News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Bully Mastodonsaurus

Started by smashtoad, September 19, 2016, 03:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Megalosaurus

Nice paint scheme.

Quote from: Lanthanotus on October 04, 2016, 12:06:12 PM
Personally I highly doubt what was metioned in a lot of posts before, that the front teeth stuck through the upper jaw completly. While the skull indeed boast opening sockets for the uncommonly large front teeth, there's hardly to find an evolotionary intended example in recent animals where teeth struck through a bone in such a way, basically creating two more independent openings to the inner mouth. It is way more likely that these sockets were covered by cartilage tissue or keratin fiber or such, greating some bulking muzzle.

You may be right. I haven't questioned the reconstructions of this animal:

Sorry for the wrong data in this image, I just looked for a museum reconstruction.

But you know, you give some light on it. Thank you.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

BlueKrono

The first one (the red and black) reminds me of a modern-day Tylototriton. I LOVE the chicken frog one too. I've always believed the best paint jobs for prehistoric or fantasy animals are ones that are taken from real-life critters.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Lanthanotus

Quote from: Megalosaurus on October 04, 2016, 05:45:04 PM
Nice paint scheme.

Quote from: Lanthanotus on October 04, 2016, 12:06:12 PM
Personally I highly doubt what was metioned in a lot of posts before, that the front teeth stuck through the upper jaw completly. While the skull indeed boast opening sockets for the uncommonly large front teeth, there's hardly to find an evolotionary intended example in recent animals where teeth struck through a bone in such a way, basically creating two more independent openings to the inner mouth. It is way more likely that these sockets were covered by cartilage tissue or keratin fiber or such, greating some bulking muzzle.

You may be right. I haven't questioned the reconstructions of this animal:
[...]
Sorry for the wrong data in this image, I just looked for a museum reconstruction.

But you know, you give some light on it. Thank you.

I am not sure about the Mastodonsaurus, but the picture you linked looks, as if Bullyland sculpted their Mastodonsaurus with that particular model as pattern (as they did for their museum specific sculpts as Arizonasaurus and the likes).

This old reconstruction by Z. Burian may not be very accurate (when it comes to the visible teeth and perching in an terrestrial environment with that bulk of a body), but I guess the upper muzzle comes more close to the real animal, then the Bullyland version. However, that figure is missing in my collection and I'd really appreciate to add one some time :)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.