You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Sculpts by Alexx010 (beware startersculpts inside)

Started by Alexxitator, June 15, 2014, 05:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexxitator

I like to share with u guys my very first sculpt since kindergarten (32 odd years ago)
Having taken the pictures I noticed there's absolutely some filing to do on the head and some more painting and no doubt many other things to tune up or do totally different in my next sculpts...
I would like to encourage you to comment on the do's and dont's  :-\ :o

Here goes:

To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact.
-Charles Darwin-

Paleogene Pals

Good starting effort. The only suggestion I have for you is to bulk him up a bit, looks pretty emaciated. However, it looks like he's got a lot of character too! Keep creating though, and you will find how much your later creations will improve as you gain knowledge and experience. Good job!  :)

Alexxitator

Thanks for the feedback! He does look Like he could use some more meat and fat on his bones.  ;)
Maybe Cotylorhynchus is a way for me to learn to not be conservative with body mass, and also a great way to learn skin folds...
To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact.
-Charles Darwin-

paleoferroequine

One thing to research are the hands, digit 1 (the thumb) is a spike. Digits 2 & 3 have hooves not claws. Digit 4 might have a small hoof. I'm not sure. Digits 2, 3, & 4 are grouped together for load bearing. Digit 5 is somewhat long and dextrous maybe to manipulate objects.
   Iguanodon was also my first sculpt years ago with Sculpey so I'm glad to see you start with it. Pretty good beginning. :D

Alexxitator

Yes the hands... I noticed after I finished, that his trademark pointy claw/horn/thingie was missing. And his hands have a very predatory look to em, so do his feet... In a comicesque way then...  ^-^
Thanks!
-Charles Darwin-

Gorgonzola

Nice first sculpt!

For future adventures with sculpey, a couple things to help you out -

You can bulk out the main body mass with some aluminum foil - it helps cut costs on the sculpey, and allows for better curing. If sculpey is too thick it may not cure all the way which can lead to cracking. Bulking out major forms with foil helps reduce that problem or eliminates it entirely.

For the wires that made up the limbs, you could wrap a secondary wire around it.  Not tightly, mind you, but a loose coil around your main wires.  This second wire creates a toothed surface for the sculpey to grip onto as you apply it, and makes it easier to model stuff.

Keeping that stuff in mind, another great thing about sculpey is you can bake it in stages - build up some rough forms, bake it to make it solid, then add fresh sculpey to the surface to refine the forms and sculpt detail. If you go that route, add a veeeeeeery small amount of vaseline or vegetable oil to the surface to create adhesion. You really don't need much, it should just barely be on there.
IG: @asidesart
Portfolio: asidesart.com
Patreon (Mostly non-dinosaur stuff and illustration): patreon.com/asidesart

Alexxitator

Thanks for the tips! Especially the double wire and vaseline for multi-layer working I will take to heart, because getting the layers to easily stick was indeed a problem.
I have started working on Cotylorynchus before reading your tips on the vaselin and double wires. He's got a big egg of aluminum in his belley :-)
-Charles Darwin-

EmperorDinobot

Came out pretty good I'd say. Iguanodon atherfieldensis?

Alexxitator

Why thank you!
Well I must admit I had no exact species in mind, googling the Iguanodon atherfieldensis gave me some pictures that qua body shape and volume pretty closely resembles mine indeed! Somewhat skinnier Iguanodon  :D

-Charles Darwin-

Alexxitator

Here is my second sculpt. Cotylorhynchus.
I am not totally satisfied with the colors yet, maybe some of you have a few pointers for me?
The sculpt itself has become a hodgepodge of trying out various techniques  ;)
His head is smaller than the images would make you think.

-Charles Darwin-

Jetoar

I like very much your Cotylorhynchus  ^-^. Well done  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Paleogene Pals

Alexxitator

Thank you both very much!
I now am working on a male Suchomimus for my Safari ltd one wich I decided is a female  :)
-Charles Darwin-

docronnie

Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

Alexxitator

Suchomimus will have to wait a bit since I've been working on two other projects. One is the Chasmosaurus diorama you can find elsewhere, and here is my go at Diplocaulus!

-Charles Darwin-

stoneage

;D  Nice Diplocaulus, I can imaging it swimming through the water,

Alexxitator

-Charles Darwin-

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.