News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Leaning dinosaur. :(

Started by Alexa, April 24, 2015, 03:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexa

I think my Carnegie Giganotosaurus is starting to lean on its own.

Everything looks fine to me, but It's notorious that its balance is precarious now and I'm 95% sure that this problem was not present at first... I keep it in a shaded, cool area, so it's not like it's melting or anything; I keep my makeup there too and I have no issues.

Has anyone else noticed this with their figures?

Also, I have a running Papo t-rex that has never been able to stand on its own.... Is this common for this particular figure?

Can I fix these with my hairdryer? Bucket of hot water?

Doug Watson

Quote from: Alexa on April 24, 2015, 03:43:03 PM
I think my Carnegie Giganotosaurus is starting to lean on its own.

Everything looks fine to me, but It's notorious that its balance is precarious now and I'm 95% sure that this problem was not present at first... I keep it in a shaded, cool area, so it's not like it's melting or anything; I keep my makeup there too and I have no issues.

Has anyone else noticed this with their figures?

Also, I have a running Papo t-rex that has never been able to stand on its own.... Is this common for this particular figure?

Can I fix these with my hairdryer? Bucket of hot water?

I don't have the Giga but my Papo running T rex has never stood. When I got it I used a heat gun to reposition the feet, plunged them in cold water and it stood for about an hour and then it went back to falling over. Other than mounting it on a base another option would be to make a support like this one that comes with the Sega T rex. It comes to a V at the top. You could make it out of plexi rod or heavy wire.

Doug Watson

I grabbed a scrap piece of coat hanger wire and whipped this support up in a couple minutes. If I used a longer piece of coat hanger wire and took my time I could make a bigger circular, square or triangular base for support (right now the support doesn't stand, it needs the dino). I have made a few supports like that out of wire or coat hanger wire. If you want you can get some plexi rod, bend a V with heat, then glue the other end of the rod into a square piece of plexi for the base with plexi glue (drill a hole for the rod in the centre of the square). That can be expensive unless you already have the plexi. Sometimes plastics shops will sell small scraps that are cheaper than stock sizes. The coat hanger wire is the cheapest and quickest route and you could paint it after.   

Shadowknight1

Honestly, after my Running rex nearly killed every dinosaur in front of him just by falling on them, I was shocked to find I still had the plastic stand that he came in.  He taught me to keep those until I'm sure the dinosaur can stand on its own.

I had a similar problem with two Favorite Co. Spinosaurs.  Neither one would stand on its own for long and eventually they won't even fit their own stands.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

tanystropheus

I have issues with the Papo Leaning Running T-rex. I've applied museum wax underneath its foot, but the wax must have loosened up a bit with temperature change. The Running T-rex knocked out a few of my Paposaurs on the way down. I reapplied some museum wax last week. It seems to be secure for the time being. No problems as of yet.

The Papo Oviraptor had leaning issues despite the tripod configuration  ???
My Papo Spinosaurus leans, but that's okay - It is now in a quadrupedal stance!  ;)
My Rebor King T-rex gave up standing on its footstool after a month of reasonable stability. Museum wax did not hold (probably due to the weight of the model). I've stabilized it with 2 acrylic risers. The pictures can be found on my collections thread.

suspsy

Glad to hear I'm not the only one whose Running Rex has trouble standing. And my Carnegie Giga is warping pretty badly. It's almost at the point where it won't stand up on anything but a hard surface.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

KeU

I keep the transparent plastic support the figures come in. That seems to help.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.