News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Neovenator a Ceolurosaur?

Started by Takama, February 06, 2015, 12:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Ok last year, it was discovered that a baby of the Allosaurid megaraptor had a similaritys to Dilong in the skull, which showed it was a Tyrannosaur.   When i heard this, I immediately started to wonder if Australovenator was one as well, and indeed it was, as Thomas Holtz told me on Face book that all members within Megaraptora were Tyrannosaurs.  However when i look at this Cladogram for the Wikipedia page for Australovenator i noticed that Neovenator may be related. 

Does this mean that Neovenator is a Tyrannosaur too (Or at least a Colurosaur?)

Manatee

That cladogram was created before some new information was published, in 2010. A cladogram from Porfiri et al. from last year supports that megaraptorans belong within Tyrannosauroidea. Also, that cladogram wouldn't make Neovenator a coelurosaur; it would make megaraptorans allosauroids.

Takama

So Neovenator is still a Allosaur.

So i wont have to move that species to the Coelurosaur section in my 1:50 model list.

Takama

Thanks for the answers.   I admit, im not as knowledgeable as some people on here, but im trying to learn.

I guess I could commission the worlds first Feathered Australovenator >:D

Manatee

Takama

Ok now i hear from Protosucian that some of the members of Megaraptora are still Allosaurs.   Does that mean that Megaraptor is only member thats a Tyrannosaur instead

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.