News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Carnivorous Ornithischians

Started by Balaur, September 17, 2014, 03:40:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balaur

This a question I've had ever since I read about the bite marks on Psittacosaurus possibly from a heterodontosaur. Are there, or were there any carnivorous or predominantly carnivorous ornithischians? I find it very plausible, because there are herbivorous theropods, so why not carnivorous ornithischians? If any ornithischians are mostly carnivorous, I think it would be the heterodontosaurs. Of course, like herbivores today, all herbivores probably ate other animals, wether by accident (like hadrosaurs eating lizards on tree branches) or on purpose (like deer chasing and eating rabbits). So, what do you think?

Brontozaurus

There was a hypothesis that Muttaburrasaurus was at least partly carnivorous, based on its teeth. They're made for slicing and cutting, not grinding. Not sure if anyone supports this idea anymore though.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Gryphoceratops

I think it was Marc Witton a while back brought up the idea that ceratopids could have possibly eaten meat in addition to plants but it was just a thought no evidence to back it up really. 

To date, no ornithiscian has ever been found that shows dentition that appears to be adapted to eating just meat.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Balaur on September 17, 2014, 03:40:13 AM
This a question I've had ever since I read about the bite marks on Psittacosaurus possibly from a heterodontosaur. Are there, or were there any carnivorous or predominantly carnivorous ornithischians? I find it very plausible, because there are herbivorous theropods, so why not carnivorous ornithischians? If any ornithischians are mostly carnivorous, I think it would be the heterodontosaurs. Of course, like herbivores today, all herbivores probably ate other animals, wether by accident (like hadrosaurs eating lizards on tree branches) or on purpose (like deer chasing and eating rabbits). So, what do you think?
Yes, the authors of the paper seemed very certain the bite marks were either from a Tianyulong or similar canine tusk typed toothed animal. The odd thing for me in reading the paper was since the time periods dont match up that well it was not likely Tianyulong, so it had to be a similar animal
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Balaur

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 17, 2014, 08:17:54 AM
Quote from: Balaur on September 17, 2014, 03:40:13 AM
Yes, the authors of the paper seemed very certain the bite marks were either from a Tianyulong or similar canine tusk typed toothed animal. The odd thing for me in reading the paper was since the time periods dont match up that well it was not likely Tianyulong, so it had to be a similar animal

Eaxctly my thought. Also, Heterodontosaurs seem to survive only a little bit before the age of Yixian, do does this mean they survive, clingong onto thosmstrange ecosystem?

HD-man

Quote from: Balaur on September 17, 2014, 03:40:13 AMThis a question I've had ever since I read about the bite marks on Psittacosaurus possibly from a heterodontosaur.

What paper was that?
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Balaur

It's back in the Psittacosaurus thread I think. It's the same one that talked about its colouration.

HD-man

Quote from: Balaur on September 17, 2014, 05:02:12 PMIt's back in the Psittacosaurus thread I think. It's the same one that talked about its colouration.

Do you know the name of the paper or the page of the thread in which it appears?

Patrx

Quote from: HD-man on September 17, 2014, 08:33:50 PM
Quote from: Balaur on September 17, 2014, 05:02:12 PMIt's back in the Psittacosaurus thread I think. It's the same one that talked about its colouration.

Do you know the name of the paper or the page of the thread in which it appears?

The paper is called "The integument of Psittacosaurus from Liaoning Province, China: taphonomy, epidermal patterns and color of a ceratopsian dinosaur." (Lingham-Soliar T, Plodowski G.) It was first mentioned in the "Anything Psittacosaurus" thread:

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 21, 2014, 03:30:34 AM
And we now have coloring and patterning for Psittacosaurus apparently !!!! Have to love this information......http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20354675?report=abstract
Would love to get my little psitto-claws on the full version of this if anyone knows how or where.....Dinoguy or HD man perhaps?

HD-man

Quote from: Patrx on September 17, 2014, 08:40:45 PMThe paper is called "The integument of Psittacosaurus from Liaoning Province, China: taphonomy, epidermal patterns and color of a ceratopsian dinosaur." (Lingham-Soliar T, Plodowski G.) It was first mentioned in the "Anything Psittacosaurus" thread:

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 21, 2014, 03:30:34 AM
And we now have coloring and patterning for Psittacosaurus apparently !!!! Have to love this information......http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20354675?report=abstract
Would love to get my little psitto-claws on the full version of this if anyone knows how or where.....Dinoguy or HD man perhaps?

I thought so, but wanted to make sure. Many thanks for confirming.

Long story short, Lingham-Soliar is a BANDit ( http://qilong.wordpress.com/2012/02/21/canadian-amber-fin-tailed-dinosaurs-and-a-despairing-blogger/ ), so anything he says about dinos should be taken w/a grain of salt (if that).

amargasaurus cazaui

While I readily see your point about the author being a Bandit, I am not sure that alters the purpose or conclusions drawn for this particular paper. The fact his co-author has done most of the prep for this specimen further gives some strength to his conclusions. In this paper he chose not to get mired into a debate about the quills and their actual nature which perhaps is a good thing given his views.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.