News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Kaiyodo Recently Extinct Animals

Started by DinoLord, September 11, 2014, 06:22:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoLord

Has Kaiyodo ever produced figures of recently extinct animals (past millenium or so) animals, such as the passenger pigeon or thylacine?

stargatedalek

megalania, and meiolania are all that come to find

DinoLord

I was thinking more of animals that went extinct in the past thousand years or so, which is true for neither of those. However upon doing some research it seems that Meiolania did survive until 2000 years ago in some remote areas so that one's pretty close.

SBell

I don't think Kaiyodo has ever done anything like that. At all. Which is strange in a way.

There are others from other Japanese companies thought--Medicom and UHA, as part of myhtology/Mystery series, have made a few Moas, for example (I only personally have one). And Medicom also made a Steller's Sea Cow. UHA made a 'Roc' which is essentially based on the Malagasy Crowned Eagle.

And Colorata included a thylacine in its recent Endangered animals box.

Finally, one company--I want to say Yujin--made several series of recently extinct animals in a weird cartoonish style. I have none of these.

There are others made beyond Japan of course--the Yowies Forgotten Friends line (2 series?) has a wide range of human-interacted extinct animals. But they aren't exactly Kaiyodo-level.

DinoLord

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to keep an eye out for those figures.

Megalosaurus

Also you can get Mojo's Thylacine (Must have) and the Quagga.

Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

SBell

Okay, so fun fact I just learned--the weird, cartoonish extinct animals are actually from Kaiyodo.

Still no personal interest to me though. I don't know why they didn't just do 'realistic' portrayals.

As an example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEA-LION-Japanese-dark-grey-Ajyu-Miyakawa-animal-figurines-Japan-Kaiyodo-/261551257766?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ce5ab78a6

DinoLord

Oh dear... I've never seen Kaiyodo put out something so tacky.

Bokisaurus

;D Here is the rest of the animals in the set, they are cool in their own "cute" way :D
[
They are not bad at all.

SBell

What is the larger fish in the back? It almost looks realistic. And yet Yowies-ish.

And judging by the criteria, there is a Kaiyodo Japanese Wolf which was driven to extinction. It's part of the Animaltales lines.

Arul

Quote from: Bokisaurus on September 14, 2014, 10:18:16 PM
;D Here is the rest of the animals in the set, they are cool in their own "cute" way :D
[
They are not bad at all.

Is that debra ? Half deer half zebra lol just kidding :p

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.