You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Carnegie Collection by Safari LTD: A Compendium (image heavy thread)

Started by RobinGoodfellow, December 05, 2017, 01:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobinGoodfellow

I have found on the web some other pictures about classic Carnegie I'm adding to the thread.
Here they are:

Tyrannosaurus

Allosaurus

Triceratops

Stegosaurus

Parasaurolophus

Apatosaurus Calf

(They are from Seijun Collection)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums/72157690558618575
:)

Shonisaurus

Robin, you already commented in the forum that you have a lot of figures I do not know if you told me a thousand prehistoric and current animals. But do you collect up to the painting versions of each creature? That gives me more clues that you must have one of the best collections of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals in the world.  :o

I admire you. It's amazing how you have them sorted and classified, it's a real luxury.  :)

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 11, 2017, 10:01:25 PM
Robin, you already commented in the forum that you have a lot of figures I do not know if you told me a thousand prehistoric and current animals. But do you collect up to the painting versions of each creature? That gives me more clues that you must have one of the best collections of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals in the world.  :o

I admire you. It's amazing how you have them sorted and classified, it's a real luxury.  :)

No, I usually don't want to have too many color variations in my collection (and I don't care too much about it).
The pictures above are only a reference about the Carnegie Collection (they are from Seijun collection - a DTF member -).
I hope that this thread could be useful for other collectors.
That's all..

Shonisaurus

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on December 11, 2017, 10:13:43 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 11, 2017, 10:01:25 PM

No, I usually don't want to have too many color variations in my collection (and I don't care too much about it).
The pictures above are only a reference about the Carnegie Collection (they are from Seijun collection - a DTF member -).
I hope that this thread could be useful for other collectors.
That's all..

I understand, they are from Seijun member of the forum. So nice little collection that has Carnegie dinosaurs / Safari!

Fukuiraptor

Thank you RobinGoodfellow for posting this pictorial catalog of CC.  It is this line that seduced me to the dark side of collecting painted dino figures some 20 years ago.  What a pity to see its demise!

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Fukuiraptor on April 22, 2018, 03:59:38 AM
Thank you RobinGoodfellow for posting this pictorial catalog of CC.  It is this line that seduced me to the dark side of collecting painted dino figures some 20 years ago.  What a pity to see its demise!

Thanks to you for reading..  :D

Nimravus

I agree the Carnegie Collection is a great line of prehistoric figurines. In fact, there are for me still some species which are the best represented amongst the other brands (i.e. Diplodocus). I love the Carnegie Giganotosaurus, Concavenator and Cryolophosaurus even if they have this old tripod style.

SidB

This is a wonderful resource. Of course, Carnegie being Carnegie, there's always twists and spins. Regarding the 10th anniversary edition of the T-rex, you mentioned that there were two versions, one with the facial problem. There ARE two versions: the first did not exhibit the problem, but had prominant red stripes down each side of the back. The newer one lacked the stripes, but had the facial distortion issue. i don't know if all examples of the newer version had the face problem.

Dinoguy2

Does anybody know when the first more colorful versions of the original 1988 Carnegie figures came out? I'm assuming the originals with drab colors were a short lived release given their rarity. Was it 1988 vs. 1989 for the first repaints?
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

John

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on June 14, 2019, 06:44:58 PM
Does anybody know when the first more colorful versions of the original 1988 Carnegie figures came out? I'm assuming the originals with drab colors were a short lived release given their rarity. Was it 1988 vs. 1989 for the first repaints?
1988 is stamped on the first Carnegie Collection models,but they didn't actually come out until 1989.The more colorful ones started showing up a year later alongide their new releases for 1990 (a trio of small Deinonychus and a Pachycephalosaurus).
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Dinoguy2

Quote from: John on June 14, 2019, 11:21:21 PM
Quote from: Dinoguy2 on June 14, 2019, 06:44:58 PM
1988 is stamped on the first Carnegie Collection models,but they didn't actually come out until 1989.The more colorful ones started showing up a year later alongide their new releases for 1990 (a trio of small Deinonychus and a Pachycephalosaurus).

Thanks! I had wondered if the drabber looking ones were prototypes or something. The colorful ones seem to almost have simplified versions of their color schemes without any gradients between the colors. Do we know if the original 1989 versions only saw limited release, like in museum shops or something? I guess only very few were produced? I got my first Carnegies around 1990 or 1991, and don't remember ever seeing the originals at any stores, so I guess they did not release them in very large numbers.

CityRaptor

I owned two of the drab Apatosaurus at one point. So they probably saw wider release.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Dinoguy2

On a related note, does anybody know where to get a copy of Prehistoric Times no. 92? With the Forest Rogers interview. I'd be interested to read it but it's not available from their back issues or on digital.

Dinoguy2

Another question - as you can probably tell, I'm currently in the process of organizing my Carnegie Collection - hopefully some of the Carnegie experts around here can help me out.

