You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Confusion about male and female names

Started by tyrantqueen, April 03, 2012, 08:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

Ok, I hear a lot of people refer to the male Jurassic Park T-Rex as a "bull". So is the female a cow?

I have also heard someone refer to male edmontosauruses as a "drakes". Considering dinos are related to birds, I guess this kinda makes sense.

Are there appropriate names to be given to the male and female of the species?

Also reminds me of WWD, how the British narrator called the baby Ophthalmosaurus "pups" *yuck* Wouldn't "fry" be more appropriate?

Tylosaurus

hah great topic! Well you do have a good thought there if a male T-Rex is named a Bull then the Female is named a Cow, unless there is a different naming for this too, since a cow is the spouse of a bull right? or is spouse an incorrect naming?

tyrantqueen

Is the baby Rex called a calf? But then again this is Jurassic Park  ::)
Quoteor is spouse an incorrect naming?
I think spouse means husband/wife.

Tylosaurus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 03, 2012, 08:29:43 PM
Is the baby Rex called a calf? But then again this is Jurassic Park  ::)
Quoteor is spouse an incorrect naming?
I think spouse means husband/wife.
Woops  :-X

It's a Cow I guess then, I did some searching on Google and I did stumble upon this:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_female_dinosaur_called

CityRaptor

Bull and Cow is probably right. Well, more or less. A female Alligator is also called a cow while the male is called a bull. Although I think it would make more sense to call her a hen, while he is a cock.

List of animal sex terms:
http://www.animalsguru.com/animal-terms.html

The young Opthalmosaurus being called pups seems to originate from Dolphins, where the offspring is also called pups.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Horridus

Well these aren't scientific terms, so call them what you like! (And no need to stick to the English words either, by the way...and I say that as an Englishman, lest you forget.)

It's a fun discussion though. 'Bull' and 'cow' sound better than 'cock' and 'hen' for T. rex to me, simply because the animal is so massive and that little bit removed from birds. (Although the thought of a 'mother hen Tyrannosaurus' is rather amusing somehow.) For animals more closely related to birds - I'm thinking mostly of maniraptors - I think more birdy terms would be appropriate. So you'd have a Velociraptor hen, for example.

As for 'drake' Edmontosaurus...just no. It might be a 'duck bill', but it's also a bloody great multi-tonne quadruped.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Gryphoceratops

That list of animal sex terms...some of them are just called "male" and "female".   :o

CityRaptor

In that case there seems to be no specific term.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Weaver

Actually, I like to split the pairings up and mix them together. Bull and Hen are what I like to call em. Or even Coc and Doe for certain Hadrosaurian-species. Why stick to conventional name pairings eh? XD Sometimes I just like to title em as Lord or Lady. Sometimes that makes more sense with certain species.

GUYS. GUYS. WAIT. Saur and Ma'am. Get it? Saur as in 'Sir'? Aaaaaah! All dinosaurs (I don't think it will with with marine-reptiles or flying-reptiles) will now be called this.

tyrantqueen

QuoteGUYS. GUYS. WAIT. Saur and Ma'am. Get it? Saur as in 'Sir'? Aaaaaah! All dinosaurs (I don't think it will with with marine-reptiles or flying-reptiles) will now be called this.

Aggh sorry XD