News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Combined Paleoart

Started by SpittersForEver, October 01, 2015, 06:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpittersForEver

Hi,

This is a thread dedicated to my attempts at paleoart, I mostly do drawings but am getting into dioramas. The reason for this "combined" artwork thread is that I won't be able to create a whole thread on dioramas. I'm only 12 so don't go to harsh but I would like some constructive criticism so I can improve. Here's what I've done so far...

Diorama----Diplocaulus Swamp

Made with:
1. Kaiyodo Diplocaulus (big thanks to halichores for helping me obtain this figure)
2. Magic water--- A type of resin used for water effects
3. Twigs from an apple tree
4. Aquarium plants

SpittersForEver

Kayakasaurus

I love how he's partially submerged, and the picture frame is a neat idea. Are you going to display it on a wall or flat?
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

SpittersForEver

Quote from: Kayakasaurus on October 01, 2015, 06:38:35 PM
I love how he's partially submerged, and the picture frame is a neat idea. Are you going to display it on a wall or flat?

I think I'll keep it flat but the thought of hanging it hadn't actually occured to me.

Styracosaurus

Halichoeres

The diorama looks great! I think the drawings also show promise--mine looked quite similar when I was around that age. In particular, I think I see signs that you tend to concentrate on doing details in one area before even beginning another area. I think you might achieve greater harmony by plotting the entire piece first before you add any detail at all. At least, that worked for me. Keep up the good work!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SpittersForEver

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 01, 2015, 07:08:22 PM
The diorama looks great! I think the drawings also show promise--mine looked quite similar when I was around that age. In particular, I think I see signs that you tend to concentrate on doing details in one area before even beginning another area. I think you might achieve greater harmony by plotting the entire piece first before you add any detail at all. At least, that worked for me. Keep up the good work!

Thanks very much for the tip, any help at all is really appreciated because these are the first dinosaur drawings I've ever tried.

Keichousaurus Hui

spinosaurus1

i very much like that diorama. the environment perfectly accentuates diplocaulus possible life style.

as for the drawings, there are very good. i would definitely take halichoeres advise. plotting your area first can create quite visually appealing imagery.

SpittersForEver

fabricious

I really like that diorama scene! Very well done. I'd love to see some more from you in the future!

Rain

Agreed, it looks absolutely gorgeous. Great work!  :D

Newt

I like the fact that you put mud on the shoreline plants in the Diplocaulus diorama. It adds immensely to the realism of the scene!

You're doing well with your drawings. I would suggest a little anatomy study - make sure you know where things attach to each other. For example, the Styracosaurus' neck is attached too high on the skull, and the Tenontosaurus' arms are attached too high on its chest. Watch your proportions too. Probably the best thing you can do to improve your drawing skills is to start drawing from life. Any object will do, but drawing your dinosaur toys might be especially helpful. This will help you understand how to give your made-up figures convincing volume and lighting.

But most importantly, keep going!

SpittersForEver

Ok, thanks very much, I'm planning a diorama at the moment where a mammoth has fallen through some thin ice.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.