News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Walking with Dinosaurs 3D

Started by Balaur, July 19, 2012, 02:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HD-man

Quote from: HD-man on March 19, 2014, 02:28:05 AMYou can watch WWD3D's Crappy Cut online now. What I want to know is when I can watch WWD3D's Cretaceous Cut online?

1stly, I want to make sure the above quote isn't forgotten.

2ndly, I was wondering if anyone here knew anything about the WWD info in the following quote? If so, are there any links?

Quoting Greg Tally ( http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/29qwys/iama_we_are_paleontologists_dr_robert_bakker_and/ ):
QuoteGreg here with the Dinosaur Hotel. Jurassic Park is tilting the scale for a new surge of public interest in dinosaurs. The BBC is cranking out several new Walking with Dinosaurs documentaries. But really, the enthusiasm in dinosaurs never wanes very much; it is always wildly popular across a wide swathe of the populace.
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Cammy

I'm very glad I held off watching this movie until I had the Cretaceous Cut, it was worth it! I really enjoyed the movie and had no problem following what was going on, except for a couple of bits that should have been edited out, such as one section where the Crappy Cut explains about the Gorgosaurus and pokes fun at his small arms, and another part where the action rewinds and plays again when Patchi falls in the river. It would also have been nice if they got rid of the crappy pop songs, which bothered my partner more than me (I'm deaf, thankfully) and perhaps added some narration, but overall I loved it and can see myself rewatching the Cretaceous Cut many times over while I play with my WWD3D action figures.

HD-man

Quote from: Cammy on August 15, 2014, 10:18:46 AMsuch as one section where the Crappy Cut explains about the Gorgosaurus and pokes fun at his small arms,

Good to know the phrase "Crappy Cut" is is catching on. :)
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Mojoceratops

When the teaser for this originally premiered over a year ago, I was extremely stoked; it was like my dream-movie was finally coming true. It was just like seeing the original teaser for Disney's Dinosaur so many years ago (it was attached to the vhs of Disney's Tarzan, and I nearly broke the tape I had watched that teaser so many times). But just like Disney's Dinosaur, I was fooled (almost lied to). Never again will I fall for the same trick a third time, and if I ever see another teaser for a film that's anything like the two mentioned above, I'll be taking it with a sad grain of salt.

Like everyone else, I do have the same issues with the "Cretaceous Cut," but what I want to know is, besides the weird playbacks, brief intros, and the songs, is this the cut we were going to get before the Fox execs made the creators throw the voices in? The ending is quite awkward with the way it appears to be cut, as if it was made around the voices and talking. Also, how did Fox make all that happen? What if the creators refused the alterations, would Fox simply not distribute the film?

I'd also like to mention that I did see this in theaters. I saw it on opening day. It was also the first film I've ever walked out of, and I believe it was during the scene with the Chirostenotes. After hearing a character say something about ninjas and nachos, I decided I'd had enough. 

Balaur

The Cretaceous Cut was not what we were going to get before they added in the voices. They kept the stupid Gorgosaurus "examination" cut sequence, and still rewind the river attack sequence.

stargatedalek

I didn't find it that bad, I still enjoyed it for what it was, its still my favorite 2013 movie (not counting JP3D as a 2013 movie) and I think its way ahead of its Disney counterpart,  at least there were no lemurs :P

Mojoceratops

I think my problem was that the teaser showed a completely different movie than what we actually got, and I continued to follow this thread and even with the news of the added voices, I still had hopes for it because I just didn't think it was possible for it to be what it is now. I feel as if we'll never have a film in the same serious vain as something like Fantasia, because apparently producers don't think there is money in something like that. Everything has gotten dumbed-down and stupid, to put it frankly, and I don't really see things getting better any time soon. I hate to be a Debbie-Downer about it, but it is the trend I've been seeing for a while.

There is ONE way the film of our dreams could possibly happen, and that is probably Kickstarter.

stargatedalek

It most certainly failed its potential to be amazing,  but if it got some kids and parents to see some reasonably accurate dinosaurs it was worth being made

I had low expectations from the start,  thats probably part of why I managed to enjoy it

[EDIT] look what I found...

Prehistoric Planet: Walking With Dinosaurs 3D

Apparently a new, abridged (45 minute) edit of WWD 3D sans toilet humour, talking dinosaurs and instant replays, narrated by Benedict Cumberbatch. One final chance for the franchise to redeem itself! Interestingly the Gorgons have been retconned into Nanuqsaurus.

