You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

which dinosaur (carnivore) who lived alongside styracosaurus ?

Started by Arul, October 08, 2014, 03:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arul

did allosaurus lived in same era and same continent with styraco ?

Lythronax

Allosaurus lived in the same continent, but not at the same time.

Styracosaurus coexisted with Gorgosaurus libratus and a tyrannosaurid related to Daspletosaurus.

Arul

Yutyrannus

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Gryphoceratops

Quote from: ARUL on October 09, 2014, 12:44:14 AM
How about velociraptor and carnotaurus ?  :)

Velociraptor lived in Asia 75-71 million years ago.

Carnotaurus lived in South America 72-69 million years ago.

So they did not coexist with each other and neither coexisted with Styracosaurus.

Arul

I want to make my next hand made diorama, now im looking a model to accompany my papo styraco :D

irimali

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinosaur_Park_Formation

Wikipedia can be a good source for info like this.  They have entries on a lot of fossil formations including lists of what species were found together there. 

Arul

Quote from: irimali on October 09, 2014, 02:54:28 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinosaur_Park_Formation

Wikipedia can be a good source for info like this.  They have entries on a lot of fossil formations including lists of what species were found together there.

Thanks a lot pal  :D

Dinoguy2

Styracosaurus lived alongside Gorgosaurus libratus, Daspletosaurus "chicagotyrannus", Troodon inequalis, Dromaeosaurus albertensis, and I think Saurornitholestes langstoni.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

gfxtwin

Yutyrannus

As far as I know, Albertosaurus is known from the younger Horseshoe Canyon Formation, which means the ceratopsians it coexisted with were Anchiceratops, Arrhinoceratops, Eotriceratops, Pachyrhinosaurus (P. canadensis, and P. lakustai), and the as-of-yet unnamed "Almond Formation" ceratopsid.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 02, 2015, 01:12:06 AM
As far as I know, Albertosaurus is known from the younger Horseshoe Canyon Formation, which means the ceratopsians it coexisted with were Anchiceratops, Arrhinoceratops, Eotriceratops, Pachyrhinosaurus (P. canadensis, and P. lakustai), and the as-of-yet unnamed "Almond Formation" ceratopsid.

Actually, and very weirdly, Albertosaurus doesn't seem to have coexisted with ANY ceratopsids.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseshoe_Canyon_Formation#Biostratigraphy

It appears in the fossil record in the HCF right after Anchiceratops and Pachyrhinosaurus become absent from the region (Anchi presumably becoming extinct, Pachy moving north and evolving into P. perotorum alongside Nanuqsaurus.)

There seems to have been some kind of faunal turnover here. I would speculate that a yet-unknown tyrannosaurine probably lived alongside Anchi and P. canadensis and evolved into Nanuqsaurus as it followed them north. Edmontosaurus also disappears from the HCF at this time. The whole fauna seems to have shifted up to Alaska and been replaced with Albertosauus, Saurolophus, and Hypacrosaurus.

Another faunal shift happened later with the arrival of Eotriceratops (evolved from Ojoceratops in the south, then evolved into Triceratops) probably accompanied by the ancestors of T. rex and Edmontosaurus annectens that drove albertosaurs out.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on August 02, 2015, 11:44:45 AM
Actually, and very weirdly, Albertosaurus doesn't seem to have coexisted with ANY ceratopsids.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseshoe_Canyon_Formation#Biostratigraphy

It appears in the fossil record in the HCF right after Anchiceratops and Pachyrhinosaurus become absent from the region (Anchi presumably becoming extinct, Pachy moving north and evolving into P. perotorum alongside Nanuqsaurus.)

There seems to have been some kind of faunal turnover here. I would speculate that a yet-unknown tyrannosaurine probably lived alongside Anchi and P. canadensis and evolved into Nanuqsaurus as it followed them north. Edmontosaurus also disappears from the HCF at this time. The whole fauna seems to have shifted up to Alaska and been replaced with Albertosauus, Saurolophus, and Hypacrosaurus.

Another faunal shift happened later with the arrival of Eotriceratops (evolved from Ojoceratops in the south, then evolved into Triceratops) probably accompanied by the ancestors of T. rex and Edmontosaurus annectens that drove albertosaurs out.
That is odd. It looks like Eotriceratops arrived just before the extinction of Albertosaurus, but still throughout basically the entire time it existed there, there were no ceratopsians.

Derek.McManus

Interesting...look forward to seeing your diorama, Styracosaurus was a childhood favorite of mine...though my son prefers triceratops!

Arul

Quote from: Derek.McManus on August 02, 2015, 10:12:07 PM
Interesting...look forward to seeing your diorama, Styracosaurus was a childhood favorite of mine...though my son prefers triceratops!

Its done already see in Just For Fun in diorama thread :) but im using papo vraptor (JP theme) to accompany the papo styraco  ::) because i dont have other dinosaur that lived alongside with styraco hehehe yeah maybe troodon from minifigure walking with dinosaur but its too small

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.