News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

(Spoilers) Ranking Movies you seen this year

Started by Takama, December 28, 2015, 01:47:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Ok I seen 6 movies in total this year, The First one being Chappie, that last one is Starwars: The Force Awakens.

In this thread you list the Movies you seen, and rank them from best to worst.

Best Film of the Year
Starwars: The Force Awakens
I was not all hyped up to see this movie, as Starwars is not my forte, and i find the franchise to be overated to an extant. But this film changed all of that, now im excited for new films.  I liked how you see Kylo Rens Face without the helmet, and Han Solos Death was a really Gripping moment for me.

Chappie
This is the Very first film i seen all year, and up until just today, it was my favorite movie of the entire year.  You really feel for the title charector and it is packed with action, I never seen a movie so engrossing until i just saw Star Wars 7 today.  Overall, this would of made top film if it were not for Star Wars 7

Jurassic World
You Knew this one would be here,  Overall, despite the Blantant Disregard to acuracey, this film was actaily very fun, thogh after watching it several more times on Blu-Ray, I can see some faults with it, But I dont care because DINOSAURS!!! Thogh i still Hate the Indominus Rex.s exsistance. 

Aveangers: Age Of Ultron
This one was decent to me, its no winner for movie of the year, but i did enjoy it.   I dont have much else to say about this movie, as i dont find it as memorable as any of the above films

Minions
I did not care about this movie, the humor was lame, however it was the only movie that me and my entire family saw together, and they seemed to like it. I do like the main villain to an extant, until she becomes a total *****

Worst Movie of the Year
The Good Dinosaur
I tried to give this film a chance, i really did, but the part were they must put an inaccurate Hand print on the silo ruined the whole film for me. Its like it treated Dinosaurs as a after thought. It dosent help much that i was pretty bord with the whole thing, and did not care too much about the main charechtors. I Did feel sorry however for Arlos Lose of his father, but I just could not bring myself to like Spot. I think he is a stupid idea that could of been replaced with a different creature. And dont even get me started on the Pterosaurs Teeth. They Wanted Toothy Pterosaurs? Why did they not choose Ornithochirids like Culkicephalus or MAybe Ludadactylus? You might be wondering why I like Jurassic World more then this when that obviously does not follow accuracy, but i think this comes off worse as its a cartoon meant for Everyone.  The Dinosaurs dont even look like dinosaurs in this film, and it barley feels like a Dinosaur movie at all. I tried to give this a chance, i really did, but as it is, I think Jurassic World Is Far superior then this. Heck i Thoght the Straght to DVD film Dinosaur Island was better then this (and no its not because that the Dinosaurs have Feathers in that film)

So thats my ranking of the movies i seen in 2016.   I bet i going to get a lot of Angry comments on that last one because Pixar....But its my honest truth.    Im sure if i seen Inside out, it would of been better then The Good Dinosaur, but i havent seen it, so Pixar ranks low on my movie meter for 2016

What Movies have you seen in Cinemas this year? and how would you rank them using the template show above?

Gwangi

Alright, I can get in on this. This list is incomplete because there are still a lot of movies I want to see that came out this year, namely "Creed", "The Hateful Eight" and "The Revenant" which I'm sure will all be near the top of my list if not at the top of the list. No spoilers from me in this post. Also keep in mind that this is a personal list. I realize some of these movies are artistically better than others. "The Martian" for example is far better than "Jurassic World".

Mad Max: Fury Road- Practical effects, creative world building, a bad ass female lead, beautiful cinematography. Loved this movie.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens- Everything I had hoped it would be and more. The story is a little familiar but the characters more than make up for it. I'm finally excited about "Star Wars" again.

It Follows- An independent slow-burn horror movie that borrows heavily from the 1980's era of horror movies that I love. Excellent soundtrack, atmosphere, and cinematography.

Jurassic World- A huge shot of nostalgia right to the arm. A greatly flawed movie that's also a lot of fun. Best "Jurassic" movie since the original.

Krampus- Another horror movie. Great practical effects and creature design, a lot of atmosphere. The best Christmas horror movie since "Gremlins".

The Martian- A unique "man vs. nature" movie that celebrates science and what humanity is capable of accomplishing. Honestly though, it was a bit predictable considering how long it was.