Mojoceratops

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 27, 2014, 02:42:31 PM
It most certainly failed its potential to be amazing,  but if it got some kids and parents to see some reasonably accurate dinosaurs it was worth being made

I had low expectations from the start,  thats probably part of why I managed to enjoy it

Apparently a new, abridged (45 minute) edit of WWD 3D sans toilet humour, talking dinosaurs and instant replays, narrated by Benedict Cumberbatch. One final chance for the franchise to redeem itself! Interestingly the Gorgons have been retconned into Nanuqsaurus.

That's a great find!! Do you think there's any way it will become more accessible?

stargatedalek

unfortunately I doubt it, but a disc release internationally is fairly likely

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Mojoceratops on August 27, 2014, 03:14:45 AM
When the teaser for this originally premiered over a year ago, I was extremely stoked; it was like my dream-movie was finally coming true. It was just like seeing the original teaser for Disney's Dinosaur so many years ago (it was attached to the vhs of Disney's Tarzan, and I nearly broke the tape I had watched that teaser so many times). But just like Disney's Dinosaur, I was fooled (almost lied to). Never again will I fall for the same trick a third time, and if I ever see another teaser for a film that's anything like the two mentioned above, I'll be taking it with a sad grain of salt.

Like everyone else, I do have the same issues with the "Cretaceous Cut," but what I want to know is, besides the weird playbacks, brief intros, and the songs, is this the cut we were going to get before the Fox execs made the creators throw the voices in? The ending is quite awkward with the way it appears to be cut, as if it was made around the voices and talking. Also, how did Fox make all that happen? What if the creators refused the alterations, would Fox simply not distribute the film?

I'd also like to mention that I did see this in theaters. I saw it on opening day. It was also the first film I've ever walked out of, and I believe it was during the scene with the Chirostenotes. After hearing a character say something about ninjas and nachos, I decided I'd had enough.

I feel you (except for the Disney part, I don't like anything Disney), when I first hear of a wwd movie, I was exited, then I heard they would talk, and my excitement dropped to negative numbers, I waited to borrow it on DVD, it was worse than I could ever think, quetzalcoatlus wasn't even named, neither was Edmontonia, toilet jokes, confusing a oviraptorid with nachos, and telekinesis. And those dumb arm jokes!
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

Takama

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 27, 2014, 02:42:31 PM

HEY That's only four hours away from were I live.   To bad I cant go now

leidy

Quote from: Mojoceratops on August 27, 2014, 03:14:45 AM

I've been there many times.  I've learned how low to set my expectations.

I remember being hyped about T.rex: back to the Cretaceous. (which was actually incredible in Imax 3d, but everything else, oh dear)

WWD and Dinosaur came out the same year, then When Dinosaurs Roamed America, then Dinosaur Planet, then March of the Dinosaurs, then Dinosaur Revolution and Planet Dinosaur, and back again to WWD.  I think they all had good points, but most fell far short of what I'd hoped for.  Many of them are best watched with the sound off. 

I had a lot of nitpicks with the original Walking With series, but it probably holds up the best in terms of the overall tone and just treating its subjects as real animals. 

stargatedalek

personally I think Dinosaur Planet was the best for its time, considering Planet Dinosaur was outdated before it even came out...

leidy

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 27, 2014, 10:54:53 PM
personally I think Dinosaur Planet was the best for its time, considering Planet Dinosaur was outdated before it even came out...
Planet Dinosaur vs Dinosaur Planet?

...lets just say John Hurt >>> Christian Slater.

I remember reading some bad reviews of Dinosaur Planet, but I rather liked it.  There was some criticism of the CGI, I thought it was on par with the work in When Dinosaurs Roamed.  It was quite progressive in terms of putting wings and feathers on theropods, and some of the storylines were fun and colourful, like with the Gulliver's Travels raptor.  A lot of curled up pronated bunny hands though.

Cammy

Does anyone know anything about this http://www.bbcearth.com/prehistoricplanet/ Walking With Dinosaurs Prehistoric Planet. It seems like another re-cut version of the film with a documentary-style voice-over (from Benedict Cumberbatch) this time, which should be far more suitable for adults than even the Cretaceous Cut. I don't know how or where to see it, though. Will it be in selected cinemas or museums, or have a Blu-ray release?

I was very lucky recently, my local Toy World store just got in a bunch of WWD3D merchandise back in, including big, plush Patchi, the Patchi & Gorgon electronic 2-pack, and the really cool eggs which have little dinosaurs you put together yourself. I got Patchi and Gorgon first, hopefully they have enough stock so I can get the rest of the collection.

Oohhh and guess who's going to the Walking With Dinosaurs Arena Spectacular for her birthday this year?! Me!!!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.