You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Albertosaurus sarcophagus - new sculpture in progress

Started by fabricious, May 02, 2014, 12:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paleogene Pals

You're apologizing for delays due to other things getting involved? Yeah, like I don't have projects that are dragging on because of lack of time.  ;) Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you are getting a chance to work on it some more. No worries, I understand the delays. Keep us updated!

brandem

Quote from: fabricious on June 12, 2014, 10:33:04 PM
I am using Mold Star 16/fast for this one! First time using the product and I quite like it.

Very interested to see how it turns out without a vacuum chamber, or are you using a vacuum chamber?  Looks like your using the trail size to are you going to move up to the gallon?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Paleogene Pals on June 13, 2014, 12:10:17 AM
You're apologizing for delays due to other things getting involved? Yeah, like I don't have projects that are dragging on because of lack of time.  ;) Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you are getting a chance to work on it some more. No worries, I understand the delays. Keep us updated!

I think we all have several projects we're working oat once..we just have to figure out how to divide the time..I'm doing the Triceratops, two more Velociraptors, a couple Archeopteryx, planning others, planning a party Saturday..you get the gist ? lol

Paleogene Pals

Yeah, I get it!  I am trying to finish up my Barylambda, running a booth tomorrow on the prehistoric life of South Dakota in Sioux Falls, finishing my brachiosaur, getting some models ready for painting, planning my next sculpture, all the while doing my job and civic duties. Just not enough hours in the day!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Paleogene Pals on June 13, 2014, 01:55:46 PM
Yeah, I get it!  I am trying to finish up my Barylambda, running a booth tomorrow on the prehistoric life of South Dakota in Sioux Falls, finishing my brachiosaur, getting some models ready for painting, planning my next sculpture, all the while doing my job and civic duties. Just not enough hours in the day!

Your telling me. Feels like I work all day from sun up to bed time...whew !

EmperorDinobot

I love the progress pictures. Very amazing stuff.

fabricious

Alright, after a LONG wait, the new materials finally arrived and I can continue molding the main part of the body. Let's hope that I have enough materials this time and that everything goes according to plan (at least so that small issues can be easily fixed...).

Greetings,
Fabrizio

fabricious

Alright, the body has a proper mold. And this time the pieces separated nicely.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Paleogene Pals

fabricious

Still only going slowly (thanks to a VERY cold and rainy summer this year). One leg almost done, arms done entirely and the second leg in queue. Also: a wild fabricious in it's natural environment.

Hoping to get this done until the end of the week. And HOPEFULLY the materials will be enough.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I think your making great progress!  Molding things is not my forte'... ;)

fabricious

Thanks Chris! It sure is gnawing on my nerves a lot.

Molding continues (got sick the past few days so couldn't move at all). If the silicone is enough, I'll be finishing the molds today and cast some more pieces. Wish me luck, people of the dinosaur realm!

Blade-of-the-Moon

I certainly wish you ( and your nerves ) the best of luck! :)

fabricious

Thanks, that's much needed appreciated! :D

Only one half of a leg missing. It's the leg that's making my nerves shatter like brittle bones and at this point, I am REALLY asking myself why I had to try such a difficult pose for my first theropod. Oh well... can't be helped now! Back into the fight and then I'll start casting.

The leg of doom:

There is a tail in there... somewhere.

And as usual: my working space is a mess.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Sometimes you just have try and experiment! Crossing my claws it works out!

fabricious

Yep, especially with molds, haha. Sadly there are no workshops or anything of the sort around here for this kind of hobby (since, from what I know, there is no one DOING this kind of thing here). Maybe I'll take some online classes one day.

Alright, last step of molding. Here you can see all the parts that need to be casted. The last two molds will be demolded in about ten minutes and then I'll be casting.

fabricious

One of the molds opened at the bottom while casting (the corpus, which sucks quite a bit), at least we got ourselves a decent set of arms with complete claws and only very minor bubble trapping, as well as a complete tail.

I'll do the rest tomorrow, I think. Hopefully it'll be enough for the remaining parts, otherwise it'll be a waiting game, again.

Alexxitator

Fingers crossed! Am very curious to see this all come to fruition!
Good luck tomorrow ;)
To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact.
-Charles Darwin-

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.