News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Glue question

Started by Gryphoceratops, June 22, 2012, 01:16:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryphoceratops

I wanted to know what is the best glue for the 3D models?  I always have trouble with most superglues when it comes to having to hold the pieces together for long periods of time.  I feel my hands will slip up sooner or later and ruin the whole thing.  What does everyone on here prefer?

tyrantqueen

I use....gorilla glue. Go on shoot me, but it works well enough for me.

If there is anything better I should be using then I'm all ears :P

Pilkington

Just a note that pet owners have to be very careful when using certain types of glues, especially polyurethane glues (i.e., Gorilla Glue):

Certain types of glues pose a large poisoning risk to dogs and cats when ingested. These include certain types of wood glues, construction glues, and high-strength glues which are known as diisocyanate glues (commonly known as the popular Gorilla Glue®). Diisocyanate glue ingestions can result in irritation to the gastrointestinal tract. When this type of glue mixes with stomach fluid/acid, the glue rapidly expands into a very large, foam, firm foreign body obstruction in the stomach due to glue expansion. When ingested, clinical signs of drooling, vomiting, loss of appetite, distended stomach, retching, etc., may be seen. Often, diisocyanate glue ingestions require surgery to remove the foreign body. (From petpoisonhelpline.com)

I personally know a lady who's dog ingested about an ounce of Gorilla Glue and ended up having emergency surgery to remove a mass the size of a small basket ball.  This is why no matter what I will never purchase Gorilla Glue or let it in my home.
If you wanna be alone, come with me

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on June 22, 2012, 01:16:07 AM
I wanted to know what is the best glue for the 3D models?  I always have trouble with most superglues when it comes to having to hold the pieces together for long periods of time.  I feel my hands will slip up sooner or later and ruin the whole thing.  What does everyone on here prefer?

I use something called Hot Stuff, sold on Ebay. It is so powerful you can repair a model then toss it on the floor and it will break anywhere but the repair. Originally intended as a surface sealer for gemstones. Fast, hard, and dries quickly , invisibly.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

QuoteI use something called Hot Stuff, sold on Ebay. It is so powerful you can repair a model then toss it on the floor and it will break anywhere but the repair. Originally intended as a surface sealer for gemstones. Fast, hard, and dries quickly , invisibly.
I'm gonna check this one out :P

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 22, 2012, 04:36:47 AM
QuoteI use something called Hot Stuff, sold on Ebay. It is so powerful you can repair a model then toss it on the floor and it will break anywhere but the repair. Originally intended as a surface sealer for gemstones. Fast, hard, and dries quickly , invisibly.
I'm gonna check this one out :P
Just dont glue yourself or paper to your arm or something...ouch. Reasonable caution and use a spreader that is cheap and disposable, like a q tip or similar. Once the stuff sets, its hard as rock. People in the gemstone profession use it patch small chips, holes and vugs in flat surfaces before polishing. There are a few kinds, Hot stuff is more of a glue and Special T is a gap filler and is super thick and designed to fill voids. Both are done by a company called Satellite City. I use them because they address my needs working with fossils and stones as well as with models.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

paleoferroequine

Other brands besides Hot Stuff are Jet, Mercury Adhesives, and Zap-A-Gap plus many house brands. Most come in thin, medium and thick varieties. You can also purchase accelerator  which when used with gap filling (thick) will cause it to set up instantly.  These glues are known as Cyanoacrylates or CA glue.  You might want to buy debonder. :o For your fingers. I once had the World's Dumbest Dad tell me that he gave a tube of CA and a car model to his 7 year old and then left  him alone. :P ::) :-\ :o A trip to the hospital was required to de-bond the kid's various parts. Such as his fingers from his face. And seperate his eyelid. Kids, don't try this at home! One more warning. CA glue reacts with cotton and wool and releases a lot of heat. Don't drop it on your jeans! It will glue your jeans to your leg and possibly burn you.
When you say 3D model, do you mean 3D puzzles figures, wood dino puzzles or actually resin or vinyl models? Makes a difference.

Gryphoceratops

Thanks for all the feedback guys. 

The model is a small shapeways white strong and flexible model.  I accidentally dropped it while arranging the shelf and several smaller bits of it broke off on the wood floor.   :'(

Himmapaan

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on June 22, 2012, 10:23:18 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys. 

The model is a small shapeways white strong and flexible model.  I accidentally dropped it while arranging the shelf and several smaller bits of it broke off on the wood floor.   :'(
Oh, no, which is it?  :(

Gryphoceratops

Haven't posted a pic of it on here yet.  I wanted it to be a surprise lol...and now its gonna be postponed until its fixed up sighhh

Seijun

This thread made me afraid of glue.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

paleoferroequine

Quote from: Seijun on July 03, 2012, 11:54:39 PM
This thread made me afraid of glue.
Oh, sorry if I did that.  :-[ Didn't mean to, but just use common sense when using glues. They are safe if you are careful. I just wanted people who weren't familiar with them just to know of possible problems if they weren't careful. So don't be afraid to use them. I promise. ;D

Gryphoceratops

So is there a best choice for the model I have?

paleoferroequine

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on July 05, 2012, 03:23:29 AM
So is there a best choice for the model I have?
Well, I would use medium CA with accelerator to reduce time required to hold it.

Gryphoceratops

Thanks everyone for the help.  :)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.