You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New Jurassic Coast attractions.

Started by Cosmosaur, August 28, 2016, 09:22:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cosmosaur

I'm on the JC and not sure if anyone else knows of these two yet, but there is a new museum opening - The Etches Collection, and a dinosaur "theme park" called Jurassica. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jurassica
One of the plans for Jurassica is to have an aquarium tank with prehistoric marine creatures that are animatronic.  ;)

Derek.McManus

Sounds really interesting! I'm a great believer in reusing old industrial sites!

Nanuqsaurus

It looks very promising, I hope this project isn't going to fail. Sadly, you often hear about these cool concepts that have to stop because of budget etc.

Dilopho

Oh, this sounds interesting! But how would they do the aquarium part? Won't the water wear away the skin on the robots over time then rust them?

DinoLord

Hopefully the animatronics will be decent. 99% of prehistoric animal animatronics look terrible (or at least not very good), which is surprising given the planning and budget you'd expect to go into them.

Dilopho

Quote from: DinoLord on August 28, 2016, 02:52:10 PM
Hopefully the animatronics will be decent. 99% of prehistoric animal animatronics look terrible (or at least not very good), which is surprising given the planning and budget you'd expect to go into them.
Yeah! More of this:

Less of this:

stargatedalek

Quote from: Dilopho on August 28, 2016, 02:50:10 PM
Oh, this sounds interesting! But how would they do the aquarium part? Won't the water wear away the skin on the robots over time then rust them?
It will probably be an empty aquarium with lighting to resemble water. Unless these animatronics are actually going to swim around like giant Swimways fish. ;D

Dilopho

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 28, 2016, 03:20:27 PM
It will probably be an empty aquarium with lighting to resemble water. Unless these animatronics are actually going to swim around like giant Swimways fish. ;D
Yeah and a team of divers has to chase them around to change the batteries  ;D

Cosmosaur

I know that Jurassica has been under the works for three years, and its well into £80 million being put into it now. I think sadly the man behind it passed away - but from what I've been reading recently it looks like its gonna be pretty good. I'll be straight in the line as soon as it opens.  ;)
I'm not sure how the animatronics would work - at least underwater. Would be amazing if they were actually in the water - I know that there are some pretty decent robotic fish out there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO9oseiCTdk

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 28, 2016, 03:20:27 PM

This is what we did much cheaper and easier than real water.

I suppose given the budget they could use actors...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjGSdvvzrv0