You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Zhenyuanlong suni - a new dromaeosaurid taxon found with feather impressions!

Started by Patrx, July 16, 2015, 04:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrx

Pretty exciting find, a roughly Velociraptor-sized dromaeosaur with its feathers preserved!
Check out Brian Switek's article here.

DinoLord

Those are some nicely feathered wings! Hopefully future finds will help suggest whether or not such elongated arm feathers were present in other dromaeosaurs as well. Imagine a Utahraptor with huge arm feathers - it would be absolutely terrifying!

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Everything_Dinosaur

Just when we were getting used to birds as dinosaurs, here's a dinosaur that thinks its a bird!  Expect more announcements from S. Brusatte and co. in the near future re our feathered friends.

Patrx

I am annoyed by many of the headlines going out with this discovery, which are claiming it's the "largest feathered dinosaur". That is misleading on the grounds that we already knew that dromaeosaurs and ornithomimids of all sizes had wings. This is simply the largest fossil found with preserved wings.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Patrx on July 16, 2015, 05:14:37 PM
I am annoyed by many of the headlines going out with this discovery, which are claiming it's the "largest feathered dinosaur". That is misleading on the grounds that we already knew that dromaeosaurs and ornithomimids of all sizes had wings. This is simply the largest fossil found with preserved wings.
I thought changyuraptor was the largest dromaeosaur found with intact feathers? If this is velociraptor sized it would be smaller.

Patrx

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 16, 2015, 05:45:55 PM
I thought changyuraptor was the largest dromaeosaur found with intact feathers? If this is velociraptor sized it would be smaller.

Hm. Maybe the numbers I'm looking at are wrong? I don't generally pay much mind to dinosaur sizes for whatever reason. I've got Velociraptor at 2.7 metres, Zhenyuanlong at 2 metres, and Changyuraptor at 1.2 metres.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Patrx on July 16, 2015, 05:58:36 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on July 16, 2015, 05:45:55 PM

Hm. Maybe the numbers I'm looking at are wrong? I don't generally pay much mind to dinosaur sizes for whatever reason. I've got Velociraptor at 2.7 metres, Zhenyuanlong at 2 metres, and Changyuraptor at 1.2 metres.

These numbers are about right. Zhenyuanlong is the largest known dinosaur with actual preserved pennaceous feathers. Of course, there were much larger winged dinosaurs that we know had wings by inference, like Gigantoraptor and Utahraptor.

Keep in mind 2.7m is the absolute largest known specimen of Velociraptor, not typical size. There are adult Velociraptor specimens that are the same size as Zhenyuanlong, which is itself a subadult specimen. So it would be fair to say that Zhenyuanlong and Velociraptor were about the same size, on average.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

E.D.G.E. (PainterRex)

I thought a fossils of Ornithomimus with preserved ostrich-like wings on the arms were found? Ornithomimus was far larger than this new dromeasaur.
Hello! We are the Expeditioner's Discovery Guild Enterprise (E.D.G.E.). Subscribe to us on YouTube to get interesting content about Earth's past, present, and future!

✅Email: [email protected]

✅Facebook: facebook.com/ExpeditionDG/

✅Discord: https://discord.gg/RDW4mAk

✅Twitter: twitter.com/EDGEinthewild

✅Instagram: @edgeonthetrail

Patrx

Quote from: insecticon678 on July 16, 2015, 08:17:45 PM
I thought a fossils of Ornithomimus with preserved ostrich-like wings on the arms were found? Ornithomimus was far larger than this new dromeasaur.

That's true! I considered bringing that up; it is a slightly different case in that the fossil feathers were not still associated with the rest of the skeletons, if memory serves. Still, they are feather remains.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: insecticon678 on July 16, 2015, 08:17:45 PM

No, that was just quill nodes. The "ostrich-like" wings were imagined by the artist who did the press release picture.

A juvenile of the same species preserved actual filaments in a few spots but no pennaceous feathers.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

amargasaurus cazaui

there you go, the paper for the dinosaur. I linked to the abstract, but if you click the link for the PDF .......

http://www.nature.com/srep/2015/150716/srep11775/full/srep11775.html
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Arul

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.