News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Plasticbeast95's Paleoart

Started by Plasticbeast95, October 17, 2015, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plasticbeast95

Newt

Plasticbeast95,

Your Pteranodons are by far the best drawings here! They show a sense of form and movement, and the newer combines accurate anatomy with a clean line. Your other drawings show that you're having fun with color, but all the animals are very static and two-dimensional, and the anatomy seems pretty vague. Are you using any reference while you draw? If not, you should! Many artists seem to feel reference is a crutch, but that's not true; it's a necessity for accurate drawing.

I have a suggestion for you: try drawing from life. It will help you improve by leaps and bounds! Obviously it's hard to find a live ceratopsian or dromaeosaur, so instead try drawing a dinosaur toy. Set the toy up with a light shining strongly on it from one direction to keep the shadows simple. Ignore the surface details and concentrate on proportions and shadows. Good luck!

Plasticbeast95

Quote from: Newt on November 29, 2015, 07:47:02 PM
Plasticbeast95,

Your Pteranodons are by far the best drawings here! They show a sense of form and movement, and the newer combines accurate anatomy with a clean line. Your other drawings show that you're having fun with color, but all the animals are very static and two-dimensional, and the anatomy seems pretty vague. Are you using any reference while you draw? If not, you should! Many artists seem to feel reference is a crutch, but that's not true; it's a necessity for accurate drawing.

I have a suggestion for you: try drawing from life. It will help you improve by leaps and bounds! Obviously it's hard to find a live ceratopsian or dromaeosaur, so instead try drawing a dinosaur toy. Set the toy up with a light shining strongly on it from one direction to keep the shadows simple. Ignore the surface details and concentrate on proportions and shadows. Good luck!

Thanks! To be honest most of these are over four-five years old. I haven't drawn dinosaurs in a long time, lately ive been doing things like this...

Oddball artwork

And I have no pride to save, these dinosaurs are terrible, I know. I have ALWAYS had trouble with proportion and depth. In fact, the best (IMO) ones are the second Pteranodon and Carnotaurus, both of which were actually drawn from the Scheich Carnotaurus and Papo Pteranodon, respectively.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.