Thanks to all of RobinGoodfellow's pics in this thread, there seem to be several pretty significant variants of the first eight or so Carnegie models. Presumably these all came out during the first couple years of release before being replaced with the "final" colors in 1989 or 1990.

But what about all the other 1988 stamped models? I've never seen any serious color variation for Euoplocephalus, or Maiasaura, for example. There's a Protoceratops with a reddish nest instead of a brown nest, but that's not really major and Deinonychus has the same paint variant on its base. There's a Pteranodon with whitish wings and a Dimetrodon with a whiter base color, and the green wash Smilodon, but that's it. All the variants on these are fairly minor and there seem to be only one variation each, except Euoplocephalus and Maiasaura which have none. None seem to have been issued in that really rubbery initial plastic without glossy scratch-resistant lacquer either.

It seems like these models might simply not have been released at all while the drab early versions were being put out? Despite having 1988 date stamps, maybe they all came out later (or the first seven came out earlier than advertised?)

John mentioned that the drab versions came out in 1989 and the colorful ones in 1990. That would make sense if it weren't for the sheer number of variants that would have to have been produced simultaneously for that to work. I count at least three significant paint scheme differences in Triceratops alone before the debut of the well-known black and gray version. Unless each was in production for only a month or two at a time, they can't all have come out in 1989.

John

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on June 24, 2019, 12:30:08 AM
Another question - as you can probably tell, I'm currently in the process of organizing my Carnegie Collection - hopefully some of the Carnegie experts around here can help me out.

Thanks to all of RobinGoodfellow's pics in this thread, there seem to be several pretty significant variants of the first eight or so Carnegie models. Presumably these all came out during the first couple years of release before being replaced with the "final" colors in 1989 or 1990.

But what about all the other 1988 stamped models? I've never seen any serious color variation for Euoplocephalus, or Maiasaura, for example. There's a Protoceratops with a reddish nest instead of a brown nest, but that's not really major and Deinonychus has the same paint variant on its base. There's a Pteranodon with whitish wings and a Dimetrodon with a whiter base color, and the green wash Smilodon, but that's it. All the variants on these are fairly minor and there seem to be only one variation each, except Euoplocephalus and Maiasaura which have none. None seem to have been issued in that really rubbery initial plastic without glossy scratch-resistant lacquer either.

It seems like these models might simply not have been released at all while the drab early versions were being put out? Despite having 1988 date stamps, maybe they all came out later (or the first seven came out earlier than advertised?)

John mentioned that the drab versions came out in 1989 and the colorful ones in 1990. That would make sense if it weren't for the sheer number of variants that would have to have been produced simultaneously for that to work. I count at least three significant paint scheme differences in Triceratops alone before the debut of the well-known black and gray version. Unless each was in production for only a month or two at a time, they can't all have come out in 1989.
I know the more colorful ones first came out in at least 1990 because that's when I bought them on a trip to the Smithsonian years ago.The reason I remember it was 1990 was because that's what my family pictures from that trip were dated.
It also makes me think that maybe most of these variants were actually prototypes that were made while the manufacturers were still deciding on color schemes and were not yet ready to be released.The exception would be the Apatosaurus and baby because the ones I got from the Smithsonian were the original drab color.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Dinoguy2

Quote from: John on June 24, 2019, 12:38:40 PM

I know the more colorful ones first came out in at least 1990 because that's when I bought them on a trip to the Smithsonian years ago.The reason I remember it was 1990 was because that's what my family pictures from that trip were dated.
It also makes me think that maybe most of these variants were actually prototypes that were made while the manufacturers were still deciding on color schemes and were not yet ready to be released.The exception would be the Apatosaurus and baby because the ones I got from the Smithsonian were the original drab color.

That's kind of what I suspected. Thanks for the confirmation on the 1990 date! Based on my research it does seem like the regular Apatos were a late edition, though I'm still trying to figure out where those mint green versions fit.

Can you provide any further info in the drab Apatosaurus you got in 1990? Are they rubbery or hard? There seem to be two or three versions: rubbery with gray top and beige bottom and beige head, hard and mostly black with yellow head and yellow lower legs, and mostly black with black head and greenish yellow feet.

John

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on June 24, 2019, 01:37:03 PM
Quote from: John on June 24, 2019, 12:38:40 PM

That's kind of what I suspected. Thanks for the confirmation on the 1990 date! Based on my research it does seem like the regular Apatos were a late edition, though I'm still trying to figure out where those mint green versions fit.

Can you provide any further info in the drab Apatosaurus you got in 1990? Are they rubbery or hard? There seem to be two or three versions: rubbery with gray top and beige bottom and beige head, hard and mostly black with yellow head and yellow lower legs, and mostly black with black head and greenish yellow feet.
It was gray on top and beige on the bottom.And the plastic they were made from felt slightly more rubbery than the rest.

SidB

Quote from: CityRaptor on June 15, 2019, 01:01:04 PM
I owned two of the drab Apatosaurus at one point. So they probably saw wider release.

Likely. I've acquired two of the Allosaurus' myself through thrift stores, so possibly some were more common.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.