News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Should the UK bring back the Lynx?

Started by tyrantqueen, March 12, 2015, 06:35:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laticauda

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 03, 2015, 10:47:57 AM
QuoteA predator is usually not going to attack a human, unless it is A) wounded, B)Threatned-startled, C)Protecting it young, D)Protecting a food source, or E) rabid-diseased.
Most of the time, sure. Not necessarily all of the time though. Many species engage in surplus killing. Some animals do kill for enjoyment. Cats and dolphins for example.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2572968/Pictured-Horrific-moment-bottlenose-dolphins-attack-kill-two-porpoises-FUN-cat-mouse-game.html

That is why I said Usually, there are always exceptions.   :)

Crackington

Quote from: SpittersForEver on April 03, 2015, 10:54:10 AM
Hopefully wolves or lynxes will be re-introduced if they were carefully monitored, apparently there are still some wolves in Scotland, anyone know if this is true?

I believe the last native wild wolf in Scotland was killed in the reign of King James I, early 1600s. They are talking about re-introducing them to remote areas of the Highlands, but nervous sheep farmers are not happy about this.

SpittersForEver

Quote from: Crackington on April 07, 2015, 04:03:23 PM
Hopefully wolves or lynxes will be re-introduced if they were carefully monitored, apparently there are still some wolves in Scotland, anyone know if this is true?

I believe the last native wild wolf in Scotland was killed in the reign of King James I, early 1600s. They are talking about re-introducing them to remote areas of the Highlands, but nervous sheep farmers are not happy about this.

Thanks, I always thought there were rumors of sighting of them within the last 20 years.

Crackington

Quote from: SpittersForEver on April 07, 2015, 07:29:30 PM

Thanks, I always thought there were rumors of sighting of them within the last 20 years.

I think that was "Dog Soldiers"  ;)

Gwangi

Quote from: Crackington on April 07, 2015, 09:22:38 PM
Quote from: SpittersForEver on April 07, 2015, 07:29:30 PM

I think that was "Dog Soldiers"  ;)

Nice nod there to one of my favorite werewolf/horror movies. Watch it every October.  ^-^

laticauda

I have never seen or heard of Dog soldiers.  Is it good, cheesy, or both?  If the lynx release goes well, who knows maybe ten years down the road they'll re-introduce the wolves.

Gwangi

Quote from: laticauda on July 10, 2015, 05:13:57 AM
I have never seen or heard of Dog soldiers.  Is it good, cheesy, or both?  If the lynx release goes well, who knows maybe ten years down the road they'll re-introduce the wolves.

It has some cheesy aspects but it's definitely a good movie. If you like werewolf movies it's a must see. Right up there with "An American Werewolf in London" and "The Howling". Great practical gore effects and werewolf costumes.

laticauda

Quote from: Gwangi on July 10, 2015, 03:01:53 PM
Quote from: laticauda on July 10, 2015, 05:13:57 AM

It has some cheesy aspects but it's definitely a good movie. If you like werewolf movies it's a must see. Right up there with "An American Werewolf in London" and "The Howling". Great practical gore effects and werewolf costumes.
American Warewolf was good, the howling was watchable but....  I think I'll take a chance on Dog Soldiers, you don't know unless you try it.

Crackington

It's a good one, bit scary, but with some dark humour too. Definitely worth a look and I think better than the Howling, but maybe a touch below American Werewolf in London.

Gwangi

Quote from: Crackington on July 11, 2015, 06:09:39 PM
It's a good one, bit scary, but with some dark humour too. Definitely worth a look and I think better than the Howling, but maybe a touch below American Werewolf in London.

That's how I would rank them too. "An American Werewolf in London" is one of my all time favorite horror movies and certainly my favorite werewolf movies. "Dog Soldiers" comes in second, not sure where I would rank "The Howling". I like it, mostly for the practical SFX but the other two are superior films for sure.

Crackington

Agree - the Howling does have its moments, but is a bit uneven and the make-up effects at the end when the TV reporter turns into a werewolf are terrible! Still it has Patrick Macnee (RIP), who I think the film implies is also meant to be a werewolf -  if so must make him the poshest one in film history!

How do you guys rate the Hammer film Curse of the Werewolf? I think its the only film in the genre where the actor, Oliver Reed, is more disturbing in human form than as a werewolf  :))

PS - sorry to continue to move this thread away from the lynx!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.