News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mantis website by Viking Spawn

Started by Viking Spawn, March 08, 2016, 12:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking Spawn

Enjoy!  Provided you like insects that "pray."  ("Prey?")

The MANTIS

LINK:

http://lesdaniels0.wix.com/themantis

Halichoeres

Mantises are SO. COOL. They don't do so well up here, but hey, give global warming a few more years...
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Viking Spawn

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 08, 2016, 02:53:42 AM
Mantises are SO. COOL. They don't do so well up here, but hey, give global warming a few more years...

I think the European species would have a better success in your area.  Given they hatch later and mature faster.

I also love these things too!  I can experience them every year just 50 feet from my back door!

I find it troubling that some people view them as an invasive species and try to eradicate them by destroying their egg nests in the winter.   If they would just do a little more research, they would see that their presence on local wildlife populations is not devastating at all.  (I've only noticed an decline in the number of larger spiders where some mantid colonies are abundant). I've had a few arguments with so called "educated" people over this topic.  But oh well.  Luckily, there are plenty more people that love them than those that do not.

deanm

European Mantis does well in southern Ontario. I have seen and marvelled over them for the last 10 years that I have lived here.

There is also an native species of ground mantid also in Canada (and I expect the us also) in Southern Alberta and southern BC.  That one I have not seen. I would like to as it looks cool.

deanm

I went back to one of my undergrad texts.  Number 15 in the insects and arachnids of Canada series.  The Grasshoppers, Crickets, and related insects (Cockroaches, termites, stick insects, mantids, earwigs, and rock-crawlers).

In Canada there are the following mantids

Litaneuttria minor (Scudder) - a ground mantid in southern British Columbia and Alberta
Mantis religiosa religiosa Linnaeus - European Mantid - southern Ontario and southern Quebec
Tenodera aridifolia sinensis Saussure - Chinese Mantid - southern Ontario and southern Quebec

I would expect that in Chicago area you would be able to find the European and Chinese mantid also.

and to answer the other question it was an entomology course - quite cool so I keep the book

Halichoeres

Good to know! Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough. I minored in entomology in college, and you better believe I kept every single relevant book.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Viking Spawn

I can easily see those 2 species thriving well in the southern parts of Ontario Canada.  That's not too far from me and I also know they persist in Pennsylvania, southern Michigan, and New York. 

I also assume both exist in Illinois since its climate is much like Ohio's as well.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Viking Spawn on March 09, 2016, 04:46:36 PM
I can easily see those 2 species thriving well in the southern parts of Ontario Canada.  That's not too far from me and I also know they persist in Pennsylvania, southern Michigan, and New York. 

I also assume both exist in Illinois since its climate is much like Ohio's as well.

I'm sure you're right. It's a bit drier here, but that probably doesn't make much of a difference, especially in cultivated areas.

Viking Spawn

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 09, 2016, 06:39:47 PM

I'm sure you're right. It's a bit drier here, but that probably doesn't make much of a difference, especially in cultivated areas.

This is actually the best time of year to verify their colonization.  Their egg cases are easily spotted and usually a couple of feet above the ground on a branch.  The best places to check are old fields or meadows where the wildflowers have reclaimed it.   You may be surprised on how many you may find.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Viking Spawn on March 10, 2016, 03:28:56 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on March 09, 2016, 06:39:47 PM

This is actually the best time of year to verify their colonization.  Their egg cases are easily spotted and usually a couple of feet above the ground on a branch.  The best places to check are old fields or meadows where the wildflowers have reclaimed it.   You may be surprised on how many you may find.

Awesome, thanks!