News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Museum/Zoo Booklets and Guides

Started by stargatedalek, September 25, 2015, 04:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

I wouldn't exactly say I collect them, I've kept a handful over the years, chief among them this one from the Biodome of Quebec:

Doug Watson

I always try to make a point of keeping one good copy of the guide for any museum\zoo that I visit. I think I have every Toronto Metro Zoo guide going back to our first visit in the seventies. Same goes for any museum I visit.

tyrantqueen

I have some Japanese ones from the various expos and museums over the years. They have excellent photos of skeletal mounts, even though they tend to be outdated.

I'll post some photos when I get the time. Also, I may be selling some of them off for cheap.

Halichoeres

I keep these, but they tend to be quite rumpled from having been in my back pocket.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

tyrantqueen

Post removed.

Doug Watson

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 27, 2015, 05:06:43 PM
Here's one that I own. Dinosaur Fossils from Chongqing Natural History Museum.

I believe the artist is the same guy responsible for sculpting the first set of Favorite ltd. dinosaurs, as well as some of the resin statues.

Unfortunately the pictures got cut off because my scanner sucks :( Maybe I'll post more when I can figure out how to get better scans.

That looks like an exhibit catalogue that you would normally have to buy, I could be wrong but I think Star meant the free guides that are handed out to guide you through the museum, zoo or exhibit. I stand to be corrected. I have both types but if that is a free handout, that's impressive.

postsaurischian

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 27, 2015, 05:06:43 PM

I believe the artist is the same guy responsible for sculpting the first set of Favorite ltd. dinosaurs, as well as some of the resin statues.

I like the illustrations :).
The sculptor of the first Favorite Dinosaurs was Takashi Oda. That  marries up with the Psittacosaurus signature.

tyrantqueen

QuoteThe sculptor of the first Favorite Dinosaurs was Takashi Oda. That  marries up with the Psittacosaurus signature.
Yes, that's the one. His name escaped me :-[

Doug Watson

Okay, maybe I'm a hoarder.
I'll start with just the actual free museum guides. I have limited it to museums that have a Natural History component.

CMN, stands to reason I would have a few of these. Not as many as I could have.

These are a couple exhibit catalogues that I bought for the Charles Knight and Russian Dinos exhibits when they came to CMN.

Something a little different I found when going through my files. My invitation to the opening of the Current Fossil Gallery.

A few guides for the ROM through the years.

Purchased catalogue and free handout for Dinosaurs Of Gondwana exhibit at the ROM. I got the catalogue signed by Paul Sereno.

Royal Tyrrell Museum and Dinosaur Provincial Park purchased Guides

Some USA Museum Guides, missing a few that I have been to like LA County Museum, I must have it somewhere.

Some guides from a time when they gave you something of quality.

Doug Watson

I forgot these from the George C. Page Museum at La Brea. Terra is the magazine of the LA County Natural History Museum which is an associate museum. The Treasures is the purchased guide for the museum. This museum had a great bookstore I got all these there plus I also picked up my copy of the Dinosauria. I left a lot of money there.

tyrantqueen

I thought you just said we were only supposed to post free guides. How come you're now posting them? No offense or anything.

Doug Watson

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 28, 2015, 05:11:08 PM
I thought you just said we were only suppose to post free guides. How come you're posting them? No offense or anything.

None taken (no really) too much coffee earlier I guess. You didn't respond and neither did Star so I figured you were okay with yours so why not. I at least have the free handouts as well.

P.S. If Star doesn't want the purchased guides I'll happily remove mine since it is her topic.

Doug Watson

Zoos & Aquariums, free & purchased guides.

Free Guides from the Toronto Metro Zoo 1977 to 2009. Sign of the times they get cheaper every year.

Some other free handouts from other zoos. Missing Miami and LA Zoo maybe others.

Some purchased guides along with the free handout from the Biodome when it opened.

A couple free aquarium guides along with the purchased souvenier guide

Purchased souvenir guides.

And the last of the purchased souvenir guides. I always like to get these when they are offered unfortunately not all zoos or museums produce them.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.