News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Pigment in Scaly Dinosaurs

Started by DinoLord, September 13, 2014, 10:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: DinoLord on September 14, 2014, 03:57:51 AM
I had not thought of that paper when thinking of this topic; will have to take a look when I have enough time to sit down and properly read through a paper. Thanks for the tip.
I posted the abstract here but if you need the actual paper and dont have it, let me know. I can send you a link for it
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

DinoLord

Just read the abstract and it goes into sufficient detail to get the gist of things. Seems like the Psittacosaurus species studied displayed a wide variety of colors with melanin-based pigments.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: DinoLord on September 14, 2014, 04:05:37 AM
Just read the abstract and it goes into sufficient detail to get the gist of things. Seems like the Psittacosaurus species studied displayed a wide variety of colors with melanin-based pigments.
The animal was apparently almost black towards the head and lightened towards the tail, with tans, browns, and deeper shades . Also large dark scales ringed by smaller different shaped scales of lighter color, so a very highly patterned and yet dully colored animal.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Dinoguy2

Note that down feathers apparently are bad at having structural color, so the colors of dinosaurs with filament integument might be limited to those found in mammals and bird chicks. But scaly parts of dinosaurs and those with advanced feathers could have pretty much anything.

There is a catch though which is that the ability to use pigments from foods in feathers is limited to neoavians. That's why pheasants etc have striking iridescent colors but not flat, bright reds or yellows. Same would be true for feathered dinos. But ducks etc often make up for this with bright bills and legs.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

fabricious

Gryphoceratops

Sometimes what we view as bright colors actually serve as camouflage in an animal's environment.  Many forest reptiles like Tiger Rat snakes and russian rat snakes sport striking black and yellow patterns that seem loud but they actually hide the animal really well when they are amongst branches in scattered light filtering through leaves.

Fun way to tell if a feather's colors are pigment or structural: hold the feather up to a light and look at it.  If it retains its color, its pigment.  If it turns dull brown/gray, its structural. 

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.