You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Night Parade of a Hundred Demons

Started by Ridureyu, June 20, 2014, 05:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ridureyu

It's time for one of the biggest Life in Plastic posts ever!  This time, we use toys produced by Kaiyodo and Furuta as a jumping-off point to discuss the Yokai: ghosts, spirits, and goblins in Japanese folklore!  Even if you've followed me as I have talked about them throughout the last few years, I guarantee that you'll learn something new in this article!

http://nerditis.com/2014....kaiyodo

Paleogene Pals

Thanks! I knew very little about Yokai until now. Fascinating and inspirational.

Ridureyu

I'm already beginning work on a sequel...

Paleogene Pals

Looking forward to it. Your article has inspired me to create a few 'yokai' of my own.

Gwangi

Great stuff, I find the yokai very interesting. It'll take me some time to read through all that. I had no idea yokai were made into figures but I guess I"m not surprised.

My first introduction to them was through a Monster Talk podcast. It's worth a listen.
http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/a/4/d/a4d4d4cfbe905beb/058_Monstertalk.mp3?c_id=4932166&expiration=1403721158&hwt=5c40e0d918950870e9d08fe5c140af04

Ridureyu

Well, this post has gotten more traffic in a short time than almost anything else (the exceptions are when NECA reblogs a review on titter and facebook).   I'm already working on a second post, since I have more figures and have been eyeing a few on eBay.  Shipping time froM japan should give some time in between, too...

Paleogene Pals

I like things that are interesting, unique, and quite bizarre. The yokai fit the bill. Thank you for doing this.  :)

Ridureyu

Well, I've posted a correction in the Nabebozu entry!

Paleogene Pals

Ridureyu

Yeah, I'm waiting on one piece to come in the mail.  It's still held up in LA.

The blog has actually been updating, I've just been lazy about updating my signature here.

Paleogene Pals

More cool reading, thanks!  One of my cycling gloves turned up missing not too long ago. I wonder what kind of creature it would be?

Ridureyu

Maybe the Hamburger Helper glove?

I've corrected a couple of entries - turns outthat one guy isn't Enma, and the ONmyoji is a specific person.

Also, expect another post on Friday!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.