News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Toy Dinosaur hands

Started by CarnegieCollector, May 27, 2016, 03:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarnegieCollector

Ok, almost all of my dinosaur models have their hands pronated, may it be safari, collectA, schleich, papo. You name it. But for dinosaurs it was physically impossible for them to do this. So why do toy companies keep making dinosaurs with broken wrists? And where did it even start? It seems very strange to me. I mean seriously, the Carngie collection dinosaurs are the only ones that I have with their wrists in the right position, and that only goes for the newer ones. So, whats up with that?! Lol!
Is there an alternate universe in which dinosaurs collect figures of people?

Flaffy

Quote from: CarnegieCollector on May 27, 2016, 03:10:01 AM
Ok, almost all of my dinosaur models have their hands pronated, may it be safari, collectA, schleich, papo. You name it. But for dinosaurs it was physically impossible for them to do this. So why do toy companies keep making dinosaurs with broken wrists? And where did it even start? It seems very strange to me. I mean seriously, the Carngie collection dinosaurs are the only ones that I have with their wrists in the right position, and that only goes for the newer ones. So, whats up with that?! Lol!
Maybe you've just been collecting old models of dinosaurs. ;) Now we live in a time where most quality models of dinosaurs don't have their hands pronated. There are still a few companies that are lagging behind in terms of scientific accuracy(cough, schleich, cough). But pronated arms in dinosaur models from CollectA, Safari are long in the past. I think the problem is that you've been focusing on the Carnegie models and possibly ignored other companies new releases.

CarnegieCollector

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on May 27, 2016, 03:30:33 AM
Quote from: CarnegieCollector on May 27, 2016, 03:10:01 AM
Maybe you've just been collecting old models of dinosaurs. ;) Now we live in a time where most quality models of dinosaurs don't have their hands pronated. There are still a few companies that are lagging behind in terms of scientific accuracy(cough, schleich, cough). But pronated arms in dinosaur models from CollectA, Safari are long in the past. I think the problem is that you've been focusing on the Carnegie models and possibly ignored other companies new releases.

that very well could be! Lol! I have to say, i haven't been collecting dinosaur models for very long (i only have 30 models from various brands), and yes, the majority of my collection is made up of classic carnegies and schleichs. My logic: collect the older models before you buy the newer ones.

Flaffy

My logic: Buy what I want and desire.

acro-man

really?
most of my toys have correct hand position.

pronated hands may have been influenced by the mighty phenomenal JP velociraptor.
they are hard to find in today's toys because of science development and anatomy discoveries.
other elements like feathers are begining to thrive too.

naked, shrink-wrapped, pronated handed, over-sized velociraptors are an exception,
which are labelled "JP classic velociraptor" to salute the movie.
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

CarnegieCollector

The only models i have without pronated hands are as follows: carnegie 2009 spinosaurus, papo spinosaurus, carnegie oviraptor, carnegie 2014 T. rex, carnegie giganotosaurus, battat T. Rex, battat nanshingosaurus, and the carnegie diplodocus. All the others i own have pronated wrists. They cry every day and every night, having to live in constant pain and torture of broken hands...

acro-man

Quote from: CarnegieCollector on May 27, 2016, 04:02:24 AM
The only models i have without pronated hands are as follows: carnegie 2009 spinosaurus, papo spinosaurus, carnegie oviraptor, carnegie 2014 T. rex, carnegie giganotosaurus, battat T. Rex, battat nanshingosaurus, and the carnegie diplodocus. All the others i own have pronated wrists. They cry every day and every night, having to live in constant pain and torture of broken hands...

yeah,,,, eternal damnation and tormented souls.
trust me, the best way to avoid this is don't buy them...
no see no pain
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

stargatedalek

If you want to fix them you can try using hot water or a hair dryer to warp them into a preferred position. Or you can cut them off and then glue them back on but rotated.

CarnegieCollector

Quote from: acro-man on May 28, 2016, 01:29:42 AM
Quote from: CarnegieCollector on May 27, 2016, 04:02:24 AM

yeah,,,, eternal damnation and tormented souls.
trust me, the best way to avoid this is don't buy them...
no see no pain
Lol yeah, that would work!

