You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Giganotosaurus vs. charcarodontosaurus

Started by CarnegieCollector, July 19, 2016, 12:59:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quote from: suspsy on July 20, 2016, 02:27:16 PM
Given that this is a thread about a fantasy fight between two animals living on different continents that were separated by an ocean, realism goes right out the window. It's called having a sense of humour, Sim. You may want to try it.

Well, I thought it could be seen that my responses were humorous while also incorporating facts.  Even if this thread is about a fantasy fight, I didn't think that aspects of what these animals were like must be arbitrarily ignored.  Looking at posts by others in this thread I think I'm not the only one who didn't think that.  I wasn't expecting a personally offensive response.

suspsy

Sim, you lectured me on how T. rex wasn't actually perceived as a king by its peers in real life, and how it was prone to parasites, both of which I am very well aware. There was no indication of any humour on your part.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

stargatedalek

Neither Giganotosaurus nor Charcarodontosaurus was particularly suited for "brawling". Whereas the examples of lions, hyenas, wolves and coyotes are all far more suited to it. Both theropods specialized in hunting sauropods, using their comparatively weak but large bites to shear of large pieces of flesh and then escape beyond reach. Highly specialized predators like this were probably poorly suited to fighting other large predators. For the purpose of having the two fight they may as well be the same animal fighting among itself, no clear winner.

Sim

Quote from: suspsy on July 20, 2016, 04:24:42 PM
Sim, you lectured me on how T. rex wasn't actually perceived as a king by its peers in real life, and how it was prone to parasites, both of which I am very well aware. There was no indication of any humour on your part.

Your posts were clearly humorous.  My responses to your posts were thus continuing the humorous conversation.  What I said was still intended to be humorous, even if it was based on things that are true.  Of course I didn't think you believed what you were saying could happen.  I thought it would be interesting to add some realism to the humorous suggestions.  I thought it could be seen my responses were humorous since I was responding to your obviously humorous posts, and from the following:

Quote from: Sim on July 20, 2016, 01:37:57 PM
Quote from: suspsy on July 20, 2016, 02:55:57 AM
Quote from: Sim on July 20, 2016, 12:42:42 AM
I agree with Gwangi.  Also, what some humans who really like Tyrannosaurus see it as isn't what animals that coexisted with Tyrannosaurus saw it as.

You're right. The edmontosaurs revere T. rex not merely as their king, but as a god among mortals. Indeed, they willingly flip over on their backs whenever he walks by. To be selected for devouring is considered the highest honour!

If so, what does that make the parasites that appear to have devoured the bone of living Tyrannosaurus individuals, eventually causing these dinosaurs to starve to death?
Here you responded humorously to my reply, so I didn't think you thought I seriously believed some people thought other animals thought of Tyrannosaurus like they do.  I also asked about what parasites would be like in the obviously humorous context you described.

Quote from: Sim on July 20, 2016, 01:37:57 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on July 20, 2016, 03:13:48 AM
Quote from: suspsy on July 20, 2016, 02:55:57 AM
You're right. The edmontosaurs revere T. rex not merely as their king, but as a god among mortals. Indeed, they willingly flip over on their backs whenever he walks by. To be selected for devouring is considered the highest honour!

Dinosaur society must be similar to what we saw in "The Lion King", where the prey animals celebrate the birth of their predator.

Yeah, that's weird.  And it's great evidence for suspsy's creative suggestions occurring only in the human mind and not in nature, as can be seen by comparing "The Lion King" to the modern African ecosystem. ;)
I thought it would be clear I was being humorous here.  Otherwise it would mean I thought it could be possible prehistoric ecosystems would be similar to what is seen in The Lion King.  I even included the winking face to show I was being lighthearted.

CarnegieCollector

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 20, 2016, 05:03:54 PM
Neither Giganotosaurus nor Charcarodontosaurus was particularly suited for "brawling". Whereas the examples of lions, hyenas, wolves and coyotes are all far more suited to it. Both theropods specialized in hunting sauropods, using their comparatively weak but large bites to shear of large pieces of flesh and then escape beyond reach. Highly specialized predators like this were probably poorly suited to fighting other large predators. For the purpose of having the two fight they may as well be the same animal fighting among itself, no clear winner.

Thank you for your answer. It makes a lot of sense. I think this topic got a little......off topic......

So it seems it would come down to luck. Which ever individual was more experienced, stronger, persistent, etc.

Thank you all for your answers!

Heck, as far as we know, Giganotosaurus and charcarodontosaurus coulda been like, "yo sup my brother from Argentina?" "Doin' good, how bout you man? How's that Egyptian sun?"
Is there an alternate universe in which dinosaurs collect figures of people?

Gwangi

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 20, 2016, 05:03:54 PM
Neither Giganotosaurus nor Charcarodontosaurus was particularly suited for "brawling". Whereas the examples of lions, hyenas, wolves and coyotes are all far more suited to it.

I'm not totally sold on that line of reasoning but either way the question was "In nature why would large carnivorous animals fight?" I was speaking of predators in general in that instance, not about those two theropods specifically.

spinosaurus1

i agree with the post above. diet has little to nothing to tell when it comes to how an animal will defend themselves in a given situation. not to mention that the idea of these theropods feeding on souropods in such a way is merely speculation in its own right. theres virtually nothing that i can see from either theropod that would hinders their capabilities to engage similar sized animals. both bites would of worked wonders in causing extreme amounts of shock and blood loss.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.