News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Jungle Book Succeeds Where Jurassic World Failed

Started by suspsy, April 27, 2016, 05:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arioch

Quote from: Kovu on April 30, 2016, 11:59:06 PM
I think that was the point though. The Indominus never should've existed in the first place because it was a mutation. It was an unnatural creation.
The movie made it quite clear that, by tampering with nature, by trying to design something with more teeth, more snarl, more aggression,  it ended up backfiring on the designers and the park.

Personally, that's why I've never had a problem the Indominus because its unnatural/freak-of-natureness was key to the narrative. I always viewed it as symbolic of society, particularly science, often times doing something solely because they can, without stopping to think if they should. The Indominus shouldn't have been created, but they could so they did.

I get all that, but that final fight scene when the I. Rex basically seems to forget about its own abilities (because...plot?) renders it as an almost pathetic villain. The movie builds hype around it just to see it defeated in a big dumb brawl that comes across as mere fan service. How unlike real iconic movie monsters like the xenomorph from Alien, Jaws or the Raptors from the first JP movie. You could feel their dread menace until the very end.

Kovu

Quote from: Arioch on May 01, 2016, 03:00:50 AM
I get all that, but that final fight scene when the I. Rex basically seems to forget about its own abilities (because...plot?) renders it as an almost pathetic villain. The movie builds hype around it just to see it defeated in a big dumb brawl that comes across as mere fan service. How unlike real iconic movie monsters like the xenomorph from Alien, Jaws or the Raptors from the first JP movie. You could feel their dread menace until the very end.

So true! A friend and I went to see the midnight premiere and when the mosasaur launched itself out of the water, we couldn't stop laughing at how over the top it was.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Your forgetting parts of the creature's concept. The film explains the  Indominus's behavior.  She not very old or experienced.  She's basically playing the entire film, a kid with a weapon she isn't 100% sure how to use and control.   I think had the I-Rex been older and wiser, living say on Isla Sorna for several years the final battle would have been different. She's actually sort of innocent..in  an abused child pulls the wings off of flies kind of way.  A freak and an outcast she doesn't belong anywhere..her fate is to be pushed out of the natural world.

BTW we did go see the JB Friday..pretty awesome, 9/10.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 01, 2016, 07:26:09 AM
Your forgetting parts of the creature's concept. The film explains the  Indominus's behavior.  She not very old or experienced.  She's basically playing the entire film, a kid with a weapon she isn't 100% sure how to use and control.   I think had the I-Rex been older and wiser, living say on Isla Sorna for several years the final battle would have been different. She's actually sort of innocent..in  an abused child pulls the wings off of flies kind of way.  A freak and an outcast she doesn't belong anywhere..her fate is to be pushed out of the natural world.

That's sad. I can sympathise with that.

QuotePlease disregard the Sexist arguments in this article,

I didn't see anything sexist...

Arioch

She' s not very experienced, and yet it can elaborate a complex plan to escape and knows how to communicate with the Raptors. So it sort of comes and goes conveniently, like any hint of logic in the script and characters decisions. ;D If the movie really tried to portray her as a sympathetic creature that we should feel sorry for (like the hybrid from Alien Resurrection), imo it really did a lousy job. First thing we know is that is was born twitching and ate its own brother, because evil. You ultimately only feel sorry because of the extent at which it's being physically punished in the final showdown, not because it is even once portrayed as a vulnerable, confused animal. I guess you can get more of it if you stretch it real thin, though, but most of the time it comes across as a mindless violent monster whose apparent lack of experience can be used to explain many of the plot's inconsistencies.

MLMjp

Quote from: Arioch on May 01, 2016, 03:00:50 AM
Quote from: Kovu on April 30, 2016, 11:59:06 PM
I think that was the point though. The Indominus never should've existed in the first place because it was a mutation. It was an unnatural creation.
The movie made it quite clear that, by tampering with nature, by trying to design something with more teeth, more snarl, more aggression,  it ended up backfiring on the designers and the park.

Personally, that's why I've never had a problem the Indominus because its unnatural/freak-of-natureness was key to the narrative. I always viewed it as symbolic of society, particularly science, often times doing something solely because they can, without stopping to think if they should. The Indominus shouldn't have been created, but they could so they did.

I dont se how it "forgets" its abilities. Explain me how camouflage, body temperature control and snake-like termovision would had help in the fight with Rexy. :-\
Besides it clearly uses its huge arms, claws and jaws againts Rexy at the beginning of the fight. It would have killed Rexy if Blue didn't have showed up.