Inside Out- Another excellent movie from Pixar. Original, clever, well written and moving. The kind of movie more "kids movies" should aspire to be.

Slow West- An independent western that you've probably never heard of starring Michael Fassbender. Great acting, interesting story, beautifully filmed.

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2
- Much better than part 1 and a nice conclusion to the series.

Ant-Man
- Although this movie was a lot of fun I'm starting to get burned out by super hero movies. A lot of these movies are way too predictable and afraid to color outside the lines. Can we please get some decent Marvel villains?

Avengers: Age of Ultron- Again, a lot of fun but a bit too predictable and in this case, a bit too bloated.

Terminator Genisys- I didn't hate it, thought it was better than "Terminator 3" or "Salvation". I'll always love watching Arnold Schwarzenegger do anything and it was nice seeing him return to this role. That said, the story in this movie is a mess and the trailer gave away too many key plot points.

Maggie- A zombie movie starring Schwarzenegger and Abigail Breslin as his daughter-turned-zombie. The film follows her transition. It's well acted especially for a Schwarzenegger movie but ultimately a bit slow and forgettable.

San Andreas- While I like Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson even he couldn't save this boring, plodding and predictable movie. Of course some of the effects were cool but the stuff in-between the destruction was a snooze fest. Barely kept my attention.

PaleoMatt

Well.. I seen 2 films this year :P

Jurassic World-obvious.
Big Hero 6-great film but Jurassic World is better.

MLMjp

Not a lot of films this year.

Jurassic world: It was amazing. Seen a film of my favorite franchise in the big screen was the best feeling I ever got in a cinema. I left the cinema trembling because of the emotion. When I first herd about the Indominus and the trained raptors, I thought that this was going to be worse than JP3 and the JP franchise will forever stay ruined.But with each trailer I became more into it and at the end it was awesome.The movie has it´s flaws, and the dinosaurs were not accurate, but since it is the Jurassic park universe I don´t mind it(what I do mind is when people use the JP dines as the real animals. JP is JP. Reality is reality) Some people didn't like it, but the majority of fans liked and I kinda feel sorry for those who don't like it. For me is a solid film. I think that a movie doesn't need to be great in order to be awesome and I think this is the case, is not great, just good, but it´s awesome. I liked the Indominus, the trained raptors, the easter eggs, characters where good for me(except for Hoskings) I really really liked the "Welcome to Jurassic world" scene... AND I LOVED THE FINAL BATTLE AND ENDING, BEST SCENES OF THIS YEAR. Some last words: AL HAIL TO THE QUEEN OF ISLA NUBLAR!!!!ALL HAIL REXY!!!!!

Inside out: Yes, If we talk from an objective point of view, this film was better than Jurassic world.But my tastes are my tastes so this one comes as a second. OK, about the film, I really liked, the story was good, animation was great and the characters were best part, the emotions as the characters were really funny and enjoyable. The way they show us how the emotion work inside our brain was really cool, with all those imaginary world inside of the head. And talking about a film about emotions, this one makes you feel a lot of them, you can feel sad, you can feel happy....and I love the jokes, like the brasilian guy on the mother´s brain or the GIRL ALARM! in the boy´s brain at the end of the movie ;D ;D ;D. Another hit for PIXAR.

The Good Dinosaur: It was ok, I enjoyed, but there where some moments that I just though: What the.....??(When Arlo and Spot ate those poisonous fruits or the scene with the Styracosaurs/Triceratops hybrid) And the dead of Arlo´s father wasn´t really that socking. In fact it was kind of predictable and a bit cliche. But I think it was good, but nothing special.

And that´s all. I wanted to watch Age of Ultron, but at the end I did´t see it. But I watched about a month ago and.... It was fun, It had some really cool parts.But It didn´t have all the "epicness" that the first one had, But still a solid marvel film. If I watched it on cinemas this one will be between Inside out and The Good Dinosaur.

tyrantqueen

I only saw two films this year. Jurassic World and Terminator Genisys. I enjoyed Jurassic World but I don't care about the toys or any other parts of the franchise. Genisys was okay only for Arnold. The two actors playing Sarah and John sucked.

Also, the bad grammar in this thread's title hurts my brain.

