News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

My repainted figures (NOW WITH PICTURES)

Started by Mr. Challenger, August 14, 2014, 01:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Challenger

Hello guys!
I repainted some of my dinosaurs and animals figures recently and I would like to know your opinion. I haven't "before and after" pictures of all of them, sorry.

This is a Lontic Iguanodon:

This is a tiny chinese koala:

And these are chinasaurs. No "before and after" pictures, sorry. The original Pachycephalosaurus was painted in electric blue and the Styracosaurus was lemon yellow and green, so I've tried to give them more realistic and natural appearance.

I'll share more repainted figures soon ;)

Thanks everybody!

Patrx

Very nice! I particularly like the Styracosaurus :)

Lithographica

Wow! That's a nice Iguanodon in a strong naturalistic style. The blending between the dark upper parts and pale lower parts of the neck seems particularly well done. Neat!

Can I offer you a tip from my own experience about photographing dinosaur models? I find that what works well is if you set up the model in more or less full sun out-doors, either in the morning or afternoon so the sun is relatively low on the horizon and not directly overhead. Natural light of this kind is naturally diffuse and tends to eliminate harsh shadows that obscure detail on the model. If you can set your camera to "force" it to fire the flash, even in full sun, you will take the edge of any remaining harsh shadows. Finally, if you set up your model on a pale cloth (I use a very pale blue bed-sheet, freshly ironed to eliminate wrinkles!) you can eliminate background distractions (drape the cloth over an upright book or something to make the backdrop, and then bring it forward to make the "ground" for the figure to stand on). The camera will tend to over-expose the pale cloth, which makes it "fade into the background" in a way that shows off the figure to strong effect.

I look forward to seeing more of your repaints! - John.   

Paleogene Pals

Arul

wahh cool :D what kind of paint did you use ?

Mr. Challenger

Mr. Challenger

Quote from: Lithographica on August 25, 2014, 06:54:36 AM
Wow! That's a nice Iguanodon in a strong naturalistic style. The blending between the dark upper parts and pale lower parts of the neck seems particularly well done. Neat!

Can I offer you a tip from my own experience about photographing dinosaur models? I find that what works well is if you set up the model in more or less full sun out-doors, either in the morning or afternoon so the sun is relatively low on the horizon and not directly overhead. Natural light of this kind is naturally diffuse and tends to eliminate harsh shadows that obscure detail on the model. If you can set your camera to "force" it to fire the flash, even in full sun, you will take the edge of any remaining harsh shadows. Finally, if you set up your model on a pale cloth (I use a very pale blue bed-sheet, freshly ironed to eliminate wrinkles!) you can eliminate background distractions (drape the cloth over an upright book or something to make the backdrop, and then bring it forward to make the "ground" for the figure to stand on). The camera will tend to over-expose the pale cloth, which makes it "fade into the background" in a way that shows off the figure to strong effect.

I look forward to seeing more of your repaints! - John.

Wow! thanks for your advice!

Cammy

Awesome, inspirational work! I hope you keep painting and posting photos of the results. I think I have the same Pachycephalosaurus from a bag of Chinasaurs and I'm tempted to paint mine now too.

Mr. Challenger

Hello again guys!
This is a McDonald's toy from Disney Dinosaur movie. I modified the head and some parts of the body and the legs with modelling air dry clay and white glue. This figure is quite small so I repainted it with the same colours of the other iguanodon to use it like a baby in dioramas and photoshoots.

Tyto_Theropod

Interested that modelling clay and glue worked for your, as I tried that myself but it didn't go well. Nowadays I use Milliput - it's easy to sculpt and air-dries onto the model. Often once the paint job is done it's hard to tell there was an addition! Just a personal tip ;)
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist