News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Star Wars Episode VII - The Force Awakens

Started by Libraraptor, November 08, 2014, 06:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Libraraptor

Hi there, I know that there are a lot of Star Wars fans and enthusiasts among us. And there are lots of English and American native speakers.  So I´d like to share opinions on the title. Sorry, should there already be a thread or topic like this, one of the mods can move this.

The Force Awakens

In all the youtube reaction-videos they seemed they reacted on "The Force Awakes", like as if it had slept for a while and wakes up. But I understand "awakens" in a quite different way. Doesn´t the literal meaning of the word "awaken" suggest the Force actively intervenes by awakening, in a sense of enlightening or thrilling , something or  somebody, or something in somebody.

Or do I misinterpret something? Your suggestions are helpful, because the German translation will depend on how one understands this "awakens".

Thanks!

Nebuloid

Didn't think about it that way yet ! You make a good point, the title makes more sense to me now.
At first I thought "the force awakens" would be better suited as a catchphrase on a poster or something.

But ultimately it doesn't matter what the film is called, as long as it's good... ;)

DinoToyForum

amargasaurus cazaui

I am old enough i saw the original in theaters during its debut.....right before the sixth grade if I remember correctly. That trailer brings back all that nostalgic feeling I remember when that was released....amazing.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Doug Watson

laticauda

Quote from: Libraraptor on November 08, 2014, 06:22:06 PM
Hi there, I know that there are a lot of Star Wars fans and enthusiasts among us. And there are lots of English and American native speakers.  So I´d like to share opinions on the title. Sorry, should there already be a thread or topic like this, one of the mods can move this.

The Force Awakens

In all the youtube reaction-videos they seemed they reacted on "The Force Awakes", like as if it had slept for a while and wakes up. But I understand "awakens" in a quite different way. Doesn´t the literal meaning of the word "awaken" suggest the Force actively intervenes by awakening, in a sense of enlightening or thrilling , something or  somebody, or something in somebody.

Or do I misinterpret something? Your suggestions are helpful, because the German translation will depend on how one understands this "awakens".

Thanks!

The way the 6 previous movies were made, the force, which is present in everything, needed to be rebalanced in the conscious world.  Like a forest fire, sure it destroys a portion of the forest, but it is important for the growth of the forest and the species in the ecosystem.  I would look at the Force Awakes in that context.  The fire did its job (Vader), but now it is time for to regrow and spread (Beginning with Luke).  Just my thought on it. 

Nebuloid

My god it looks amazing ! Seen it 4 times now, that moment when the x-wings fly over the water.... wow.

Gwangi

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on November 28, 2014, 03:57:51 PM
I am old enough i saw the original in theaters during its debut.....right before the sixth grade if I remember correctly. That trailer brings back all that nostalgic feeling I remember when that was released....amazing.

I remember a movie that had that effect on me and my generation. What was it called? Oh yeah...Jurassic Park! Ok, I'll stop now. But I am serious.

I actually did not see the Star Wars movies until fairly recently in life but I loved them all the same and can't wait for the sequel.

amargasaurus cazaui

lol yes Gwangi, but Star Wars movie begins with....." A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away......" I loved that about it, the opening.  In any event I remember that year for school, i was allowed to choose two shirts for school..the yellow one had an iron on of the two droids, and the red one had just r2d2 on it. .......fun
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

stargatedalek

I'm rather a fan of Abrams work (for the most part, the new Star Treks were just not my cup of tea), and I have high hopes for this

the new storm-trooper armor and modified X-wing designs peak curiosity

Quen

I'm not sure how I feel about the new lightsaber design. On one hand, I think it looks really cool, but on the other, it looks more like a flaming sword than a lightsaber. To me at least.

stargatedalek

I think it looks like it would be very effective against another light sabre, but with limited use against conventional (for SW universe) weapons

Meso-Cenozoic

WOW! 2015 is going to be GREAT! -- Jurassic World out for my b-day and the new Star Wars out for X-mas! What amazing presents!!! ;D

I have been a huge Star Wars geek from its inception. I saw the theatrical premiere of the original and then a dozen or more theatre viewings thereafter. I've seen them all, including the theatrical remakes of the original trilogy and also have them all here at home too! (Of course. ;) )

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.