News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Because bronze.

Started by Sumo, April 05, 2015, 07:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sumo

Time to class up the living room!
Decided I wanted a big flashy centerpiece for the shelf above the tv, and the Papo spino is the biggest model I've got. All the surface texture makes it a good candidate for decofying, so I played around with all the metallic paints and in the end he looked like an oil slick... it took a few layers to get back to bronze!

I really should pay more attention to the kelenken, it's such a cool model! Truth be told I forgot I had it - haven't had anywhere to display it, so it's been packed away for a couple years.
"It is only a matter of time before the ents of justice arrive, and demonstrate the true, amphisbaenian origin of Mammalia. Then we will be free!"
- Dr Darren Naish

stargatedalek

Those look really nice! That kelenken really is amazing.

Kayakasaurus

Wow! So it's still plastic? Looks good to me! That would be a cool tutorial  ;)
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Sumo

Nothing to it really - just basecoat (plain black on spino, grey/green on kelenken) and then drybrush drybrush drybrush - my favorite bronze paint is discontinued, so I had to mix copper and black - and then drybrush on top of that with any other metallic/iridescent colors you like, repeat ad nauseam.
"It is only a matter of time before the ents of justice arrive, and demonstrate the true, amphisbaenian origin of Mammalia. Then we will be free!"
- Dr Darren Naish

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: Sumo on April 05, 2015, 09:48:32 PM
Nothing to it really - just basecoat (plain black on spino, grey/green on kelenken) and then drybrush drybrush drybrush - my favorite bronze paint is discontinued, so I had to mix copper and black - and then drybrush on top of that with any other metallic/iridescent colors you like, repeat ad nauseam.

Cool. Have you tried rub n buff metalic? I've found for making buttons look like metal it works better than dry brushing
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.