this forum....
check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Blade-of-the-Moon

not bad, I could conceivably go a bit gorier though.

Megalosaurus

Quote from: SpittersForEver on September 30, 2015, 07:18:38 AM

Thanks.

Our friend Mighty King customized one:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1965.140
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.