News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Bren's Battat bases and dioramas!

Started by Shuvuuia, February 03, 2016, 02:06:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shuvuuia

The Battat Gallimimus is the last of my childhood dinosaurs that I still own. She stands proudly among my newer and shinier Terras, smaller but more special than any of them. Naturally, when I decided to take a crack at sculpting a base, she had to be the first to get one. This is made out of modelling clay coated in layers of acrylic paint, and a few pieces of fake foliage left over from a different project. Any thoughts, advice, or criticism are welcome.

The design of the base is a fallen tree snag. Small plant life has just begun growing in and around the stump's shade, and fungi are hard at work breaking the wood apart. The Gallimimus is picking her way through the shrubs, looking for only the tenderest pickings and perhaps a tiny mammal protein snack.

Megalosaurus

I like it. Its preety enought. I'm not that talented.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Halichoeres

That's a great base, especially for a first attempt.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Arul

Very sweet base. The figure looks better with it  :)

Shuvuuia

Thanks for the feedback! Over the past few weeks, I've made bases for the Terra Acrocanthosaurus, Cryolophosaurus, and just finished one for the Dacentrurus tonight. Unfortunately, my laptop has gone on to the great motherboard in the sky, so pics will be forthcoming. .. Some time soon.

Shuvuuia

At long last, here's the next batch of bases.

Cryolophosaurus: This was originally supposed to be for the Amargasaurus, but I really liked the idea of a stream flowing through some shrubbery and her feet were too close together to allow it to fit between them. That's why the Cryo sticks out to the side at such an odd angle. What was originally a nest of sauropod eggs being protected by an angry mother is now nothing more than lunch for a stalking theropod.

Acrocanthosaurus: I wasn't quite ready to try my hand at sculpting a whole carcass for the Acro to be leaning over, and figured the only other reason he might be crouched like that would be to get a drink. The water is made of jeweler's resin, poured over the pre-painted base and allowed to harden for three days. The three colors of the bases are supposed to be dry, cracked mud, damp mud, and immersed mud, but I'm not sure how well that came across.

Dacentrurus: The most boring base, but it comes with the best accessory! That baby stegosaur took so long to sculpt. The tail spikes are toothpicks that were broken into thirds. Most of the details of the paint job were accomplished by dipping other toothpicks in paint and dabbing it on. Side note: I really like the red mushroom in the back. Completely overshadowed by the baby though. Eventually I plan on gluing crushed, dried tea leaves onto the base to make leaf litter. First I've got to get some tea though.

Ceratosaurus: I decided to really push what I could do with clay and resin with this one. A waterfall and some eroding banks seemed like a fun project. I think this one came out the best of the bunch, but it's also the one that took the longest and caused the most frustration. Pouring the resin revealed several leaks in what I had thought was a watertight basin at the bottom. Supergluing the resin and clay to keep the leaks plugged was pretty difficult. The stump on the opposite side of the stream is purely to hold the poorly balanced Ceratosaur off the ground.

http://imgur.com/a/FsNfY

Halichoeres

Those are great! The waterfall turned out really well, as did the baby Dacentrurus.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

All these bases you've made for your Battat dinosaurs are great!  The Ceratosaurus's base is my favourite.  After that one it's the Acrocanthosaurus's.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.