News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Illinois State Museum Prehistoric goodys

Started by Takama, April 05, 2014, 02:03:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Last weekend My Mom and her boyfriend took me to the Illinois State Museum in Springfield Illinois. Now the place was nice, but there was one thing I was interested in, the Prehistoric cretures in what they call the "Changes" Exihbit.   Now the Exhibit had many creatures but I was unable to catch everything, and most of the animals were behind glass.

The first prehistoric creature I encountered was this Life-sized mode of Maganura, There was another one in the Exihbit but that will come later

This is a Lifelike recreation of Prhistoric sealife in a tube. the little tan tenticles would move relisticaly as water flowed up it.

Prehistoric Sealife Fossils

I found this Mastodon case to be very cool, and I love the model they made for it.

The Model

The boob Teeth

A painting featuring the creature

This Giant insect was crawling on a sign hanging from the ceiling. I believe its a Prehistoric species

From here on, the exhibit is divided into different sections with prehistoric sealife first.

Immediately you can see creatures hanging from the ceiling, most were life sized and they did give a eerie presence in the room

Lions main Jellyfish and sea scorpion(don't know what species it is)

Orthocones
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t31.0-8/p180x540/1921156_607260356030874_648737984_o.jpg

Devonian Diorama

Stenthacanthus

Big old Dunkolosteus

Chasing a Shark

Trilobite

Ordovician Display

Silurian Display

Devonian Display

and now we enter the cabonifuras

Megalocephalus

Snake like Amphibian

Arthroplura

Meganura

difference between a modern tree and a fern relative

Various Fossils from the period

The Dinosaur room

Since there were no dinosaurs, we are now in the Pleistocene, with a Shortface bear and a Oxen.

The Ox looks afraid

And the bear looks like he is stocking the Ox. however

he was just burying some bones

Here is the main attraction of the whole museum. A Sloth, a Mastodon and a Beaver.

Obviously this is a megatherium

The Mastodon

The Beaver

Different kinds of Mammal Fossils

That was it for the prehistoric stuff in the museum, but in the giftshop they had various dinosaur merchandise for sale. Unfortunately, the one think I wanted the most was not, and it was this case of Kaiyodo dino Tales figures.

I did get something though, and it was the biggest thing in the shop,

Tyrant King Rex from Geoworld

I hope you enjoy my photos, and I did enjoy my trip there

Blade-of-the-Moon

Gwangi

Great stuff, really love those dioramas. I wish more museums would setup dioramas like those. I also wish there was a good mastodon model like the one you shared. Shame about the dinosaurs being closed off though. Hope they're working on opening it up.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Gwangi on April 05, 2014, 03:32:05 AM
Great stuff, really love those dioramas. I wish more museums would setup dioramas like those. I also wish there was a good mastodon model like the one you shared. Shame about the dinosaurs being closed off though. Hope they're working on opening it up.
I am quite impressed with your picture tour of the offerings and thanks so much for sharing them with us. I too love all the dioramas and how realistic they are.
That is a very good point Gwangi, I have been wanting to find a nice model of a North American Mastodon to display with my dad's tusk he found, without much luck. Does anyone have any ideas or know of any that are very realistic and accurate? Not that good with mammals myself so any input would be great.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Takama

Oh I don't think there was an actual room behind that door.   The museum was dedicated to showing off life from Prehistoric Illinois, and there is no dinosaurs to be found there.

Takama

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on April 05, 2014, 03:44:39 AM
I am quite impressed with your picture tour of the offerings and thanks so much for sharing them with us. I too love all the dioramas and how realistic they are.
That is a very good point Gwangi, I have been wanting to find a nice model of a North American Mastodon to display with my dad's tusk he found, without much luck. Does anyone have any ideas or know of any that are very realistic and accurate? Not that good with mammals myself so any input would be great.

Malcolm Has a Faunacasts model that he can make.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.