News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd. 2016 Toob Recolors

Started by Carcharodontosaurus, May 22, 2016, 04:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carcharodontosaurus

I was shopping in my local Michael's today, and saw a "new" dinosaur toob on the shelf; it was the Carnivorous Dinosaurs toob, but with almost all the dinosaurs re-colored, most notable the tan Dimetrodon, completely black Carnotaurus, and the blue Acrocanthosaurus. I didn't pick it up because I already own the original toob, and went to the Safari website to see other toobs had been re-colored.

Carnivorous Dinosaurs TOOB

Prehistoric Sea Life Toob
Very slight changes, most obvious on the now brown Metriorynchus, and the yellow striped Henodus

Feathered Dinosaurs Toob

By far the best color changes; I love the Chasmosaurus and Proteceratops pattern, and the Caudipteryx, Sinornithosaurus look cool, too. Also, the white Tyrannosaurus looks pretty nifty!  ^-^

So, how do you guys like the repaints? Will anyone pick any of these up? I might buy a re-colored Feathered Dinosaurs Toob, if I find one in a museum gift shop or my Michaels.  ;)

Flaffy

WHY... WHY SAFARI??? The colours on the new Prehistoric Sea Life Toob is cheaper and lazier than its previous counterpart. The tylosaurus and the metry lost a lot of colouring detail and for the rest of the toob, they cut down on the paint and made them single coloured... The henodus looks unappealing and overall. For me, this toob turned from a great set to lazy chinasaurs. Luckily the nothosaurus didn't change much, it was the gem of the toob, the same cannot be said for the rest. I feel Safari is getting lazier and I do hope that they bring back the old colour schemes. (not that they really listen to us anyways) :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Goodbye old toob... hello lazy repaint! Old toob image: v

Flaffy

Oh, one more thing, the prehistoric life toob (mammals) got a lazier repaint as well! The Andrewsarchus lost it's different shade of orange/yellow on its back and lost the white colourings on it's body. We apparently have an albino megatherium, which is kinda cool. Macrauchenia lost its white colourings above its front legs and got its dark brown nose replaced with the same colour as its body. We also got lighter skinned humans/Neanderthals. Even the volcano has its different shades of grey replaced with the a single light grey. The doedicurus lost its dabs of grey.
WHY U GOTTA BE SO LAZY SAFARI?
Old toob image:

tanystropheus

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on May 22, 2016, 06:35:49 AM
Oh, one more thing, the prehistoric life toob (mammals) got a lazier repaint as well! The Andrewsarchus lost it's different shade of orange/yellow on its back and lost the white colourings on it's body. We apparently have an albino megatherium, which is kinda cool. Macrauchenia lost its white colourings above its front legs and got its dark brown nose replaced with the same colour as its body. We also got lighter skinned humans/Neanderthals. Even the volcano has its different shades of grey replaced with the a single light grey. The doedicurus lost its dabs of grey.
WHY U GOTTA BE SO LAZY SAFARI?
Old toob image:

...so lazy that they copied Schleich for the Macrauchenia  ;D

Flaffy

true, true. The Schleich macrauchenia is surprisingly well done for a Schleich model.  ^-^

Roselaar

Hmm, these are not much of improvements. Why didn't they jusr re-release the original toobs rather than bother to lazily repaint them at all?

stargatedalek

Given how many errors there were in the previous paint apps for the Prehistoric Marine Life toob I can't say I blame them for simplifying the patterns. I'd rather have that simplified Metriorhynchus than the incredibly sloppy one I got.

SBell

It's not uncommon for Safari, especially with the toobs to 'adjust' older toobs' paint schemes. The Prehistoric Life one was changed several years back. I was not aware of the newer ones, but overall they don't look as nice.

profnik

:D WOW
I saw Carnivorous Dinosaurs TOOB
          Prehistoric Sealife TOOB
          Feathered Dinosaurs TOOB
             they change color like octopus & chameleon

profnik

Quote from: profnik on May 22, 2016, 09:08:08 PM
:D WOW
I saw Carnivorous Dinosaurs TOOB
          Prehistoric Sealife TOOB
          Feathered Dinosaurs TOOB
             they change color of toy dinosaurs like octopus & chameleon

I like it

antorbitalfenestrae

The Velociraptor looks just like a keychain I have, except mine has stripes... what did the old Velociraptor look like?

Carcharodontosaurus

Which Velociraptor? Feathered or unfeathered?

The unfeathered one has come in brown with stripes before, then in gray, and now in green

The feathered Velociraptor looks almost identical, but this time it has a white face and lacks stripes on the hands.

antorbitalfenestrae

Quote from: Carcharodontosaurus on May 22, 2016, 11:25:09 PM
Which Velociraptor? Feathered or unfeathered?

The unfeathered one has come in brown with stripes before, then in gray, and now in green

The feathered Velociraptor looks almost identical, but this time it has a white face and lacks stripes on the hands.

Yup, it's the feathered one. I think I got it as a keychain from a museum. This is neat, i didn't know that they were originally from Toobs

terrorchicken

forget repaints, that whole carnivorous dino toob has to be updated!

Sim

The old colour scheme for the Feathered Dinos Velociraptor can be seen in the DTB review which also mentions the figures from this toob are also available as keyrings: http://dinotoyblog.com/2009/11/11/feathered-dinos-tube-safari-ltd/

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.