News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Synonymous Synonyms and Dubious Dubiums

Started by PaleoMatt, December 10, 2015, 07:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinoguy2

Quote from: MLMjp on January 03, 2016, 07:59:42 PM
Quote from: Dinoguy2 on January 03, 2016, 04:21:15 PM
Quote from: MLMjp on January 03, 2016, 03:21:53 PM
Quote from: Dinoguy2 on January 03, 2016, 03:13:32 PM

What about other famous synonyms, like Anatotitan copei and Edmontosaurus annectens? These seem to get less attention, I guess because they're boring ornithopods and nobody is nostalgic about Anatotitan being simply a growth stage? ;)

Yes please!! Altought I get the general idea, I will like to know more about my favorite ornithopod. :)

This one is also less well-known because they were already considered synonyms up until the early '90s when they got split. Researchers back then thought that the famous big, spoonbills specimens were different enough from the smaller type specimen of "Anatosaurus" to get their own genus, hence Anatotitan was born. More recently the case has been made that the flat-bill and large size are simply ontogenetic.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0025186

Contrary to popular belief, they were never thought to be the same as Trachodon. In the famous American Museum mount they were labelled  "Trachodont dinosaur", the equivalent of labelling them "hadrosaurs" today. Kinda like the new AMNH mount is simply labelled "Titanosaur" pending further study.

So for now Anatotitan is basically a full grown adult Edmontosaurus annectens. That is more or less what I understood the first time I heard about this case. But thanks for the extra info. And the main difference between E.regalis and E. annectens (Apart from other things. This one is the most visible) is the skull, at least in adults, E.annectens had longer and flatter skulls (Anatotitan skull). Still, E.annectens remains as my favorite ornithopod.

E. regalis also has that new soft tissue crest. Despite many annectens mummies, none has been found in that species.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

MLMjp

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on January 04, 2016, 07:02:58 PM

What about other famous synonyms, like Anatotitan copei and Edmontosaurus annectens? These seem to get less attention, I guess because they're boring ornithopods and nobody is nostalgic about Anatotitan being simply a growth stage? ;)

Yes please!! Altought I get the general idea, I will like to know more about my favorite ornithopod. :)

This one is also less well-known because they were already considered synonyms up until the early '90s when they got split. Researchers back then thought that the famous big, spoonbills specimens were different enough from the smaller type specimen of "Anatosaurus" to get their own genus, hence Anatotitan was born. More recently the case has been made that the flat-bill and large size are simply ontogenetic.

Contrary to popular belief, they were never thought to be the same as Trachodon. In the famous American Museum mount they were labelled  "Trachodont dinosaur", the equivalent of labelling them "hadrosaurs" today. Kinda like the new AMNH mount is simply labelled "Titanosaur" pending further study.

So for now Anatotitan is basically a full grown adult Edmontosaurus annectens. That is more or less what I understood the first time I heard about this case. But thanks for the extra info. And the main difference between E.regalis and E. annectens (Apart from other things. This one is the most visible) is the skull, at least in adults, E.annectens had longer and flatter skulls (Anatotitan skull). Still, E.annectens remains as my favorite ornithopod.

E. regalis also has that new soft tissue crest. Despite many annectens mummies, none has been found in that species.

Oh yes! How I could forgot about that?

A bit of topic maybe...dunno.But about that crest.

It is possible that E.annectens had one although there´s no evidence? Because I have seen some restoration of E.annectens with the E.regalis crest. I want to do a drawing of E.annectens, and I don´t know If I should give it one or leave it without it. :-\

Dinoguy2

Quote from: MLMjp on January 04, 2016, 08:47:09 PM
Quote from: Dinoguy2 on January 04, 2016, 07:02:58 PM

Oh yes! How I could forgot about that?

A bit of topic maybe...dunno.But about that crest.

It is possible that E.annectens had one although there´s no evidence? Because I have seen some restoration of E.annectens with the E.regalis crest. I want to do a drawing of E.annectens, and I don´t know If I should give it one or leave it without it. :-\

Anything possible, but consider this. First, crests are typically the most variable thing between species, so even if annectens had one it probably looked different. Second, we have many annectens mummies and no crest so far. We have one, partial regalis mummy, and it has the crest.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.