News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Deinocheirus New News?

Started by Meso-Cenozoic, October 23, 2014, 11:40:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meso-Cenozoic

Not sure how much of this is new, not knowing a lot about this guy. But saw a piece on the news this morning. So I looked to see what articles were new online. And this article was posted just 17 hours ago. On the news, they showed the first pic here and the second pic in this article they also used but as an animated walking sequence. I was mad at my newscasters because they all started laughing and poking fun at watching him walk around, calling him "goofy looking"!  >:(

http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2014/10/22/deinocheirus-exposed-meet-the-body-behind-the-terrible-hand/

Manatee

This isn't new; although it's only been announced today, unpublished new material (the same that was described there) has been known since last year. It certainly looks interesting.

Everything_Dinosaur

The first report about the new interpretation of D. mirificus came out of the Society of Vertebrate Palaeontology meeting last November.  We wrote a piece about this and modified our scale drawing to indicate a slight hump over the lower dorsal area.  The article in the journal "Nature" provides a more comprehensive overview of the research.  Here are the two articles we wrote about the changing interpretation of Deinocheirus, one from November last year and the update published this morning.

November Deinocheirus:A Helping Hand for Deinocheirus

Update on news story: Deinocheirus Done and Dusted (At Least for Now]

Still a few questions to answer, such as the role of the pygostyle and whether this dinosaur was feathered (we tend to think it was covered in an integument, hence the Collecta replica), also does this mean that other pygostyles have been missed in other ornithomimids? Lots of questions still need to be asked.

amargasaurus cazaui

Looking at the new interpretation of this dinosaur I would say, hey Spinosaurus is back and what we thought Spinosaurus was is a crocodile now.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Balaur

What a bizarre dinosaur. If it had a pygostyle, which suggests it was used for courting females, then what was the sail used for? Probably not for warming up as it had feathers and so wouldn't need that. Maybe species recognition, or part of the display?

Patrx

According to that article, Yuong-Nam Lee "thinks that ligaments coming off the spines helped to support the creature's huge abdomen and legs."
To me, the existence of a pygostile (in combination with the animal's cladistic placement) suggests pretty intensive plumage overall. I wonder why none of the illustrations I've seen show it with wing feathers like those on Ornithomimus?

Pinkamena

Quote from: Patrx on October 23, 2014, 07:04:27 PM
According to that article, Yuong-Nam Lee "thinks that ligaments coming off the spines helped to support the creature's huge abdomen and legs."
To me, the existence of a pygostile (in combination with the animal's cladistic placement) suggests pretty intensive plumage overall. I wonder why none of the illustrations I've seen show it with wing feathers like those on Ornithomimus?

I wondered this too.
Slowly running out of room...one toy at a time!

Invicta Wishlist (monochrome) - Plesiosaur, Mamenchisaurus, Dimetrodon, Muttaburrasaurus, Ichthyosaurm, Blue Whale 

DinoLord

I have to say I'm impressed with how complete our understanding of this genus' skeleton is now in between the two new specimens and the original arm fossils.

Meso-Cenozoic

Wow, cool diagram, Andrew! I had no idea we had that much of the skeleton between the two specimens.

BTW, here's that walking video...
http://www.theneeds.com/learn/n5648501/did-dinosaurs-walk-like-jar-jar-binks-livescience

And speaking of feathers, might he have looked more like this? They did say he was "ostrich-like".

But his head doesn't look right compared to the skeleton. Too much "ostrich-like".

Maybe more like this...

The more I look, the stranger he gets! :o

Balaur

Alright, because we found fish remains in its stomach, does this mean that other ornithomimosaurs ate fish? Just a thought I have never thought of.

alexeratops

Okay, I watched the animation of him walking, and I don't see why people are calling him 'goofy' while he's walking. He's walking like any other biped dinosaur would. He looks perfectly normal. :P
like a bantha!

TJ_Terrorsaur

Quote from: alexeratops on October 24, 2014, 01:46:04 PM
Okay, I watched the animation of him walking, and I don't see why people are calling him 'goofy' while he's walking. He's walking like any other biped dinosaur would. He looks perfectly normal. :P

I agree, I even said out loud "how is he goofy looking?" He looks pretty normal as any dinosaur can be. I'm sure there are much more goofy looking dinosaurs out there. I'm sure at one time people thought Tyrannosaurus was funny looking with it's tiny arms.

Here is another article about Deinocheirus that a family friend sent to me. http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/10/23/scientists-describe-newly-discovered-dinosaur-as-one-weirdest-pretty-goofy/#

Doug Watson

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on October 24, 2014, 05:22:50 AM
The more I look, the stranger he gets! :o

When I look at those two images you posted I am reminded of the Instant Martians from the Bugs Bunny Cartoon with Marvin the Martian  ;)
Except for the lack of a tail Chuck Jones pretty much nailed it. I just spent about 15 minutes trying to sign up on Photobucket so I could illustrate my point but I kept getting frozen out maybe someone else could please post an Instant Martian image.
Here is a link to an image http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs19/f/2007/235/a/3/Instant_Martian_by_MartianLovers.jpg

I still think its neat that we finally know what it looks like and I think it is a cool looking dinosaur.

The video model is pretty neat the only thing "goofy" that I see is they have the ilium moving with the leg.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.