News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Carnotaurus in the media?

Started by Katieraptor, March 29, 2014, 07:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katieraptor

I realized yesterday that despite it getting so darn popular years ago with Disney's Dinosaur, and still being a rather popular dinosaur to this date, I have seen absolutely zero Carnotaurus in any sort of dinosaur documentary. I've seen plenty of Majungasaurus, but no Carnotaurus. Is there a reason for this? Can anyone direct me to documentaries that have carnotaurus?
What I love about Allosaurus is that it lived an extremely violent life that was rife with broken bones, cuts, scrapes, infections, sprains, and yet it just kept on truckin.

My Art

Blade-of-the-Moon

You make a good point, off the top of my head I can't recall any.

Ultimatedinoking

I haven't seen much of triceratops lately... just the new hornfaces. :(
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on March 30, 2014, 02:02:46 AM

Triceratops is like T-Rex he will always have a place on top..you'll notice the rate these new ceratopsians are being found there is a new one each month...but ask anyone on the street to name the horned dinosaur and they'll more than likely say Triceratops. 

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 30, 2014, 06:07:29 AM

Triceratops is like T-Rex he will always have a place on top..you'll notice the rate these new ceratopsians are being found there is a new one each month...but ask anyone on the street to name the horned dinosaur and they'll more than likely say Triceratops.

ya, but thinking about it, stego is probably worse off.
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on March 30, 2014, 04:35:23 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 30, 2014, 06:07:29 AM

ya, but thinking about it, stego is probably worse off.

If so it's not by much.  Many might not know the name but they recognize the animal instantly. It's been in a ton of mass market media, King Kong, Jurassic Park/ The Lost World , Fantasia, ect..

The popular list of dinos is like this I think, in no particular order :

T-Rex
Triceratops
Allosaurus
Stegosaurus
Apatosaurus/Brontosaurus
Pteranodon / Pterodactyl

You can probably add Velociraptor / Deinonychus to that list now after Jurassic Park made Raptors a household name.

Getting back to Carnotaurus..I'm still unsure why he wouldn't appear of any documentaries. Though maybe it has something to do with Disney ?  You see a lot of cg models based on film versions..maybe they didn't want to use the Disney version or they were afraid to ..angering The Mouse is not a good idea.

He's certainly gained popularity in the past few years..probably in no small part to being the villain in Disney's DINOSAUR.

Ikessauro

Discovery Channel made a documentary called "Dinosaurios de la Patagonia" (Dinosaurs from Patagonia) which had a CG Carnotaurus. It seems to be an old show, the image quality on the copy I have is not the best. I made a few screen shots to use in my blog, you can see it here.
http://www.ikessauro.com/2010/01/dinossauros-da-patagonia-dinosaurios-de.html

If I'm not mistaken it has appeared in another DC show, but I can't remember which one. If I find the name I'll post here.

CityRaptor

Outside of documentaries, Carnotaurus is one of the Main Dinosaurs in Dinosaur King.
And it more or less appeared in the Abaranger Movie:
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Dinoguy2

A big factor might be that there are no other well preserved or even named dinosaur fossils from the same time and place. We don't know what other dinosaurs, if any (maybe it as preying on crocs), it lived with. Majungasaurus is similar to Carnotaurus and comes from a better known fauna, which is probably why it gets more play.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on April 02, 2014, 12:55:44 AM
A big factor might be that there are no other well preserved or even named dinosaur fossils from the same time and place. We don't know what other dinosaurs, if any (maybe it as preying on crocs), it lived with. Majungasaurus is similar to Carnotaurus and comes from a better known fauna, which is probably why it gets more play.

There seems to be a tendency to pair it with Amargasaurus ?

SpartanSquat

I saw in Mark Dubeau  website, that Carnotaurus was planned for Discovery Channel Dinosaur Planet, but was remplaced by Aucasaurus.

Also Carnotaurus appeared in Primal Carnage as a playable dinosaur!

John

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 02, 2014, 05:38:07 AM

They really should not be pairing those two together.Amargasaurus was from the early Cretaceous while Carnotaurus was from the late Cretaceous.
As for appearances in media,it has an odd combination of movies,one a Disney movie (Dinosaur) and another being a T&A movie (Dinosaur Valley Girls)...the types that may actually end up being shown one right after the other on Showtime from 8pm to 10pm!"The Smurfs 2,followed by Erotic Seductions,tonight on Showtime!" :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: John on April 02, 2014, 03:06:53 PM

They really should not be pairing those two together.Amargasaurus was from the early Cretaceous while Carnotaurus was from the late Cretaceous.
As for appearances in media,it has an odd combination of movies,one a Disney movie (Dinosaur) and another being a T&A movie (Dinosaur Valley Girls)...the types that may actually end up being shown one right after the other on Showtime from 8pm to 10pm!"The Smurfs 2,followed by Erotic Seductions,tonight on Showtime!" :)

Ah, I think they are both recognized as South American and that's it then by many.

I figure most have seen Disney's DINOSAUR..or I did until yesterday when the two kids we had here visit didn't...lol 
I actually like DVG..it is more for older dinosaur fans being silly and retro in a good way( kinda like CAVEMAN with some nudity ) ..but the dinosaurs in it are very well made.  Created by Thomas Dickins in the style of O'Brien and Harryhausen. The Carnotaurus was more of a cameo there but I loved the Allosaurus design and the fact he was the main character as much as the people were.

SpartanSquat

Did you mean Dinosaur Valley Girls? I think the antagonist dinosaur its an allosaurus.

John

Quote from: RolandEden on April 02, 2014, 05:37:24 PM

Did you mean Dinosaur Valley Girls? I think the antagonist dinosaur its an allosaurus.
Yup,I meant "Dinosaur Valley Girls". :) Yes,the main dinosaur was an Allosaurus,but there was also a Carnotaurus in there too.Like Blade said,it was just a brief appearance.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

SpartanSquat

Talking about the Allotaurus :) Some pics.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Yup ! That's the Jurassic Punk himself.  I'd love to have a copy of that model.. :)

SpittersForEver

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.