News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Tyrannosaurus Rex artwork (Look and Learn + I-Spy )

Started by dinosaurosaurus, April 13, 2012, 11:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dinosaurosaurus

Hi guys
This is my most recent purchase,.
Originally used in Look and Learn (1980) then later re-used for the front cover
of the I-Spy book.
Its quite a big painting measuring 16 inches by 20 inches and by english artist Roger Payne.

[attachment msg=5907][/attachment]

Tyrannosaurid lover

LOL ;D ;D ;D ;D michelin man, that T.rex remeinds me godzilla
When the time came out the amaizine animals that the time and extintion lef behind will be back.

Seijun

Its a painting of the imperial rex!

And I like how weirdly perfect the gaping wounds are on the carcass.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Horridus

I reviewed the I-Spy book for LITC! And I included a comment on the front cover. Someone else noted that it is basically a painting of the fugly Airfix T. rex. http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/vintage-dinosaur-art-i-spy-dinosaurs.html
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Horridus

Quote from: Horridus on April 15, 2012, 12:21:47 PM
I reviewed the I-Spy book for LITC! And I included a comment on the front cover. Someone else noted that it is basically a painting of the fugly Airfix T. rex. http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/vintage-dinosaur-art-i-spy-dinosaurs.html

(In case you can't be bothered to read it - and I don't blame you - I referred to them as "grotesque, if beautifully painted, zipper-mouthed man-in-suit tyrannosaurs".)
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

stoneage

I can't believe you would ridicule a book that has the logo for Michelin Tires on the cover!  Is nothing sacred, or is this all just a big joke to you?   ;)

Krissy

Horridus, I read your review of the book on LITC and it was great! Nice observations about the weird juxtaposition about old-fashioned renditions alongside newer ones, that's something I had noticed before. Incidentally, that image of the Ornithomimid being menaced by the Tyrannosaur comes from a far older book, which I own (there's some wonderful out of date but nonetheless evocative art in there, and T.rex is mentioned as being an impressive 16 meters long as it 'tears the life out of a Styracosaururs'.

Your point about modern Dinosaur artwork lacking mood is something I've felt for a while. It's as if people strive for accuracy at the expense of expression, admirable in a way but also a shame. It really struck me when I bought a cheap box of Discovery channel DVDs for £5 and found it contained retro '90's documentaries. You know the kind where as they narrated they showcased paintings and played a backtrack of haunting sound effects over it? I tend to find that more evocative than most modern documentaries, during which you can expect to see the same CG images over and over again. While it was entertaining, for instance, Clash of the Dinosaurs had shots of the same footage repeated about 30 times over.

Horridus

Quote from: stoneage on April 15, 2012, 05:08:48 PM
I can't believe you would ridicule a book that has the logo for Michelin Tires on the cover!  Is nothing sacred, or is this all just a big joke to you?   ;)
I'm clearly a monster. ;D (Maybe I've gone 'mad with power'?)

Krissy: totally agree. But it's a rare person that combines both the necessary scientific rigorousness for accuracy and artistic skill for the pure aesthetics. As for CG art...the stuff that appears in books is often much, much worse than that appearing on TV...
@Mhorridus

dinosaurosaurus

Hi Guys
Pretty much mixed reviews on the art , which i suspected there would be.........
but most seems to be negative.
Yeah its Not Jurassic park , but that film (and the sequels) have a LOT to answer
for..yes they were GREAT films at the time, but ever since all we get on books , e.t.c
is clones of those dinos.
Give me the art of Neave Parker , Burien or Charles Knight anyday , over these
photo shop images we get these days.
The Natural History book is a classic example ........terrible lifeless renditions.
Its true I am an old fossil myself ........but ...... the Allosaurus in One Million Years BC
had 100 times more character  than the stuff thats churned out these days.
Also the sculpt on the Allosaurus was just brilliant , maybe Not accurate by todays standards
but still a beautiful piece of art.
As they say each to their own ............be a boring old place if we all liked the same stuff.
All the best
Mick

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.