Kovu

Haven't really seen that many new movies this year, only four really. "The Hateful Eight" and "Joy" are on my list though, plan on seeing them in theaters.

In the Heart of the Sea

Definitely the best IMO. The acting was phenomenal, particularly from Chris Hemsworth as Owen Chase and Brendan Gleeson and Tom Holland as old and young Thomas Nickerson. Based on the true story of the whaling ship, the Essex, the movie has amazing visuals and breathtaking panoramic views of the ocean. Plus, whales. Whales are awesome. The movie also doesn't glorify whaling, but paints it in a historic light as a necessary evil of the time. It also made the point that monsters are not born, but made, as well as subjective. To the men of the Essex, the whale was the monster, but to the whale, the whalers were. Seriously, I can not recommend this movie enough! Easily the best movie I saw this year. Box office wise it's gotten a raw deal. It was released a week before Star Wars and lets be honest, nothing can go up agains that.

Jurassic World

Obviously, awesome in that awesomebro way. Honestly, I feel the awesomebro vibe has its time and place and in itself isn't a bad thing. The dinosaurs weren't particularly accurate, but I appreciated Wu's little explanation of that. Also, I might be in the minority here, but I liked the Indominus for what she represented. A lot of times, I feel like science only asks if it can, not if it should, and the Indominus served as a perfect metaphor for that IMO. Just because they had the ability to make a giant super-predator doesn't mean that it was a good idea. I think she fit the message of the film, that bigger, badder, more teeth, is not always better and she fit that message in a way a non-hybrid couldn't have. Overall, it was a fun time and it was nice to see a fully realized dinosaur theme park. Seriously, that place looked awesome! Can it be real? Please? Minus the Indominus? Because in real life, a giant unbeatable super predator is not a good addition to a major tourist destination.

The Good Dinosaur

Super cute! Not Pixar's best by any means, but it had a nice story and inspired visuals. Plus, the interaction between Arlo and his dad and Arlo and  Spot gave me all the feels.

Fifty Shades of Grey

Don't judge. My friend and I were curious about the hype so we Redboxed it. The only redeeming piece was the Ellie Goulding song "Love Me Like You Do". Otherwise, horrible and, IMO, it romanticized an abusive relationship.

stargatedalek

Jurassic World - Already given my thoughts on it in plenty, the best and dearly needed Jurassic Park sequel if you ask me. Some real great nostalgia, but I will admit the film did rely on that too much at times.

Shaun the Sheep the Movie - Another huge blast of childhood nostalgia, absolutely loved the series and the main Wallace and Gromit series and this film is another great installment in that universe.

Ant Man - With Marvel movies becoming more and more easy to predict (not a movie but I must recommend Jessica Jones if you feel the same way, as it's a very different direction for Marvel as of late!) it was nice to have one focus more on the gags and subplots all the while well aware we would know how it would end so it could put it's focus into fanservice.

Force Awakens
- I've always been a Star Wars fan, not compared to Jurassic Park, but a fan. I must admit I found the plot to be repetitive, call it what you will it was a third Death Star and deep down we all know it.

Minions
- In-universe I don't hate Minions, they are frankly kinda dumb, basically all the same character, and not especially unique or intriguing but I have nothing against them. In order to really judge the film itself I'm ignoring the feelings the over-branding gives me and just looking at the movie. The writing is to die for, characters are well written and acted, and it has just enough subtle call backs to the previous movies in the series to not feel like a disservice to the franchise.

Terminator Genisys - Kind of cheating since I didn't see it in theaters, but I liked it. Nice to see Terminator 3 get retconned, very nice.

Mockingjay Part II
- Honestly I had my hopes too high for this one. It was an alright movie but I just can't bring myself to love it since I found it to be a bit of a let down.

Inside Out
- I kind of feel bad putting this one so low on the list since so many people loved it. I found it entertaining enough but my reactions weren't nearly as profound as basically anyone else I've heard the reactions of.

Avengers: Age of Ultron
- Yyyaaaahhhhh.....

Pretty hyped for next year too, especially Kizumonogatari Part I: Tekketsu-hen

All in all my opinions with the probable exceptions of Jurassic World and Avengers: Age of Ultron can likely be summed up with:

I used an advice animal, I feel so old...

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.