You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Starlux Moeritherium and Safari Arsinotherium...

Started by crankydinosaur, April 04, 2012, 07:19:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crankydinosaur

What are their sizes... I have an idea.

Loving the new forum btw

SBell

Well here's the Starlux Moeritherium:

Which appears to be about 5" long (I'll let you do the scale work to get the height).

And here is the Safari Arsinoitherium:

which, with horns also appears to be about 5".

Alternatively, there is the somewhat smaller Starlux Arsinoitherium:

at about 4" long. And it's probably no easier/harder to find than the Safari (and probably costs about the same right now, last I saw).

crankydinosaur

Oo I think it's gonna work! Do you have any suggestions for this locality of the avian and reptile variety - or other mammals? Beside Arsinotherium and Moeritherium and ya know the primate species as well as gigantophis I got nothing. I was reading in "Evolving Eden" that Hyraxes made up a large portion of the fauna during the late eocene/early Oligocene..

SBell

Here's a quick list from the Fayum:
1. anthracotheres - a group of artiodactyl (even-toed ungulates), hippopotamus-like ungulates,
2. arsinöitheres (Order Embrithopoda-extinct) - large, rhinoceros-like ungulates which have no descendants,
3. creodonts (Order Creodonta) - archaic, hyaena-like hunters and scavengers who constituted the main predators during the early Tertiary, but which later were replaced by modern carnivores,
4. giant hyracoids (Order Hyracoidea) - primitive ungulates, some attaining the size of boars whose earliest representatives dated from the Fayoum Oligocene,
5. proboscideans (Order Proboscidea) - including ancestral forms that shed light on the evolution of the mastodons and the modern elephants;
6. barytheres (Order Barytheria) - unusual elephant-like forms that left no descendants (their exact taxonomic position is unknown but they are generally placed closest to the proboscideans);
7. basilosaurs - ancestral whales with external limbs that link older land-dwelling ungulates to modern cretaceans;
8. sirenians (sea cows) (Order Sirenia), rodents (Rodentia), bats (Chiroptera), jumping shrews (Macroscelidea),
9. insectivores including the new order Ptolemaiida,
10. marsupials (Diprotodonta), the first known from Africa,
11. primates including the genera Apidium, Oligopithecus, Parapithecus, Propliopithecus, and Aegyptopithecus

It was from a travel site, so it isn't that complete, but it gives an idea (and many of those groupings are ridiculous--sirenians with rodents?).

Really, looking at the majority of the list, it's primarily primates and afrotheres (no surprise there--but missed the aardvarks for afrothere bingo), plus the usual mammal suspects for the age.

crankydinosaur

Do you know of any figures that could work for those (other than Moeritherium and Arsiniotherium) specifically do oyu know of any hyrax figures out there.

Thanks as always

SBell

Quote from: crankydinosaur on April 05, 2012, 02:25:45 PM
Do you know of any figures that could work for those (other than Moeritherium and Arsiniotherium) specifically do oyu know of any hyrax figures out there.

Thanks as always

I don't think one exists--if it does, it is probably a Kaiyodo Animaltales figures. I know of people that could make you one, probably to suit your scale, but not commercially available.

There are some poorly made hippo figures out there that might stand in for anthracotheres. Creodonts could be tougher due to scale--there is the Predators hyaenodont, but I don't know what the scale might be (or if you can hunt one down).

Many of the primates can probably be represented by existing primate figures. Some of those groups just aren't going to happen (ptolemaiida, barytheres).

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.