News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Lost & Found

Started by Seijun, April 03, 2012, 10:50:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seijun

One of my firsts posts on the old DTF was to ask about a dinosaur I vaguely remembered maybe possibly having as a kid. I remembered that it was hard plastic and brown with red glass eyes, and looked like a stegosaurus but with very long spikes on its back. You told me that is was probably the Dino Riders Kentrosaurus. Even as a kid, I could only barely remember this figure, but for the longest time I was absolutely sure that I had once owned it, and I would often beg my dad to let me search the attic for it (I was convinced that it was up there somewhere). I searched the attic many times and never found it. My mother said she could not remember any such toy, and after a while I began to think that I must have only dreamt it. Even if it had not been a dream, the dinosaur had probably been lost outside or given away a long time ago. My memory was of a large and distinct-looking figure. It could not possibly have stayed hidden in such a small house, undiscovered, for over 20 years.

My parents are remodeling the house this year, now that all the kids are moved out. My mom called today and said that my dad had been cleaning out the attic. He found some bags of old toys and set them out with the trash. My mom saw a few dinosaurs in the mix and saved them for me. I had fun tonight trying to guess which figures they were. She would briefly describe a figure for me and I would try to guess what it was.

"This one has a sail on it's back. It says fun...something on the bottom." Funrise dimetrodon.
"This one says iguanodon, it's yellow." Larami iguanodon.
"Here is weird little grey one. It looks sort of like a pit bull with horns all over its face". Chinasaur Uintatherium.
"Oh, this one is very ugly. It looks like those dinosaurs with the big scales on their backs. It has poseable legs, and there and spikes on its shoulders." ...silence...

Is it hard plastic and brown? Does it have clear plastic orange eyes? and long soft spikes on the tail??  Yes, yes, and yes she answered. After an impossibly long time, she found "tyco" printed under it's tail to confirm my suspicions. She says it looks as though it was never played with. I would have been about 4 years old when I got it, and I probably "lost" it immediately afterwards. My mom said that when I was little, my dad would cycle my toys through the attic to keep the clutter down in the house (bring one group of toys down, and take the "old" ones to the attic until another time). This bag of toys went to the attic and never came back down. In addition to my mythical long-lost kentrosaurus, there was also a tyco dimetrodon which I have no memory of at all, and the other half of my Larami dinosaur collection, which I also can't remember (I gave the other half away as a teenager, but I have been wondering what ever happened to the rest of the set, when I learned that the ones I used to have would not have been the only ones). Some other things found include a rhinoceros marked "Melo", and an old "Wham-O Magic Mirror" in glow-in-the-dark pink.  It goes with the blue one I always played with (and was still having fun with last summer when I vacationed to my parents house).

The End.  ;D

My mom has promised to email me pictures soon of the kentrosaurus and everything else they found.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Blade-of-the-Moon

That's awesome !  I can't wait to one day explore my old house ( if it's till standing ) and see what I had to leave there. I'm sure I've forgotten a lot of things that are just waiting for me to find them again. :)

Tyrannosaurid lover

Well, I have a LEGO DUPLO (Kids from 3 to 6 years old) Tyrannosaurs rex, resently I find she in my closet, actually there was a mom and a little cub of T.rex.
any way it was just 7 pieces the set.
ahhh someone can sendme the First thread of the original forum?
When the time came out the amaizine animals that the time and extintion lef behind will be back.

Primeval12

I lost my safari triceratops baby at my aunt and uncle's house and found it two years later. :)

Metallisuchus

I lost my T-rex hatchling that came with the original JP Robert Muldoon action figure when I was a kid. It was the hardest part about moving out of that house - that I knew I'd have no chance of finding it again!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.