News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosaur sticker album at Dutch supermarket

Started by Nanuqsaurus, June 19, 2016, 08:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nanuqsaurus

Hi all,

Here in The Netherlands, a major supermarket chain by the name of Albert Heijn has launched a new action. With every 10 euros or something like that, you get dinosaur stickers/trading cards. A sticker collection book and Virtual Reality app are also available, but I don't really understand how the latter one works. Of course it's mainly aimed at kids, and involves biologist/nature show presenter Freek Vonk who is very popular among kids here (and I understand why, he's a pretty cool guy).

Seeing that this is just a supermarket action for kids, you'd expect that the dinosaurs aren't going to be very accurate. The cover of the sticker book features a very JP-like Tyrannosaurus, so I didn't have high expectations. However, the actual stickers are suprisingly accurate... :))
All dromaeosaurs and Troodon are fully feathered, with correct wings on the forearms. Despite the rexie on the cover, the book mentions multiple times that Tyrannosaurus very likely had feathers. Most ceratopsids have quills on their back and tail. And, unlike most children-aimed dinosaur products, it explicitly says that pterosaurs and marine reptiles are not dinosaurs at all. On one of the pages, our biology hero Freek Vonk tells that if you want to know what dinosaur behavior was like, you just have to look at modern animals. So it really teaches kids that dinosaurs were actual animals, not monsters.

The sticker collection is apparently sponsored by Naturalis, the biggest museum of natural history in The Netherlands, which has an upcoming Tyrannosaurus exhibition. I'm glad to see that accurate dinosaurs are actually becoming a thing in the media. I hope many kids learn something new from the sticker book! Even I learned a few new things. :P 

More info (in Dutch):
http://www.ah.nl/dino#spaar

LophoLeeVT

check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Erwinonychus

Normally I pass on such promotional events, but this one is actually very informative.

Although it's all digital, it is great fun to see 3D dinosaurs (designed very well) appearing in front of you.

For those of you living outside the Netherlands, here's a little impression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoQHKOmbHxg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD6gig2updw

Paleona

That is a really lovely looking Para! <3 I'd love to see it in toy form. :))

Sounds like a fun promotion, and something that would have definitely got me begging to go to the grocery store when I was a kid, lol. I have a friend who lives in Denmark, maybe she would be interested in this, too. Thanks for sharing.  :)

Nanuqsaurus

I took some pictures of the highlights. I've got to say that there are also a few dinosaur reconstructions in the book that are not that accurate anymore, but most of them are pretty good.
Pictures were made with my phone so the quality might not be the best.

Velociraptor, Utahraptor and Deinonychus. All with beautiful feathers and wings!

Troodon with full coat of feathers, and even long feathers on the hindlegs:

Feathered Tarbosaurus:

Feathered Oviraptor:

Cute Aquilops with quills:

The text on this sticker says: ''Did all dinosaurs have feathers? At least the feathers were preserved on this dino-bird!''

And this is a skeleton of a Tyrannosaurs, you have to place the stickers of all bones and even the tiny vertebra on it yourself! Rather frustrating at times but it's a fun concept. As you can see, I need a few more. :P

Hope this gives you a bit of an impression of the book. If you want to see more, I can always make more pics!

Roselaar

These cards/stickers are kinda fun. Luckily I don't have to collect them myself, I let others do it for me. Got 55 packs of cards (a total of 220 cards) already, but no album yet (I hope one of my friends picks up one of those for me as well). I won't open the packs until I have an album to put the cards in, but I'm confident I'll end up with 80-90% of all the 160 cards before I get one. :)

Ceresiosaurus

This products should be sold all over the EU hehe

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.