News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mammuthus creticus

Started by Himmapaan, May 09, 2012, 08:46:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Himmapaan

'The smallest mammoth known to have ever lived has been identified by Natural History Museum scientists, and is reported in the journal Proceedings of the Royal Society today'.

Press Association article.

Planet Earth article.

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

ZoPteryx

Shame it's extinct, I'd have one as a pet! :))

Himmapaan

A dinky mini mammoth pet.  :)) I read today someone remarking that it was frequently described to have 'roamed' in all the reports about it, but 'toddle' seemed the more appropriate description.  :))

Gwangi

Really fascinating stuff. I always feel a jolt of pain reading about mammoths and the other megafauna, they were here so very recently. I would have loved to have seen them.

Himmapaan

Yes, it feels as though they're just on the cusp of being out of reach. It is a painful thought. And when one sees all those beautifully preserved mummies, too...

Gwangi

Quote from: Himmapaan on May 10, 2012, 12:50:29 AM
Yes, it feels as though they're just on the cusp of being out of reach. It is a painful thought. And when one sees all those beautifully preserved mummies, too...

On occasion when I'm in the outdoors it occurs to me that I live in a damaged ecosystem. Not just damaged by the spread of western civilization but by the people that came here thousands of years before and no doubt had some kind of impact on the megafauna. The westerners put a hurtin' on the landscape here but even before they arrived it was only a shadow of what it used to be. To think, where I lived was once comparable to Africa in mammal diversity. Fortunately I live in a place that is actually recovering from the impact of the early colonies so I can at least take solace in that much but it certainly feels more empty with the knowledge I know regarding its past. Like Aldo Leopold once said...One of the penalties of an ecological education is that one lives alone in a world of wounds.

Himmapaan

Indeed.

Quote from: Gwangi on May 10, 2012, 03:05:10 AMLike Aldo Leopold once said...One of the penalties of an ecological education is that one lives alone in a world of wounds.
Beautiful. The same can easily be said of life on the whole, I suppose... But I digress.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.