CarnegieCollector

Quote from: stargatedalek on May 28, 2016, 01:30:55 AM
If you want to fix them you can try using hot water or a hair dryer to warp them into a preferred position. Or you can cut them off and then glue them back on but rotated.
thats a very good idea to use the hot water! Never thought of doing that before! Thanks!

amargasaurus cazaui

You may want to give a bit of research into the models you are talking about before altering them....it would be incorrect to say all dinosaurs could not pronate their hands. There are exceptions to this rule, as some species demonstrate. There are many hadrosaurid types that had arm bones which were "twisted" or as the animal grew, they slowly became turned so they were in a more pronated manner, without their being forced to pronate as more derived arms in animals do.
   There are also many psittacosaur specimens that display this alternate style of more or less permanent pronation.
This would imply some were in effect due to age, or perhaps bi-pedal vs quadrapedal lifestyles. In any event, by no means would it be correct to state all hadrosaurs or psittacosaurs HAD to have neutral or supinated hands, given that age and so forth seems to have played a role for some
   As the Carnegie collection offers a number of these........
Also of note, the hands on Doug Watson's ceratopsian models and Sauropelta are correctly posed as well, although that is Safari itself, not Carnegie.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

CarnegieCollector

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on May 28, 2016, 04:44:43 PM
You may want to give a bit of research into the models you are talking about before altering them....it would be incorrect to say all dinosaurs could not pronate their hands. There are exceptions to this rule, as some species demonstrate. There are many hadrosaurid types that had arm bones which were "twisted" or as the animal grew, they slowly became turned so they were in a more pronated manner, without their being forced to pronate as more derived arms in animals do.
   There are also many psittacosaur specimens that display this alternate style of more or less permanent pronation.
This would imply some were in effect due to age, or perhaps bi-pedal vs quadrapedal lifestyles. In any event, by no means would it be correct to state all hadrosaurs or psittacosaurs HAD to have neutral or supinated hands, given that age and so forth seems to have played a role for some
Also of note, the hands on Doug Watson's ceratopsian models and Sauropelta are correctly posed as well, although that is Safari itself, not Carnegie.
wow! Very interesting! I was wondering bout' hadrosaurs, as it seems uncomfortable and un-natural walking with non-pronated wrists (in the way they walk i mean. I understand that sauropods and ceratopsians walked without pronating their hands). And, the majority of my dinosaurs with "pronated wrists" are indeed quadrupeds and hadrosaurs, so i guess i dont have that many wrong ones! Thanks for the info! And it seems as though your favorite dinosaur is psittacosaurus! Lol!

amargasaurus cazaui

I guess it might be fair to say I have a passing like for a few of the psittacosaurus types......just a small one.  ;) ;) ;)
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

stargatedalek

Didn't derived ceratopsians pronate their hands? Or at the very least point their toes forwards?

Thyreophorans are shown so often with pronated wrists and it bothers me to no end because (unlike with theropods) no one ever seems to realize it's wrong.

CarnegieCollector

Quote from: stargatedalek on May 28, 2016, 09:35:28 PM
Didn't derived ceratopsians pronate their hands? Or at the very least point their toes forwards?

Thyreophorans are shown so often with pronated wrists and it bothers me to no end because (unlike with theropods) no one ever seems to realize it's wrong.
iv been soooooooo used to seeing triceratops with their toes pointing forwards, that it seems weird seeing them with non pronated hands

Dinoguy2

Not really, ceratopsid hands looked like this (top row):

Note that they're not pronated, but they LOOK pronated because the first few toes are bigger, longer, and have hooves, while the last few toes are sunken and clawless. This basically makes one side of the wrist the "front" and the other side the "back", despite the fact that the wrist itself is pointed away from the body.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

CarnegieCollector

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on May 29, 2016, 01:13:18 PM

Not really, ceratopsid hands looked like this (top row):

Note that they're not pronated, but they LOOK pronated because the first few toes are bigger, longer, and have hooves, while the last few toes are sunken and clawless. This basically makes one side of the wrist the "front" and the other side the "back", despite the fact that the wrist itself is pointed away from the body.
cool! Btw, thats an adorable triceratops. I shall call him "Ned"

Dinoguy2

Quote from: CarnegieCollector on May 28, 2016, 07:04:27 PM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on May 28, 2016, 04:44:43 PM
wow! Very interesting! I was wondering bout' hadrosaurs, as it seems uncomfortable and un-natural walking with non-pronated wrists (in the way they walk i mean. I understand that sauropods and ceratopsians walked without pronating their hands). And, the majority of my dinosaurs with "pronated wrists" are indeed quadrupeds and hadrosaurs, so i guess i dont have that many wrong ones! Thanks for the info! And it seems as though your favorite dinosaur is psittacosaurus! Lol!

IIRC, sauropods actually DID have pronated hands, with the forearm bones locked into a permanent twist of some kind, I guess like amargaaaurus described. Read this on SV-POW I think but can't find the source...
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Sim

Yes, some types of dinosaurs like sauropods, hadrosaurs and thyreophorans appear to have achieved a pretty high degree of pronation:

http://comments.deviantart.com/1/581758616/4039621243

http://www.askabiologist.org.uk/answers/viewtopic.php?id=4288

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.