News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

SAUROPODS

Started by darylj, May 31, 2012, 10:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darylj

OK, another question...
this one may seem a little bit out there, and I dont want to come across as stupid... but this has been whirling around my head now for a good few days and i have to vent it... and hear peoples thoughts?

sauropods, surely, were in serious danger of getting struck by lightning?
please dont laugh, but thik about it for a moment...

im not saying there was a lightning storm everyday back in the jurassic / cretaceous... but when there was...
anyone have any thoughts on this?

Sharptooth

Sometimes giraffes get struck by lightning (Darren Naish made a post about it in his old "Tetrapod Zoology" blog), so it probably happened to sauropods too  :(

"I am the eyes in the night, the silence within the wind. I am the talons through the fire."

paleoferroequine

This is by Durbed/Arioch. ;D Great artwork!  Horses and cattle get zapped all the time, too

ZoPteryx

Definitely one of the downsides to being super tall. :o  They probably learned to take shelter amongst tall trees when a storm was brewing. 

paleoferroequine

Quote from: Zopteryx on May 31, 2012, 08:19:29 PM
Definitely one of the downsides to being super tall. :o  They probably learned to take shelter amongst tall trees when a storm was brewing.

Ooohh... That's a good idea! :o

Gwangi

Working on a farm some we lost four cows to a single lightning strike and I remember hearing stories about it happening when I was a kid on the farm I grew up on. I'm certain it happened to Sauropods too, the question is...would any have survived it?

paleoferroequine

Quote from: Gwangi on May 31, 2012, 09:20:57 PM
Working on a farm some we lost four cows to a single lightning strike and I remember hearing stories about it happening when I was a kid on the farm I grew up on. I'm certain it happened to Sauropods too, the question is...would any have survived it?
I'm sure they could, people sometimes survive when hit.  Lightning can act funny. Roy "Human Lightning Rod" Sullivan was struck 7 times and survived. :o He thought thunder clouds followed him. He got quite paranoid. ::) He also had 22 encounters with black bears which he beat off with a stick. He got struck once by lightning while fishing and had to beat off a bear from his fish. Of course he was a park ranger, but still......

Metallisuchus

Quote from: paleoferroequine on May 31, 2012, 10:27:37 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on May 31, 2012, 09:20:57 PM
I'm sure they could, people sometimes survive when hit.  Lightning can act funny. Roy "Human Lightning Rod" Sullivan was struck 7 times and survived. :o He thought thunder clouds followed him. He got quite paranoid. ::) He also had 22 encounters with black bears which he beat off with a stick. He got struck once by lightning while fishing and had to beat off a bear from his fish. Of course he was a park ranger, but still......

Haha! That's a crazy story, man. Especially considering that last part.

Brachiosaurus

Maybe sauropods could difuse the lightning into the ground.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.