Also...."Dumb brawl" >:(. Are you seriously calling that fight "dumb"? :( That was the best scene in the movie and one of the most epic scenes in the Jurassic Park saga. Yes it is fanservice, but the best use of fanservice I have ever seen.

DinoToyForum

The end battle wasn't epic enough! It should've had the pterosaurs swooping in to join in the battle on the Indominus' side...and ankylosaurs should've charged through the battle too, helping push the Indominus to the water - revenge!... and a brachiosaurus should've reared up and stamped down on the Indominus' tail...and Owen should've leaped onto Blue and rode him, and Blue could've thrown a grenade...and it would've been so epic...and, oh, wait...I'm describing Jurassic World 2, aren't I. :P :))

suspsy

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 01, 2016, 01:02:43 PM
The end battle wasn't epic enough! It should've had the pterosaurs swooping in to join in the battle on the Indominus' side...and ankylosaurs should've charged through the battle too, helping push the Indominus to the water - revenge!... and a brachiosaurus should've reared up and stamped down on the Indominus' tail...and Owen should've leaped onto Blue and rode him, and Blue could've thrown a grenade...and it would've been so epic...and, oh, wait...I'm describing Jurassic World 2, aren't I. :P :))

And a Triceratops and a Stegosaurus should have stabbed it in both legs, and the Parasaurolophuses should have trumpeted loudly in its ears, and the Pachycephalosaurus should have headbutted rocks at it.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

MLMjp

Quote from: suspsy on May 01, 2016, 01:11:00 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 01, 2016, 01:02:43 PM

And a Triceratops and a Stegosaurus should have stabbed it in both legs, and the Parasaurolophuses should have trumpeted loudly in its ears, and the Pachycephalosaurus should have headbutted rocks at it.

LOL! You guys ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Doug Watson

Blade, that is the best description of the Indominus and its behaviour I have read to date and it is exactly how I felt watching it the first time, I just couldn't put it as eloquently as you did. That is why I described it as the Frankenstein story in another thread. I think that is one of the reasons I liked it since I am a big fan of the Karloff sympathetic interpretation of the creature. I just didn't need a tear running down the cheek of the Indominus rex to point it out to me.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Arioch on May 01, 2016, 11:45:23 AM

She' s not very experienced, and yet it can elaborate a complex plan to escape and knows how to communicate with the Raptors. So it sort of comes and goes conveniently, like any hint of logic in the script and characters decisions. ;D If the movie really tried to portray her as a sympathetic creature that we should feel sorry for (like the hybrid from Alien Resurrection), imo it really did a lousy job. First thing we know is that is was born twitching and ate its own brother, because evil. You ultimately only feel sorry because of the extent at which it's being physically punished in the final showdown, not because it is even once portrayed as a vulnerable, confused animal. I guess you can get more of it if you stretch it real thin, though, but most of the time it comes across as a mindless violent monster whose apparent lack of experience can be used to explain many of the plot's inconsistencies.

Just like good ideas come and go bud.  The Raptor communication worked at first because the raptors followed the strongest " raptor".  Blue turned against her because she her bond with Owen was stronger, he was part of the pack. Blue convinced the other raptors to help her.  You can view it as a film or as a real life scenario, the more you buy into the story the more it makes sense otherwise it just seems like film failings.  Issues crop up in real life and luck plays a part.  Owen sums up her thoughts quite well. She is a psycho, but was made that way by people because it's what they wanted to see.

Quote from: Doug Watson on May 01, 2016, 02:19:40 PM

Blade, that is the best description of the Indominus and its behaviour I have read to date and it is exactly how I felt watching it the first time, I just couldn't put it as eloquently as you did. That is why I described it as the Frankenstein story in another thread. I think that is one of the reasons I liked it since I am a big fan of the Karloff sympathetic interpretation of the creature. I just didn't need a tear running down the cheek of the Indominus rex to point it out to me.

Thanks bud, it was subtle but there.  Trevarrow himself mentioned this was his concept going in.  It's a shame that too many just saw it as a monster.  I get a 1985 Godzilla vibe where they lead him to the volcano, both were man made monsters just trying to live..but they so tragic because they are not meant to exist in this world. They are not natural.

Gwangi

Everyone hates that the Indominus can "speak raptor" but I just want to point out that since the Indominus is part raptor it's ability to communicate with them is no doubt instinctive. You can raise any animal in isolation and it will still be able to communicate. Cows moo, whether alone or in a herd. Dogs bark. Chickens cluck. You get the point.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.