News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Toy Stand/Support

Started by cube5, April 10, 2012, 11:30:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cube5

Hi, I want to buy some stands or supports for my growing number of dinosaur toys. They are mainly for marine creatures or some unstable dinosaurs. I am looking for something like in the images (not mine). The desirable material is transparent plastic. I searched on eBay and could not find a suitable product. Maybe I did not use the correct keywords to search as I don't know how to call these little plastic stands.

I would appreciate if someone can point me to some websites where I can find these stuff. Thank you!

brontodocus

Hi, unfortunately both stands in the photos are the original stands that were sold together with the Invicta Ichthyosaurus and the Sega Prize Tyrannosaurus, respectively so you could not buy them separately. :-\ Maybe someone should design simple stands and make them available via shapeways! :)

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

Himmapaan

Quote from: brontodocus on April 10, 2012, 12:01:34 PMMaybe someone should design simple stands and make them available via shapeways! :)
Brilliant idea.  8)

postsaurischian

Quote from: Himmapaan on April 10, 2012, 02:51:33 PM
Quote from: brontodocus on April 10, 2012, 12:01:34 PMMaybe someone should design simple stands and make them available via shapeways! :)
Brilliant idea.  8)

:D Really it is!! This shouldn't be too much of a problem for someone who's able to create beautiful prehistoric lifeforms.

Maybe we should ask 'raz00' if he was up for creating some standart stands ;).

Unfortunately there is no 'Transparent Strong & Flexible' material on Shapeways, just 'Transparent Detail' which makes it a bit more expensive. But maybe the simple form you'd need for a toy stand wouldn't be too expensive anyway.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Should be easy enough to make a stand really.  Rigid airline tubing could be heated and shaped to make pole type stands. You circle the bottom then bring it up in the center straight to the figure's belly or chest , then form a " U " shape to cup it and hold it.

For figures like the Icthy, look for small clear cups..like those sold for bathroom use or for office coolers. Use as is or chop off the bottom slightly so it conforms to shape..done.

I've actually used clear plastic inserts of varying shapes and sizes that came with other toys for those you just have to be on the lookout.

brontodocus

Oh, yes, these clear plastic supports that come with many newer figures (e.g. Safari Ltd.). I might have mentioned it elsewhere, they are something you should never throw away! Remember people complaining about warping Carnegie theropod legs during summer (Spinosaurus for example)? For long-time storage or hot weather these things may also prevent the figures from deforming too much. :)

I have already thought about eventually creating my own stands with a freeware 3d program, often enough you'll just need very small ones, so "Transparent Detail" wouldn't be too expensive. On the other hand there's often a startup fee so I'm not sure it's really reasonable. Unless one creates a model that consists of several stands joined by a sprue. And of course the "Detail" materials may break more easily than "WSF"... Anyway, it would be quite some work so I'd be glad if someone else did it. :-\

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

tyrantqueen

Well whoever decides to manufacture the stands, I am sure they will be very popular and greatly appreciated.

They'd be good for displaying wonky/badly balanced toys, as well as flying and marine reptiles :)

Tyrannosaurid lover

Well,I recharge the figures in the wall, and thats all Ido for the cant-stand figures
When the time came out the amaizine animals that the time and extintion lef behind will be back.

Tylosaurus

Well I do seek a stand for something else, a die-cast metal Boeing 737-800 China Airlines Lavender Livery Limited Edition from Aviation 200, it weighs quite a bit, but to have it on a stand would make it's display neater to some point.
here it stands atm:

The other aircraft are also the same scale, which is Scale 1:200.

It's the only item I seek a stand for and since this is the stand topic  I am hoping I posted this in the right section :)

tyrantqueen

Sorry Tylosaurus, I know nothing about aircraft stands...have you tried asking around the aircraft model forums?

As for dinos, there's always good old Airfix stands...that's all I could find :-\

Maybe they could be modded or something?

brontodocus

Thanks! The transparent ones in the upper picture look quite good! :) It looks as if they are sold as a set. I'm quite sure these could be quite useful for pterosaurs and marine reptiles figures. :) I'll check if they are also available here in Germany.

cube5

Thank you guys. Now I know this is really a problem not just for myself. The aircraft stands look really good, but I guess it needs some modification though.

Tylosaurus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 11, 2012, 09:55:10 AM
Sorry Tylosaurus, I know nothing about aircraft stands...have you tried asking around the aircraft model forums?

As for dinos, there's always good old Airfix stands...that's all I could find :-\

Maybe they could be modded or something?

Hmm these are aircraft stands for model aircraft, they are low as height goes and very thin too, just be careful when using these as they seem to be very fragile 8)
It's that I remember these from my aircraft modeling days from 1991 to 2006 :)

They would snap for my Die Cast Metal China Airlines B738 easily and probably too weak for them bigger Resins I have seen around here also.
If you do planning on using these for your heavy Dino models seek stands for scales 1:24 or 1:32, that is if you plan on giving bigger dino's such support.

As for aircraft modeling websites been there a bit but not my kind of places.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.