News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Just Saw Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Started by suspsy, December 19, 2015, 05:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Haven't felt a rush in the movie theatre like that in ages! I was withholding judgment, but now I can honestly and happily say that it really does capture the essence of the original films. And it has better acting!

Go see it!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Gwangi

I saw it last night and feel exactly the same way. Now, suddenly, I'm not excited for anymore movies. I just want to watch episode 8! Put me into cryo-sleep or something. I don't care if I miss a year of my daughter's life. Just kidding on that last part of course but this movie was really everything I hoped it would be and more. It feels so great to be excited about Star Wars again.

amargasaurus cazaui

Old enough I remember seeing the original movie in theater when it was released and was really caught up in that summer. I never saw the sequels...any of them, till they were released to video . Still somehow I always loved the story arcs and characters, worlds and ideas. Even when I learned how the orignal had mostly been a heavy handed swipe from another source, i have always enjoyed the franchise and the special effects.
  I admit I am somewhat unsure or confused and hoped someone might explain the .....organzation of the movies for me. I had understood the first three released were a trilogy from the middle, with the next three being the pre-quel to the first three. Does this then mean the set coming now are all AFTER the original three...in other words post death star, death of Vader etc? I would assume that is the case with an older Harrison Ford etc......
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Viking Spawn

I too seen this last night!  Great film!  Go treat yourself if you haven't done so!  And if you do, you'll be apart of the biggest movie opening of all time!  ;)

I've been a fan of this series since I was a kid!  I was only 7 when I seen the original in the movie theater!  I also had plenty of the original Kenner action figures back then too!  Oh how I wish I still had them all!  My favorites were the first 4 cantina creatures/aliens!  Hammerhead, Greedo, Walrus Man, and Snaggletooth (red & blue variant)!   

Okay, okay...  I'm done now.  Go see this movie!!!! 

suspsy

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 20, 2015, 03:37:39 AM
Old enough I remember seeing the original movie in theater when it was released and was really caught up in that summer. I never saw the sequels...any of them, till they were released to video . Still somehow I always loved the story arcs and characters, worlds and ideas. Even when I learned how the orignal had mostly been a heavy handed swipe from another source, i have always enjoyed the franchise and the special effects.
  I admit I am somewhat unsure or confused and hoped someone might explain the .....organzation of the movies for me. I had understood the first three released were a trilogy from the middle, with the next three being the pre-quel to the first three. Does this then mean the set coming now are all AFTER the original three...in other words post death star, death of Vader etc? I would assume that is the case with an older Harrison Ford etc......

You are correct. The Force Awakens is set about thirty years after the events of Return of the Jedi.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: suspsy on December 20, 2015, 04:40:56 AM

You are correct. The Force Awakens is set about thirty years after the events of Return of the Jedi.
Thanks for the clarification...I admit I do not keep up that much with the star wars thing myself, but I will go see the picture in time. So will all five of the planned movies be somewhat of a straight arc from this one forward or has that been discerned?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Gwangi

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 20, 2015, 07:43:26 AM
Quote from: suspsy on December 20, 2015, 04:40:56 AM

Thanks for the clarification...I admit I do not keep up that much with the star wars thing myself, but I will go see the picture in time. So will all five of the planned movies be somewhat of a straight arc from this one forward or has that been discerned?

"The Force Awakens" along with episodes 8 and 9 will all constitute a trilogy that takes place after "Return of the Jedi" but there will also be stand alone movies in-between those releases that take place at various time periods. Next December we're getting "Star Wars: Rouge One" which is about a fighter squadron and takes place (I believe) just before the original "Star Wars" movie.

suspsy

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_One:_A_Star_Wars_Story

This sounds like a cool plot. They'll have market it carefully to avoid confusion among casual moviegoers.

stargatedalek

I'm worried Rogue One could end up feeling repetitive, I've already heard some people complaining:
*SPOILERS*
*SPOILERS*
*SPOILERS*
*SPOILERS*
*SPOILERS*
*SPOILERS*
*SPOILERS*
that this one was
kind of repetitive
in terms of being
too similar to yet
another Death Star
*SPOILERS*
*SPOILERS*
*SPOILERS*
*SPOILERS*
*SPOILERS*

I hope that worked and doesn't constitute spam. Perhaps we really need a second spoiler thread.

John

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 20, 2015, 02:49:10 PM
...Perhaps we really need a second spoiler thread.
I remember an episode of The Simpsons in which during an episode that flashed back to 1980,Homer and Marge were seen leaving the theater after having just seen The Empire Strikes Back,Homer loudly blurts out something like "I cant believe that Darth Vader was Luke Skywalker's ACTUAL FATHER all along!!!!" in front of everyone in the long line waiting for the next showing of the movie...They yelled out at Homer "THANKS FOR RUINING IT,JERK!!!"

So yes,I would say that a separate spoiler thread is needed. ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

amargasaurus cazaui

Thanks all for the answers, I admit I do not follow the entire star wars thing closely and have gotten confused so thanks for help sorting it for me.

PaleoMatt

May the 4th be with you :D Haven't seen the film yet :P

Newt

I saw it. It was...pretty good. It didn't hook me the way the original trilogy did. I also kept trying to imagine what, if any, impact the film would ahve on someone who hadn't watched any of the previous SW films, and it seems like it wouldn't be very enjoyable if you didn't already have some knowledge and feelings about the characters and settings.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.