News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Prehistoric Whale Figures

Started by Loon, December 29, 2018, 11:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

After watching too much of the DinoToyBlog YouTube channel, I've decided to collect a group very much in the vein of Dr. Admin; instead of marine reptiles, I'm looking to find prehistoric whales.

Here are a few I know of/own:

CollectA Basilosaurus (2017):

Paleo-Creatures Pakicetus:

PNSO Basilosaurus:

Credit to: avatar_RobinGoodfellow @RobinGoodfellow

If anyone can point out others, I would very much appreciate it.

Loon

Just remembered this Ambulocetus resin kit by Shane Foulkes:

Loon

Here are some more I found:

Safari LTD. TOOB Basilosaurus (2010):

Recur Basilosaurus (2018):

"Evolvems" Transforming Plush Pakicetus to Squalodon:

RobinGoodfellow

..it's not a problem if a DTF member uses a picture from my collection thread (PNSO Basilosaurus, I mean..)  into a different thread but, at least, credits would be appreciated.. thanks..

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3228.msg147971#msg147971

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/29359308384/in/album-72157667322973960/

???

Loon

avatar_RobinGoodfellow @RobinGoodfellow got these off Google, sorry about that. Credits will be added

SBell

There are a couple of other prehistoric whale-adjacent figures, they come from Japanese companies as part of 'mystery' or cryptid series (many of which are based on real animals):

The "Monster of Lake Van" by Medicom (probably the first Basilosaurus model):

'Ogopogo' from the Gakken Mystery series 1 (probable Zygorhiza):

And Yowies made a Mammalodon as part of their Lost Kingdoms series B:

I also recall a very small metal Ambulocetus figure from the Magister Militum prehistoric series (but I never got those):

https://www.magistermilitum.com/era/pre-historic/pdn1-ambulocetus-x2.html I won't post a picture, since they're not mine to post, but they can be seen and purchased at that link.

The good news is, you won't need much shelf space for this kind of dedicated collection. The bad news is, it's because there just isn't much out there.

Halichoeres

Yowie also made the "Frome freshwater dolphin," which is supposed to be a rhabdosteid. And Diramix has made two hideous versions of Livyatan as well as an equally hideous Odobenocetops.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Libraraptor

Still, apart from the distantly related Andrewsarchus,  no land living ancestors in as more commercial toy figures.  Hm.

Loon

Quote from: Libraraptor on January 04, 2019, 09:54:00 PM
Still, apart from the distantly related Andrewsarchus,  no land living ancestors in as more commercial toy figures.  Hm.
Especially considering how important these fossils are to paleontology, and biology as well. There's a reason creationists go nuts about ambulocetus and pakicetus, shame toy companies can't.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

From looking at this thread, two things jump out at me. One - most of the whales seem to be Basilosaurus (not surprising though). Two - Most of these Basilosaurus figures look far too skinny for a whale.

The Recur and PNSO ones are the best Basilosaurus though imo.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Shonisaurus

By the way avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx except for where we can get the news of 2018 of Recur. On Aliexpress, Amazon or Ebay I think they still do not market these figures.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 13, 2019, 09:33:21 PM
By the way avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx except for where we can get the news of 2018 of Recur. On Aliexpress, Amazon or Ebay I think they still do not market these figures.
Okay thanks. Amazon won't ship them to the UK. None of the new batch are on eBay UK. I've never used Aliexpress before but it looks like I might have to try it. Thanks avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on January 13, 2019, 09:43:43 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 13, 2019, 09:33:21 PM
Okay thanks. Amazon won't ship them to the UK. None of the new batch are on eBay UK. I've never used Aliexpress before but it looks like I might have to try it. Thanks avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus

Nothing that can help my fellow man is of little on my part.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.