News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Super scupty HELP

Started by forsakenraptor, January 07, 2016, 04:35:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

forsakenraptor

For people that use Super scupty to make new horns and teeth do you bake the whole dino or bake the parts separate

tyrantqueen

Bake the teeth/claws/horns first and then you  can insert them into the soft unbaked clay.

You can bake super sculpey more than once btw.

Paleogene Pals

Bake some parts separate and bake in stages so that you don't accidentally destroy previous work. Sculpey becomes brittle if baked too much, so take care. I do a 50/50 mixture of Super Sculpey and Sculpey III which seems to handle being baked repeatedly quite well.

stargatedalek

I think they are referring to adding new parts to a pre-existing figure. Which I'm curious of as well, I assume you'd bake them separately and then glue them on.

forsakenraptor

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 07, 2016, 04:12:35 PM
I think they are referring to adding new parts to a pre-existing figure. Which I'm curious of as well, I assume you'd bake them separately and then glue them on.

Exactly i seen a few people do it and tried molding afew separate pieces. but never easy to get the right look after cooked and trying to add to the mold. was seeing if people mold dino and all with the added clay

Newt

I would not bake the figure; the plastic may soften and slump when heated, and the paint may be damaged as well.

If you can't get the effect you want baking the Sculpey separately, you might be better off trying a different material, such as Aves Apoxie or Milliput, that doesn't require baking. That way you can add clay directly to the figure.

forsakenraptor

Quote from: Newt on January 07, 2016, 07:05:41 PM
I would not bake the figure; the plastic may soften and slump when heated, and the paint may be damaged as well.

If you can't get the effect you want baking the Sculpey separately, you might be better off trying a different material, such as Aves Apoxie or Milliput, that doesn't require baking. That way you can add clay directly to the figure.

thanks by the way i took a pic f the same bug last year http://forsakenraptor.deviantart.com/art/Shield-Bug-Nymph-467703139

Newt

You've got some fantastic bug photos!

Redonix76

I'm going to throw a new one out there. Have you tried Epoxy putty? When I sculpt, I use both Super Sculpey Firm and magic Sculpt (epoxy putty). once the 2 different putties are combined you have about 30 - 45 minutes to work with it then it'll start to harden. It's hard like a rock, super tough and not brittle like Sculpey. I Use it to make a bunch of teeth and horns which I can attached later on.

PS: I've been using Super Sculpey since the late 90's...I recommend baking low and slow at around 200 degrees with a much longer bake time. This will keep it from cracking yet giving it a strong cure. Also it wont burn or give off smoke. The box recommends 275 at 15 minutes for square inch...which is what everyone does but I feel is too high and too fast.

Hope this helps!!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.