News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

T-Rex family with kill

Started by DarkPhantom, March 29, 2015, 12:28:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkPhantom

Hello Dinosaur Toy Blog Forum!

I'm in the process of building a diorama of a family of T-Rex ambushing a juvenile Triceratops. The rest of the herd will go into defensive mode. In the end, the ambush will be around a watering hole filled with fish and smaller creatures.

I'm still working on getting the paint jobs right.

I'm hoping to get any tips or suggestions that you all have. It would be wonderful, especially because I've never painted models until this project. :-[

The original pieces were:

The Papo Brown T-Rex

The Papo Running Green T-Rex

The Papo Infant Brown T-Rex

The Collecta Dead Triceratops

My combination and repaint (taken with a cellphone):

Thanks for your time & feedback!

suspsy

Great colours on the T. Rex family!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

DarkPhantom

Arul

Wowww...great repaint. What paint is it ?

DarkPhantom

Quote from: ARUL on March 29, 2015, 07:49:43 AM
Wowww...great repaint. What paint is it ?

Thank you so much!

Matte Acrylics
Craft Smart ($2 to $5 on ebay)
Folk Art ($2 at Hobby Lobby)
Apple Barrell ($0.50 at Walmart!)

Apple Barrel is my new brand of choice! But combining all of the different brands together give me a bigger color palette. Of course I found the Walmart one last, as it is the cheaper option.

Glossy Acrylics
Anita's ($3 at Hobby Lobby)
Apple Barrel ($1 at Walmart)

Anita's has the most beautiful black and orange.

For the Rexes, it was dolphin gray from Apple Barrel for the belly, a mix of different reds and oranges for the main red, and glossy black for the eyes and nails. A mix of brown and red matte and glossy black for the back, and a mix of creams and yellows for the teeth. Blood was the reds above mixed with brown and pink and black, mixed with a glossy red.

DarkPhantom

Still a ways to go, but here's a preview, where you see wood, will be water:

Arul

DarkPhantom

Quote from: ARUL on April 14, 2015, 02:45:16 AM
Wow very beautiful diorama  :)

Thank you so much! I'm working to paint the trees a more realistic color. I'm also working on painting my Papo Spinosaurus for a future new project.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.