News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Obtaining painted shapeways

Started by gfxtwin, January 09, 2015, 11:34:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gfxtwin

Where is a good place to buy pre-painted shapeway models?  I've never managed to find a site selling them.

tyrantqueen

Unless the artist offers the print in full colour sandstone, which I have yet to see, you can't. I guess you could commission someone to paint one for you, like Martin Garratt for example.

amargasaurus cazaui

Have alot of Shapeways painted stuff but most of it was done by Martin specifically at my request....and a piece or two by Copper as well. I do have a sandstone sign printed in color that was done by Shapeways...
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Blade-of-the-Moon

I think Dan sells some. Dansdinosaurs.com

If not, you can always order them, have them shipped to the artists here on the forum and they can paint them for you.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 09, 2015, 05:01:47 PM
I think Dan sells some. Dansdinosaurs.com

If not, you can always order them, have them shipped to the artists here on the forum and they can paint them for you.
That's news to me. I've never seen any.

Patrx

The Shapeways designer "RareBreed" has a few prehistoric models that are available in the "Full Color Sandstone" material:

DinoLord

Has anyone actually bought one of those painted sandstone models? I've always been curious to see one in the 'flesh'.

amargasaurus cazaui

You really psitive on that Blade? Not sure how that would work unless hes sending them off to Martin first and voila...the sandstone models are the only ones I know of that come colored at all
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: DinoLord on January 09, 2015, 05:10:26 PM
Has anyone actually bought one of those painted sandstone models? I've always been curious to see one in the 'flesh'.
I remember Manuel had several different jurassic park signs on his shapeways list....for various species. I whined and begged until he felt sorry for me and made one for the psittacosaurus ...and I bought one of those. They are Sandstone and I have to say quite nice...

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on January 09, 2015, 05:11:37 PM
You really psitive on that Blade? Not sure how that would work unless hes sending them off to Martin first and voila...the sandstone models are the only ones I know of that come colored at all

That's what I figured...like some of Galileo's pieces :

I know he's been using Shapeways, I figured he orders them, paints them and ships to Dan.

DinoLord

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on January 09, 2015, 05:12:57 PM
I remember Manuel had several different jurassic park signs on his shapeways list....for various species. I whined and begged until he felt sorry for me and made one for the psittacosaurus ...and I bought one of those. They are Sandstone and I have to say quite nice...

Ah nice. Any idea roughly what scale those are?

tyrantqueen

QuoteI know he's been using Shapeways, I figured he orders them, paints them and ships to Dan.

I think those are resin.

http://www.geenemodels.com/stegosaurus-1-48-scale-resin-model/

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: DinoLord on January 09, 2015, 05:19:01 PM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on January 09, 2015, 05:12:57 PM

Ah nice. Any idea roughly what scale those are?
well its about this tall and.....look in my psittacosaurus thread under psittacosaurus toys, there is a picture with it there I think

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 09, 2015, 05:19:34 PM
QuoteI know he's been using Shapeways, I figured he orders them, paints them and ships to Dan.

I think those are resin.

http://www.geenemodels.com/stegosaurus-1-48-scale-resin-model/

They might be at that. I wasn't sure.

I think Dan has used Shapeways for a master or two before as well..so they could be technically " shapeways models ".  Otherwise, for painted figures I'd just commission one of our many talented artists to do the work.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.